Sign in to follow this  
Maurice

What are you reading now ?

16 hours ago, Guest tolly devlin said:

Move on Up is a great book that examines the music & society of Chicago's Soul music scene. I have just finished two books by young Chicago authors Stateway Gardens By Jasmon Drain , a book of short stories & Everywhere You Don't Belong  by Gabriel Bump. Also reading & rereading some Baldwin for Evanston's year of Baldwin ( hopefully it will be continued once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted). Also reading a book of interviews with Percival Everett & various 33&1/3 books on Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, The Wild Tchoupitoulas & Jimi Hendrix. The Baraka autobiography is avery good book. Read it when it first came out, got him to sign it  when he came thru Chicago at one of our long gone Black  booksellers.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Move on Up. Ah, see you have a interest in Hendrix. I've many books on the great man. Which Baldwin books are you rereading ? 

Oh, why don't you register with the forum?

Guest tolly devlin

The books scheduled for Evanston's Year of Baldwin are Go Tell it On The Mountain, which I  have read twice, Another Country which I read in college back in the 70's & Giovanni's Room ,which I have not read. BTW I have registered with this group several times but apparently it must have lapsed.

On 22 April 2020 at 1:10 PM, Guest tolly devlin said:

The books scheduled for Evanston's Year of Baldwin are Go Tell it On The Mountain, which I  have read twice, Another Country which I read in college back in the 70's & Giovanni's Room ,which I have not read. BTW I have registered with this group several times but apparently it must have lapsed.

Have you read any of Baldwins  essays at all? The Fire Next Time is excellent.

If you have trouble registering please contact Troy.

These three little gems are well worth a read.

image.png.8c9cdf978a6f831fa8ddde51f49bdd0c.png

Bought this a while back. Only just started reading it. Loosely based on the Emmett Till murder.image.png.01e110ba005f50cf02f0434641c99e3a.png

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of beautifully crafted illustrations and a diverse cast of characters. The children dance off the pages, assisted by colorful graphics and an endearing message to get moving! 

8699B975-F4AF-457C-9ECC-E480EAE8194A_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

I am about 1/3 of the way through Hiroona - An Historical Romance in Poetic Form, which is about the 2nd Carib War in St Vincent and the great paramount Black Carib (Garifuna) chief Chatoyer. Before that I finished Segu by Maryse Conde which was an enthralling historical fiction novel. I wrote a review about it here on my blog. Highly recommended reading!

hiroona.jpg

Segu.jpg

I AM EXCITED!

I am waiting now for my book that I just purchased from this community:

BARRACOON by Nora Neale Hurston.

Oh, I am so excited. This book is my passion.

My ancestor--my Great grandmother was stolen from East Africa many years after the Slave Ship Trade

was supposed to be outlawed! Like this book, which is about a man who was stolen from West Africa 

and survived the voyage in 1860 and lived to tell his story, likewise my Great grandmother lived to be old.

Her story was passed down through my relatives and she lived to be 'just' over 100 years old.

One of my aunt who knew her, just died last year! And, I learned a lot about my Great grandmother from her and others.

So, I am looking forward to reading Barracoon!

WHAT AM I READING RIGHT NOW!?

Well although this author is NOT African American, however, for right now, I am reading his book and it is amazing!

The book is called A Dwelling Place by Erksine Clarke. It is about slavery in Georgia. He is a Harvard Graduate and his 

book won awards. It's so hard to put down. I have read about 400 pages into the total 600+ pages. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, Maurice said:

Just read a further review of Barracoon and it sounds like a fascinating read. I'm going to add it to my wants list. 

@Maurice I completely missed this post.

Awesome!

• Like 1