Have you met someone smarter than yourself?

On 1/23/2020 at 2:38 PM, Delano said:

How did you determine they were smarter than you, and how did you feel?

Have you met someone smarter than youself?

Oh yes! Just about everyday!

How did you determine they were smarter than you,

Well, I guess I would have to think about one example, and my answer would be that, I just listened to what was said from the person and 

realized that they brought something new to my psyche; they added a dimension to my life.

and how did you feel?

Rich. It made (makes) me feel rich and acknowledged; that someone would take the time out to share their life with me, if

only for a moment. I love positive human interaction, even if it is just a brief exchange while walking about during

my day, going to the market, or greeting someone at the check out counter. It's so rewarding for me.

21 minutes ago, Chevdove said:

It made (makes) me feel rich

That right there is the beauty of life and interacting with others.

We all have difference intelligences, knowledge, and experiences. I believe everone is smarter than someone else in some aspect in life.

That is what makes the forums so interesting to me. 

For example the conversation on Vodun @Azacotogan, @Kareem, @Pioneer1, @Delano and the others are having is one I can only read for it is way over my head -- they are all far more knowledgeable than I -- but I'm learning.

• Like 1

One time I was doing Tarot readings in Washington Square Park. At some point I was talking about the challenge a term in Numerology. This homeless guy says the Challenge is the infinity of your spirit. Then walks off, my brain was fried. Dude drops this knowledge and leaves. My brain just was quiet like the prairie. Which was unusual for me for decades to come. 

• 4 weeks later...

I met a guy on the job today who was much smarter than me. We were talking about stocks and money management. I think he went to school for finance and clearly knew the ins and outs.

It made me feel inspired to learn more really. Also, I plan on using him as a consultant once my business really gets going.

I meet people smarter than me all the time. I plan on being "Nick Fury" and bringing them all together within my businesses lol.

No I don't think every Phd is smarter than me. Since I tutored a two Phd candidates. 

I don't necessarily feel that degrees confer or infer intelligence. 

Not certain which one of your sentences was a question. Also not certain why you believe I am trying to divine intent or motivation. 

Generally I like to fully understand the question before I answer. At times I don't even think about questions that are unclear. 

Del you asked the following statement:

On 2/29/2020 at 3:50 AM, Delano said:

So knowing more doesn't make some smarter.?

The short answer is yes and, based upon your answer to my question, you agree.

I measure intelligence by how quickly one assimmilates new information, but more importantly how they apply what they know to create something novel or generate new ideas.

So does knowing more makes someone more intelligent? 

I suppose I can think of situations where knowing less and being more intelligent are inclusive.

Although I don't generally think of ignorance as being a contribution towards intelligence.

7 hours ago, Delano said:

So does knowing more makes someone more intelligent? 

Again, no.

Del, we are all ignorant in some area. I know more about web development than you do, but that does not mean I'm more intelligent than you.

• 2 weeks later...

I measure intelligence by how quickly one assimmilates new information, but more importantly how they apply what they know to create something novel or generate new ideas.

I would think how well one applied what they knew would be beyond the realm of intelligence and in the realm of WISDOM.
But now that the discussion has become a matter of "Smarts vs Intelligence" it has prompted my interests.

In my opinion:

Smart = knowledgable
A smart person is simply a person who knows a lot (or a lot about a particular subject)
Smarts is a result of access to and retainment of knowledge.

Intelligence= strong comprehension and memory
How quickly can a person pick up on patterns, understand concepts, and retain what they've learned?
Intelligence is primarily a function of the brain and isn't necessarily tied to knowedge itself....although knowledge is the most common DISPLAY of intelligence.

And since you mentioned "applying" what you know......
Wisdom= the PROPER application of what one knows which involves a host of other skills and factors beyond mere access to information and a good grasp of a particular concept.

Having layed out MY definitions of these words-

A person can be intelligent without necessarily being smart, especially if they haven't been exposed to a lot of knowledge. They have the POTENTIAL to be very smart but not the tools.

However, I don't think a person can be very smart without having a measure of high intelligence. Having good comprehension and a decent memory is essential in properly retaining the information one has been exposed to.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

I think as far as the purpose of @Delano's   question smart and intelligent are interchangeable.

No smart can be limited to a particular area. He is a smart player is different than he is am intelligent player. Smarts I feel has a more narrow scope than intelligent. 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 9:17 PM, Delano said:

No smart can be limited to a particular area. He is a smart player is different than he is am intelligent player. Smarts I feel has a more narrow scope than intelligent. 

I too believe that smarts has a more narrow scope than intelligence, but I think when you call someone "smart" it's usually in a broader contexts than just one field or subject.

There are plenty of people who are very knowledgable when it comes to things like football, the best type of weed to smoke, or even survival out in the wilderness. But that limited knowledge doesn't necessarily translate into them being "smart" as individuals.
They are just the average (or in some cases below average) person who has a lot of knowledge about a subject for whatever reasons.

In my opinion, a "smart" person usually have a broader and more general range of knowledge with a higher than average degree of intelligence to go with it.