OPEN LETTER TO PROMOTERS HELPING WRITERS

Wendy Jones

Hello, Promoter

Before I begin, I want you to know that, for me, the language of “marketing”—even the word itself--is too close to the language of enslavement: branding,  selling yourself, which I see as different from selling your book. Wherever these terms would appear, I will replace them. For this letter, I will only deal with nonfiction books.

Yes, as a writer I will at some point need help selling my books. But I do think that if you, the promoter, understood me, the writer, better you would be more successful at promoting my books.

Here is what I heard most often:

“Figure out who is going to buy the book before you finish writing it.” 

Sure, there are some books that are rather concrete and straightforward: “The 10 Best

Places for Fly Fishing in North America,” "Starting your Business on the Kitchen Table,”

“Scientific Hair Care for Women of Color.”

All of these books could conceivably have a promotion plan before the writer even set fingers to keyboard. For instance, fly fishing clubs and places both online and offline where fly fishers gather, people in unemployment support groups, and women of color who frequent beauty salons and read magazines, blogs , and websites, with information about hair care for women of color. All of these are obvious places to start. Note, I am not saying that creativity and imagination would not be essential for how to go about finding these readers.

What all these books have in common, as different as they are, is it is pretty clear what these books are about from the beginning. By that I mean they are giving straightforward information about concrete topics.

However, there are other types of nonfiction books. I will use my experience as an example. An Extraordinary Life: Josephine E. Jones began as a simple oral history. It was modeled on All God’s Dangers: The Life of Nate Shaw by Theodore Rosengarten.

Even though my mother raised me alone after my father left the marriage when I was six months old, was burdened by family members who borrowed money they never repaid, and worked on three jobs to ensure I had a superb education--the combination of her savings, my scholarships, summer employment, and work-study jobs resulted in a debt-free education for me through graduate school—until that spring day in 1993, I had never seen her depressed.  

This South Carolina sharecropper’s daughter, born in 1920, who arrived in New York in 1946 to work as a cook in private homes, became perhaps the first black woman in management at a Fortune 500 company, Standard Brands, now Kraft Foods.

Her statement: “I don’t feel my life has come to anything” spurred me to write the book. Although I was honing down my mother’s story, focusing it while retaining her voice, something was missing. But I didn’t know what it was.

Only after my mother casually mentioned that black people did not get Social Security—which began in 1935-- until 1951, did the book take a turn into a slightly different direction. This was several years into the writing.

While reading history books that spanned my mother’s lifetime, I found this quote, which I included in the book, in Blanch Wiesen Cook’s Eleanor Roosevelt: Volume 2, The Defining Years, 1933-1938:

Social Security was virtually segregated racially, and women were discriminated against. Agricultural and domestic workers…’casual labor’ or transient, part-time, seasonal, and service workers (such as laundry and restaurant workers)…and local, state, and federal government employees, including teachers, were excluded from the only ‘entitlements,’ old-age and unemployment insurance. As a result, 80 percent of black women were excluded; 60 percent of black men were excluded, and 60 percent of white women were excluded. Only half the workforce was included” (281-82).

After that I read works on the Great Migration, the Red Summer of 1919, the role of black women in the suffrage movement, and the histories of the companies she worked for, among other books. Now the writing crackled.

This simple oral history had now become a book that examined the history of African American women through the lens of my mother’s life. How could I possibly have started promoting the book earlier in the writing? The book had not yet become itself.

The writer and the book are engaged in an intimate dance. Promotion requires leaving this dance to look at the book through the world’s eyes. If this is done too early, it is dangerous for the creation of the book.

Once the rhythm of the dance had been established, I felt comfortable enough to temporarily leave it.  Now I could see the book on library shelves, in the homes of the many people interested in women’s history, African American history, culinary art (there are stunning color pictures of my mother’s food creations in the book), and in college and high school classes featuring female voices, mother and daughter stories, and the Great Migration.

Now in its second printing, and already in several libraries across the country, the book was accepted by the New York Public Library’s SchomburgCenter for Research in Black Culture in 2019.

Books are not bricks. Some of them grow organically and become very different as they grow. We can not possibly figure out who is going to buy the book before we even know for sure what the book is.

I hope this helps us work together better when we start promoting my next book.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:08 PM, Wendy Jones said:

“Figure out who is going to buy the book before you finish writing it.” 

To be clear, are you saying that one does not need to define an audience for their book? I ask because on this forum, just the other day I wrote:

"If your goal is to make money with your book, marketing should begin before the book is written.  The author should consider who the audience for the book is, how large the audience is, how will they reach the audience, and how much it will cost. Independently published authors rarely do this.  After some analysis you may determine not to write the book.

Indie authors produce the book then struggle with figuring out how to sell it."

I do know this is common advice and the reason I share it is because I believe it to be sound advice. 

Of course I understand that some indie authors -- most perhaps -- have a book in them that they must to get out and issues of marketing are of little concern.  In fact, issues of how to properly produce a book and sell it are of little concern as well ... until it is too late.

I'm including a link to your book here on AALBC:

9781946348029[1].jpg
An Extraordinary Life: Josephine E. Jones
by Wendy Jones

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, Troy said:

Of course I understand that some indie authors -- most perhaps -- have a book in them that they must to get out and issues or marketing are of little consequence

@Troy this is so true! Sadly, those authors could probably sell well if marketing wasn’t an afterthought.  

In fact, there’s an article I think you posted here about “black book marketing matters” even in  big 5 publishing. Unfortunately those authors - (writing while black) even when they’ve received the guidance of who they are writing to and for, the marketing and publicity departments still don’t know what to do with them. 

The reason is they don’t have black marketers. In fact, I was the only one at both Penguin and Putnam back in the day.

Probably none or one today. 

On 12/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, Troy said:

"If your goal is to make money with your book, marketing should begin before the book is written.

This is solid advice - period.  

There’s no getting around it.

It would be malpractice for any promoter to consult or advise otherwise. 

Edited by Mel Hopkins
Changed content from “same” to “none or one”

This simple oral history had now become a book that examined the history of African American women through the lens of my mother’s life.

Although I was honing down my mother’s story, focusing it while retaining her voice, something was missing. But I didn’t know what it was.

did the book take a turn into a slightly different direction

@Wendy Jones  the three quotes I pulled actually illustrate what Troy and what most marketing professionals advise.  Know your why, who and how. 

Marketing (promotion) doesn’t dictate WHAT an author should write just that they should have a group in mind when they do.  

You intuitively crafted a market and  wrote  your story for them. Your narrative indicates what you wrote, why it’s important and to whom it would matter. 

The through-line looks a bit like this: 

Oral History - African American Women - during early part of 20th century - with a hot button issue that is still relevant today - social security - and how one black woman over came an inequitable system meant to assist all americans - with a twist of mystery (because who knew  it didn’t?!?!). 

If I were the script reader and wrote the

coverage it would pass because its “marketable” .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

The reason is they don’t have black marketers. In fact, I was the only one at both Penguin and Putnam back in the day.

Marketers in publishing houses tend to use social media for online promotion.  This is easy, but it is not the best way to reach Black readers -- shoot it isn't even the best way to reach me and I can't promote book I don't know about.  I can't tell you how many people discover a book, I thought was popular, for the first time on AALBC.com or through my newsletter.

4 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Oral History - African American Women - during early part of 20th century - with a hot button issue that is still relevant today - social security - and how one black woman over came an inequitable system meant to assist all americans - with a twist of mystery

Brilliant.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...