Harriet. Tubman ,Demon. Slayer!

Harriet. Tubman- Demon. Slayer-.  White. Slave. Owners. Cannot.  Stop-Powerful.  Ninja. Harriet. Tubman,So.  White. Slave. Owners. Enlist ,Wrrewolves,Witches,Vampires. And. Demons   To  Stop  Harriet-Tubman.  Book   By. David  Crownson.  There  Is  A  Movie  In  Theatres ,Now  About  Harriet  Tubman... ..

First, its good to see the AALBC forums back up and running. Second, Harriet is an ADOS legend. It's sad that Hollywood cast a coon to play her in that movie. Granted I don't watch many movies at all these days. But I definitely won't support that. I don't care that the actress is not American. Many black folks are apparently angry about that. The actress has a history of making Fox News-type comments about black people in America. Who cares that she's an immigrant. Denzel Washington played Steve Biko and did a fabulous job. Denzel is not from South Africa obviously. But that woman playing Harriet Tubman is nauseating on so many levels. She'll say anything to please white people.

Welcome back @Kareem can you share a video or and article in which Erivo expresses "coon" views?

Also why hold her ancestor's mistakes against her. 

Besides wouldn't you agree we give way too much weight to the socio political ideas expressed by entertainers? In other words, why do we even care what Everio thinks she is just an entertainer. Has she studied politics. Is she a politician? Is she a genius? Why would she know anymore than a truck driver, a janitor or any average person -- again why should we care?

I don't think it will be effective or productive to post links to Erivo's coonery. You may not like the sources and think they are biased, etc. It will devolve into discussion about those sources versus the matter at hand, despite it being Erivo's own words. But here's a good Twitter thread. Further, Erivo has since bleached her Twitter history to erase the "akata" references and her ancestors being Igbos - slave traders in 1500s Nigerians. It's my personal position on Erivo.

I agree celebrities get unwarranted respect. But again, "You may not like the sources and think they are biased, etc." That is why I think this discussion is fruitless. Bottom line re: that Harriet movie is that they created a black villain out of thin air ("Bigger" something) and created a white hero out of thin air for the narrative and story line. Erivo willingly played this part in an obvious blaxploitation film. I have no respect for her, just like I have no respect for Tyler Perry and other blaxploitation performers who many black folks love. But hey, they have more $$ than I do, so I have no standing to say anything.

I don't think the conversation is "fruitless."  I had not idea anyone felt this way about Erivo.  I still plan to see the film, but I'll be keeping my eye on her 😉

Frankly, @Kareem I'm more interested in what you have to say about Black people than what a Tyler Perry might have say (unless the subject is black people cross dressing and cooning).