PRESS RELEASE: Mum’s diverse children's book about self esteem inspired by her daughter will help underprivileged children 

Book title: Philly & Friends: Who Do I See in the Mirror?

ISBN:978-1999349806

Author: Vese Aghoghovbia Aladewolu
Please consider for review

Mum’s diverse children's book about self esteem inspired by her daughter will help underprivileged children 

A mum’s children’s book about self love and self esteem featuring diverse characters inspired by her two year old daughter, will help underprivileged children in Africa who can’t read or write.

The book, Who Do I See in the Mirror?,  chronicles the adventures of Philly, a black girl with curly hair as she explores her body and realises what makes her special.

Vese Aghoghovbia Aladewolu, 31, wrote the book and launched Philly & Friends when her daughter whose nickname is Philly, was 12 months old, as she couldn’t find many black characters in children’s books that Philly could relate to.

Now the author is giving away a book to promote literacy in Africa for every copy sold. 

Her book which is sold on www.phillyandfriends.com, Amazon, Waterstones and other retailers has a very important message for Black and Minority Ethnic children - ‘love the skin you’re in. It’s what you are on the inside that matters most’.

Vese says: "Representation matters a lot. I was struggling to find characters who looked like Philly in books and I wanted my daughter to grow up reading books that featured people who looked like her.

“That’s how the idea came to create a book with diverse children’s character she - and kids everywhere - can love and identify with. One who is strong, confident and happy, goes on adventures, as curious as George, laughs from within and loves wholeheartedly with tight hugs and lots of kisses."

Through a unique partnership with Books2Africa, her book is supporting literacy and education in the poor parts of Nigeria, where some children cannot read or write after finishing school due to lack of books.  

Vese explains, “Not too long ago, I met a 32 year old lady who was unable to read and write despite having gone to school. My parents helped her to read and write by sponsoring her literacy lessons.  This is a huge problem because education is a vital tool for alleviating poverty. Those who can read and write stand a better chance of winning the fight against poverty. With books, they can imagine beyond their immediate surrounding and dream big into action.”

Who do I see in the Mirror? (£9.99) is available to buy online from Philly & Friends, www.phillyandfriends.com, Waterstones, waterstones.co.uk, Amazon amazon.co.uk and other independent bookshops and retailers.

For further information visit www.phillyandfriends.com 

Notes to editors

Vese Aghoghovbia Aladewolu is available for interview. Contact hello@phillyandfriends.com 

Who Do I see in the Mirror? is the debut book of the Philly & Friends collection of stories.   

Philly and Friends is a contemporary children's brand with purpose by Vese Aghoghovbia Aladewolu. It offers unique products that encourage confidence, self-love and diversity in children while supporting underprivileged kids around the world.