What are you listening to now?

Maybe you were thinking about "Jill Scott" @Chevdove 🙂

I was speaking to a room. Full of people during Black history month about Carter G. Woodson when it dawned on me, by the reactions, that no one had heard of him. I asked the class of grad students in Library science, and one lone sista two of the only Black people (women) in the room had ever heard of him.

It is interesting the people I assume others must know but don't. As I get older the general population knows little about the stuff I know and care about. Maybe this is why so little of pop culture interests me...

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party and y'all done ate up all the chips and dip and drank all the punch, too!!

But, I thought I'd add a little something - and something quite different than most of what's been shared.  I'm an older Brother, who digs a lot of what has been posted already, but a couple of friends (who don't know each other and have different tastes) have recently turned me on to some music that some here at AALBC might dig.

First up, the 'British' (really Afro-Caribbean) saxophone player Shabaka and the Ancestors.  Most of the band members are from South Africa and they are jamming.  A brief introduction:

Fronting three different groups may seem like hubris, but the energy and vision of London-based saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings is not easily contained. This second album from his alliance with assorted South African musicians is both calmer and more ominous than his work with the Comet Is Coming and Sons of Kemet. There are no synth squalls and fractured beats – instead, Hutchings’s tenor and clarinet are pitched against an acoustic ensemble driven by double bass and awash with Fender Rhodes piano, an approach that often echoes South Africa’s distinct jazz lineage.

The mood is futurist, however. Hutchings is fond of apocalyptic warnings, and the fiery declamations here, co-written with poet Siyabonga Mthembu, are suitably full of dread, beginning with the compulsive 10-minute blast of They Who Must Die. Another strand to Hutchings’s playing is its lyrical, contemplative quality, captured by the churchy Go My Heart, Go to Heaven, the rootsy, determined We Will Work (on Redefining Manhood) and the husky closer Teach Me to Be Vulnerable. Such pieces are a counterpoint to Hutchings’s talk of “what happens when life as we know it can’t continue”. A remarkable, shamanic talent.  

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/28/shabaka-and-the-ancestors-we-are-sent-here-by-history-review

This is one tune:  https://youtu.be/TnkjcS_yTfA 

For a more extensive experience, here's their live performance from a couple years ago, which I really enjoyed.

https://youtu.be/IU4vpE2eGho

Damani

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the song in the video, but the rest of the album ... meh. It is mostly covers done better by others.

I always liked that song by the Impressions. The video was weird though, did the yiu notice the audience is just sitting there. No one is bobbing their head or behaving as if a band is performing live music right in front if them.

23 hours ago, Troy said:

I like the song in the video, but the rest of the album ... meh. It is mostly covers done better by others.

I always liked that song by the Impressions. The video was weird though, did the yiu notice the audience is just sitting there. No one is bobbing their head or behaving as if a band is performing live music right in front if them.

From what I can gather, there's only three covers. Hey Jude ,Little Green Apples and one other. But for the perfect 'summary' of this period of the Temps, the compilation Psychedelic Soul is brilliant. A double album and full of fantastic music.

Haha, the audience don't seem to be doing their thing. I mean ,this is the Impressions. LIVE.

Yes I listened the the album all the way through, after reading your post, I had never listened to the this entire album. I was surprised by the number of covers which I'm sure there more than three.  If I have a few extra minutes I'd take another listen and point out the others.

Turns out the only temps albums I have are complications and they quite  good 🙂

The other striking thing about the album is that I expect and album, from that era, a good one anyway, to tell a story.  All the songs may not be hits, but the songs are related to each other and relate a larger message than any of the individual songs.

I don't think (or know really) if this is still true because I rarely listen to an entire new album.  

@Troy Actually,now I think about it,I'd say Psychedelic Shack AND The Sky's the Limit are slightly better albums.

Concept albums spring to mind. Not all the songs on certain albums are linked by the same story though. You could say What's Going On is a concept. 

Sgt Pepper was mistakenly thought of as a concept. Not all the songs are linked and there are different 'stories ' . 

From around 1967 the album began to grow up so to speak. 

Yes What's Going On is a great album in my book for just that reason. I would have thought Sgt Pepper's song were related. I had both albums (original printings) for many years but moving and a divorce tend to make things "disappear."

4 hours ago, Troy said:

Yes What's Going On is a great album in my book for just that reason. I would have thought Sgt Pepper's song were related. I had both albums (original printings) for many years but moving and a divorce tend to make things "disappear."

The only two songs ' linked ' on Pepper is the title track and With a Little Help from my Friends.

The only things disappearing in a divorce should be the wife, ha ha.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...