What are you listening to now?

Just for a bit of fun, what are you or was digging ? 

Just finished listening to my own made up musical sounds on Spotify. Kind of usual suspects , Curtis Mayfield, Undisputed Truth, Funkadelic, Sly and the Family Stone, Jr Walker,Edwin Starr,Issac Hayes and many more. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 5:13 AM, Maurice said:

Just finished listening to my own made up musical sounds on Spotify. Kind of usual suspects , Curtis Mayfield, Undisputed Truth, Funkadelic, Sly and the Family Stone, Jr Walker,Edwin Starr,Issac Hayes and many more. 

Oldies but goodies! 

22 hours ago, Maurice said:

The vast majority of the music I listen to cover the years, roughly 1964- 74, give or take. But blues mainly is the Chess 50s stuff.

@Maurice Oh yes! Sometimes when I listen to some of that music, I feel as though I wish that time would just stand still...

For me, that time period was like a golden age of music-- so free spirited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3 January 2020 at 1:03 PM, Chevdove said:

@Maurice Oh yes! Sometimes when I listen to some of that music, I feel as though I wish that time would just stand still...

You're not wrong there. Sometimes,I'm sitting there with a particular album on and I think how lucky I am. A real and authentic age of music. 

This baby arrived less than a week ago and I'm giving it its first airing right now.

WOW.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Troy said:

I just finished listening to Donny Hathaway's Everything is Everything.

This is the first time I've ever heard this song. It's a combination of gospel and blues, if that's really a distinction. Can't say I like it. This strikes me as field slave coping music! Granted we needed this back in the day. But it ain't groovy or nothing! 😀

On 1/3/2020 at 5:03 AM, Chevdove said:

I think the 80s was the most perfect age of music. I wish time stood still in that decade. It was the first decade of the 20th century without war or recession; and the music reflected that. Lots of fun, heartwarming, unity music from the 80s.

But the 70s was the last decade for true black creative music, meaning when black people wrote, produced and performed MUSIC. Janice–Marie Johnson and Perry Kibble  (Taste of Honey) are so sexy playing the guitar and bass guitar in "Boogie Oogie Oogie." I love disco and funk so much because they were so US...so groovy and so soul-cleansing. Black people writing, producing and creating music was the norm in the 1970s. We played and perfected every instrument. Rap and vocals overall took over music in the 1980s.

@Maurice if you've never seen it, you will appreciate this Jimmy Hendrix interview on the Dick Cavett Show in 1969. We'll never see another Hendrix.

We'll never see another 70s or 80s either. Both decades are essentially considered politically incorrect these days. All those 80s odes to women by men, and women singing odes to men will never happen again. This society doesn't want men loving women and women loving men anymore. Whitney Houston's first great song, "All At Once," didn't even chart in the USA in 1985. But itt was top 5 in Belgium, Italy and the Netherlands. I think this is Whitney's greatest song of all time! Don't get me going on music though! LOL!

• Like 2

Hey @Kareem I'm listening to Everything is Everything right now 🙂 the song was new to me when I posted about it earlier in the month. Sorry you don't like the cut. Hathaway was one of the most talented musicians if his era. The whole album, of the same name, is sounding pretty good so far...

I enjoy funk, but it is a pretty simple form of music. Most of my favorite funk jams from the 70s and 80s sound pretty boring listening to them today, in isolation -- without a few drinks and friends around -- most really don't hold up overtime. Every generation, even this one, has great musicians. But like literary fiction most people avoid this for simpler pleasures...

11 hours ago, Kareem said:

I think the 80s was the most perfect age of music. I wish time stood still in that decade.

@Kareem I can relate because both the 70s and the 80s was my time! I entered my high school age during these times so I can understand the transitions 

from the 70s to the 80s.

Oh yes, I love that song Boogie Oogie Oogie. Don't get me started! LOL. 

We'll never see another 70s or 80s either. Both decades are essentially considered politically incorrect these days.

Those were the times! And although I was very young in the 60s, I was so surprised though, when I later learn that some of the songs I heard actually were remake of earlier Black people. For example,

I used to love hearing Cher, sang this song with the lyrics; Our Day Will Come. Man she really had a unique voice, But then years later, I was completely stunned to find out that this song was initially sung by a Black woman and when I heard her, I just couldn't believe it; she blew me away.

And, remember Michael Bolton singing 'Sittin on the Dock of the Bay'!? WHEW! He has a unique voice.

But, because my Step-father was in the Navy, and he just loved that song, and played it and sang it a lot, I already

knew it was a Black man that sang it earlier, and man!!!--- When a Black man 'who can sing' sings-- It's like going

into a trance... drift me away...

Oh how I miss those days, dreaming about 'sittin on the dock of a bay' and strolling along the beach with a botha, in uniform, ...

Yall just don't know...

Anyways, but back to the 80s, that song brings to mind Bobby Caldwell's song too, What you won't do For Love and,

then Billy Ocean, Oh my, my, my ... 

All those 80s odes to women by men, and women singing odes to men will never happen again. This society doesn't want men loving women and women loving men anymore.

There you go! Hopefully, we can bring back those days. I believe in it!

Whitney Houston's first great song, "All At Once," didn't even chart in the USA in 1985. But itt was top 5 in Belgium, Italy and the Netherlands. I think this is Whitney's greatest song of all time!

Really!? I don't think I've ever heard it! So, I will be searching for it!

Don't get me going on music though! LOL!

LOL! Too late now. You have to keep on... 

• Like 1

@ Kareem, yes I've seen that clip of Hendrix. It's excellent. 

As a youngster , I suppose around the age of 10, the first music that really got me was the Glam Rock bands like T Rex,Slade and the Sweet. All the rage over here in the early 70s. Wasn't long before I started listening to my brothers Beatles albums and I was hooked immediately. They were the first people i really got into in a big way. And I do mean big. Come the late 70s, punk and new wave took a hold and I got into the Jam, the Buzzcocks and the Undertones. Also, the Mod revival was upon us and through that I started listening to 60s soul and rhythm n blues along with others like The Who, the Small Faces and the Kinks. That era of music has never left me. Those fantastic soul people like Otis,the Impressions and James Brown.  I do find the late 60s and early 70s time for soul as being the most interesting. Issac Hayes,Funkadelic and the like were coming out with some absolutely amazing sounds.And the blues of Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin  Wolf and Muddy. It was through 60s psychedelia that I got into Hendrix massively. Always aware of him, I listened very closely to his official studio albums , I now own lots of live stuff too. I've around 25 of his albums now. I'm a very proud owner.

Oops, sorry for rambling, ha ha. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, Troy said:

Hathaway was one of the most talented musicians if his era.

I'm not knocking the musician. This particular song just doesn't move me.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, Troy said:

I enjoy funk, but it is a pretty simple form of music.

The 70s were the first full decade black people experienced in this country without slavery or Jim Crow. Disco and funk reflected that. We had fun, relaxed and displayed our musical prowess. It takes talent to play instruments, read and write music. So I'd disagree that funk is simple. But it reflects a relatively simple time when black people finally felt a little relief from the boots on our necks.

22 hours ago, Chevdove said:

And, remember Michael Bolton singing 'Sittin on the Dock of the Bay'!?

The only music that is unique to Europeans is opera. And nobody likes that crap except Europeans. Everything else they stole from cultured people. Michael Bolton's entire career is plagiarism. The Isley Brothers won a $5.2 million lawsuit against Bolton in 2001 for the latter plagiarizing their song "Love is a Wonderful Thing." That Katy Perry chick plagiarized a Christian rap group for one of her biggest hits. If litigation wasn't so expensive and time-consuming, I'd bet 90% of white "artists" would be exposed for who and what they are. That's why white supremacist society ushered in rap in the late 80s. They wanted black people to be talentless copycats too, like them.

And man, that Billy Ocean tape with Caribbean Queen, Suddenly, and Mystery Lady might be one of the best albums of all time. The 1980s was the closest the United States will ever get to being a racial melting pot of peace and understanding. And it was the music and television shows that did it. I believe white supremacist society recognized that they were humanizing black people too much in the 80s and they quickly propped up gangsta rap and all those hood movies in the 1990s to destroy what the 80s had done for our overall image.

I wasn't alive in the 1960s at all. But must say I am a big fan of all the original Motown sounds and classic rock. Many of the 80s biggest hits that you wouldn't know were remakes came from the 1960s. Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'N Roll" is a one of the biggest hits of the 1980s. It's a remake by a 70s group called the Arrows. Bananarama's "Venus" was a #1 hit for several weeks in the mid-1980s. It's a remake from the 1960s-70s band Shocking Blue.  Tiffany hit #1 with "I Think We're Alone Now." All the kids my age back then had no idea it was a song by Tommy James and the Shondells. There hasn't been much originality since the 1970s.

21 hours ago, Maurice said:

As a youngster , I suppose around the age of 10, the first music that really got me was the Glam Rock bands like T Rex,Slade and the Sweet.

It's funny how the US and UK were very petty in the 1970s and 1980s as far as what bands they allowed from the other country to rank on their respective charts. I was introduced to T Rex and Sweet only because they were played at my local skating rink in the 1980s. My local public library had a HUGE catalog of albums and 8-track tapes, along with a great librarian who knew his stuff about music (a former DJ who influenced my career). The first paper I ever wrote in school was in 3rd or 4th grade and it was about glam rock. It definitely influenced all the 80s hairbands and some of the others wearing outrageous outfits on stage.

21 hours ago, Maurice said:

Wasn't long before I started listening to my brothers Beatles albums and I was hooked immediately.

I don't know why I could never get into the Beatles. Maybe because I always wanted to be different and everyone liked them. Don't get me wrong. There are several Beatles songs I like. I was a black kid who grew up in a white town so basically whatever my friends' parents listened to, that was my experience since my parents were all about soul, funk and R&B. My town was more about Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Janice Joplin and Canadian rockers like Bachman-Turner Overdrive from the 1970s. You and I could probably sit around, smoke weed and listen to music for hours though! :)

• Like 2

@Kareem, I think ,at least to an extent, folk music was quite unique to Europe in particular the UK though a kind of folk at least existed in the States too. Not including Dylan, people like Davy Graham and Joan Baez. Here Bert Jansch, Fairport Convention and Pentangle reigned supreme. Lots of pubs and clubs playing host to many folk artists who quite a lot sang about old tales of old folk from rural England,Wales etc. 

All I can remember from the 60s themselves,musically was seeing the Beatles performing Hey Jude on tv. I was only five.

I suppose I do tend to listen to the likes of the Stones, early Floyd and more obscure bands than I do of the Beatles now. Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young are great. But more recently having been trailing through the web looking for lesser known soul and funk . Hence that recent album I found,Barnyard Soul which is just superb. 

Add a little vino,just a little to go with the weed and some decent sounds and I bet you just might see Lucy in the sky with diamonds or a purple haze 😀 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Maurice said:

I think ,at least to an extent, folk music was quite unique to Europe in particular the UK though a kind of folk at least existed in the States too.

That's fair to say. I've never heard of Davy Graham and Joan Baez. I'll downloiad some of their stuff and have a listen this weekend.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Maurice said:

Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young are great.

I was introduced to them with Neil Young's solo stuff in the 1980s and 1990s. The grunge and ska sounds from the 1990s also got me into the Stones and Pink Floyd. The blinking light on my "Pulse" CD box of Floyd still blinks! 😀

• Like 1

@Kareem Joan Baez released many many albums . She was a very good friend of Bob Dylan too. I think I own about 3 of Graham's albums and they are pretty good. 

As for Neil Young , i prefer his early stuff and a little of what was then his previous band, Buffalo Springfield. I don't yet own Pulse. Probably prefer the short lived Syd Barrett era.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:58 AM, Maurice said:

One of my favourite Joan Baez songs.

https://youtu.be/g1fpDWXwfso

This song and Baez's sound reminds me of Sheryl Crow, who I really like.

I'll listen to more of Joan Baez based on your recommendation. There were a lot of folksy ladies like this in the early 1990s along with Sheryl Crow. The 10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant) are also high on my early 90s favorites.

Truth be told, one of my first girlfriends when I was very young was a white chick who played the violin. So 10,000 Maniacs kind of reminds me of that! :) But I've always loved the sound of violins and other string instruments (cello, viola, etc.). Nile Rodgers in the late 1970s used them all to perfection in his music, and it's always cute white chicks playing those violins and violas!

Again there will never be another 70s or 80s. The talent to compose and perform the music, the love, the respect between black and white...all that cannot exist today...sadly. We tried so hard in the USA to fix racism in the 70s and 80s. The powers-that-be just didn't want that to happen. In sum...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AAAAHHHHH! I LOVE CHERYL CROW! No you didn't!!! LOL.

Man! That was so good! Such a release! Man! Thank you @Kareem

@Maurice Thank you for posting. WHEW! WHEW! I LOVE THE BEATLES.

Man! I could listend to 'Hey Jude' over and over and over... 

This has made my day!!!  

Lol! I ain't listening to no mo!--for now because I won't stop.

I love CHIC and KC & the Sunshine Band. Man!

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, Chevdove said:

AAAAHHHHH! I LOVE CHERYL CROW! No you didn't!!! LOL.

What you know about Sheryl? 😊 That's my lady.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, Chevdove said:

I love CHIC

Nile Rodgers is perhaps the most underrated musician of all time. He, along with Bernard Edwards playing the bass...there's nothing better in music for me. Norma Jean Wright, Alfa Anderson and Luci Martin were the vocalists and I love all of them. They were featured at different points between 1976-1980. God I miss black people MAKING music.

2 hours ago, Maurice said:

Are you into the Stones at all? You know, those little bleeders who stole from black music ha ha.

90% of musicians have stolen from black music. That said, the Stones were many of my close friends' parents favorite band. I don't know if I like them, or if I just associate a lot of their songs with childhood memories; thus I like them. Either way, they made an impact on me for sure. I always thought Mick Jagger was a crazy-looking mofo! LOL!

His collab with Michael Jackson in the mid-80s was really when I start figuring out who Mick Jagger and the Stones were.

Of course Michael normalized many of those Brits in our lives! LOL!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Maurice said:

Heres a vid of them covering a great great Stevie Wonder track.

@Maurice That was the first time I ever saw that video. In the paragraph below, it said that was Quincy Jones daughter?

I never knew!

I was too young to be in the main stream with a lot of this kind of music, but I grew to get to know about the Rolling Stones and, yes,

I do like them. I like Mick Jagger. But when I think about the Rolling Stones, I think about Mick, and don't know all that much more about the

group, as a whole. 

For some strange reason too, whenever I hear about Mick Jagger, I always think about Carly Simone, but I don't remember what she has to do

with this?

Anyway, thanks for posting this, it's bringing back some memories.

What you know about Sheryl? 😊 That's my lady.

@Kareem Not much! LOL.

But, I listen to this song you posted, and Ahhhhhh! brings back memories!

I love this song!

I never saw this video before, and was never into watching videos.

I usually don't watch videos, deliberately because,  I always feel that I am somehow being conditioned to watch someone elses vision, and it takes away

from my own freedom of interpreting music that way I need to when I listen. But, I did watch this video, and I love it!!!

She is so pretty and this video makes be remember being a teenager in California, walking on the beaches and just enjoying life!

I will come back to look at the other music and videos you posted.

I love the song Good Times, by Chic!

And, I am learning a lot about how some of the artist came together to make songs that I loved in the past.

I knew about Michale Jackson and Paul, but I didn't know about Mick Jagger and etc. 

This is interesting!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:41 PM, Chevdove said:

And, I am learning a lot about how some of the artist came together to make songs that I loved in the past.

I knew about Michale Jackson and Paul, but I didn't know about Mick Jagger and etc. 

This is interesting!

I think you’ve heard the Mick/Michael song before. It’s on that Jacksons “Victory” album from 1984. It was their 14th album or something like that. All SIX of them. Wasn’t the “Jackson 5” at that point! :) Jermaine was part of this one. The other song you probably know from the album is “Torture.”

I deliberately put a Youtube “video” in here without the actual music video since you said you don’t really like that. For the record, I don't like that "Soak Up The Sun" Sheryl Crow video either. Love the song though.

I loved music videos in the 80s and early 90s. The post-produced 70s music videos are great too. The thumbnail/photo throughout the above "Torture" video is also the Victory album cover. Does that visual ring a bell at all with you?

Now that made me think of Anita Ward. LOL! :) But I’m using a video of this because Anita was a vocalist, and didn’t pretend to be anything else. It's not overproduced, like the Sheryl Crow "Soak Up The Sun" video. Read Anita Ward is a school teacher now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 7:36 AM, Maurice said:

The other Stones are well worth looking into. EspeciallyBrian Jones. He formed and named the band in the first place. He died tragically in1969 under mysterious circumstances and id say he was without doubt the most gifted musician in the band. 

@Maurice WOW! This is new to me. Yes, I will read up on Brian Jones. 

So, he formed the band and named the band; that's interesting.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:28 AM, Kareem said:

hink you’ve heard the Mick/Michael song before. It’s on that Jacksons “Victory” album from 1984. It was their 14th album or something like that. All SIX of them. Wasn’t the “Jackson 5” at that point! :) Jermaine was part of this one. The other song you probably know from the album is “Torture.”

@Maurice I did read up a little on Jones, and yes, it is very fascinating history! WOW. I also learned about the two Blues musicians that influence him from Mississippi--never heard of them either. This is the kind of story that I'd love to see in a film documentary. Amazing!

@Kareem I love that Victory album, but because I am not well versed on the details, I don't know what you are referring to. I don't know about the other song ofn the Torture album either. 

For the record, I don't like that "Soak Up The Sun" Sheryl Crow video either. Love the song though.

Lol! No way! I never seen that video, but I loved it! It was very stylish and not gaudy at all.

Does that visual ring a bell at all with you?

NO! LOL! Nice pic though! There's six of them. I recognize Michael only! 

The music is very nice. Wasn't Jermaine the one really good on guitar?

Is Mick Jagger playing in this recording?

Really!? Well, I remember how I would play that song, ring my bell, over and over and over again! 

I still love that song!

On 3/6/2020 at 10:49 AM, Chevdove said:

Yes, his name was Robert Johnson. 

I think he also influenced Elmore James. Not much is written about Robert Johnson but the article I read said that he

became sort of like a legend.

This is a delayed reaction-- 

I would have never thought in a million years that two African American men had something to do with the kind of music that

the Rolling Stones played.

• Like 1

On 9 March 2020 at 12:27 PM, Chevdove said:

This is a delayed reaction-- 

I would have never thought in a million years that two African American men had something to do with the kind of music that

the Rolling Stones played.

The Stones love of blues was the reason they got together. As for Robert Johnson, he was supposed to have sold his soul to the devil at a crossroads. There's a great doc on him on Netflix. Elmore James was a huge influence on Brian. That slide guitar, man 😀