Author's Earlier Novel Still Pleases

Before David doc Robertson wrote Body and Soul, A Year and Forever and others, he wrote a family tree, Taking Root.  This novel still achieves its goal to put reader on the pages along with the characters, as evidenced in the newest, totally unsolicited, Amazon five-star review:

Loved it!!

I laughed, I cried, I mourned, I celebrated! I was a part of this family during their entire journey. I am an AVID reader and this is by far one of the best novels I have read in a very long time.

A few words can mean a lot.

In the story, brother and sister, Roman and Virginia, listen to their elders but still face heartbreaking and fulfilling experiences in the Watts – Willowbrook area of Los Angeles when colored became black, and folks grew tired of waiting for civil rights, promised over 100 years earlier. 

During those days of innocence in Los Angeles from the 1960s through the 90s, they take part in the fights of their generation through troubled times and assume responsibility for its mistakes.  They later take the place of the folks ahead of them and then face the frustration of being labeled out of date.

Through it all, they make their mark in the community.  Their legacy makes it through two riots, the Vietnam War, the fight against drugs and gang violence.  The story also features the soundtrack of the times to stir the reader's own memories.

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Tree-Taking-Root-ebook/dp/B009437ZQ6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1FDNH5L8RBEDM&keywords=david+doc+robertson&qid=1567379810&s=gateway&sprefix=david+doc+%2Caps%2C948&sr=8-2 

a family tree paper cover web.jpg

• Like 1