National Museum of African American Music

I would check it out, but I would not travel there for the sole purpose of visiting that one museum. Sure it matters where it is located, that will determine how much it is visited, how much it was costs to maintain, etc.

I visited the Stax museum in Memphis but i also visted the Lauraine Motel, hung out on Beale street, stayed at the Peabody, and ate plenty of ribs (i even visted Graceland while i was there). But I would never have gone there just to visit Stax.

Thanks for the info @Maurice. I was unaware of the museum and have joined their mailing list. How did you kearn about it?

• Like 1

The Stax Museum was alright. It was interesting to see the location, sort of like the Motown museum a much smaller house than you might imagine. 

Memphis probably would have been a better location -- they have a large Black population, but i guess the folks in Nashville were the ones who pulled it off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:22 AM, Maurice said:

While we're at it, this video was very recently uploaded by Reel Black on You Tube. Otis Redding.

@Maurice WOW!

That was CRAZY GOOD!

Thank you for posting.

All of this was before my time, I was too young to know all about these times, yet, I've always wondered.

It was only a few years ago that I even heard about STAX even though I remember many of the artist and loved the music.

I was shocked to learn, here, that Aretha Franklin was associated with this company! Man! And yes, that she was born in Memphis!?

I did not realize how Otis Redding tied into all of this history just before Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated.

I think I'll be playing his hit today, all day!

I am not sure whether it's Nashville or Memphis, but I was also surprised, years back, when I learned that Tina Turner was actually born in

Tennesee! 

I learned a lot in this documentary!  

• Like 1

On 6 March 2020 at 4:32 PM, Chevdove said:

@Maurice WOW!

That was CRAZY GOOD!

Thank you for posting.

All of this was before my time, I was too young to know all about these times, yet, I've always wondered.

It was only a few years ago that I even heard about STAX even though I remember many of the artist and loved the music.

I was shocked to learn, here, that Aretha Franklin was associated with this company! Man! And yes, that she was born in Memphis!?

I did not realize how Otis Redding tied into all of this history just before Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated.

I think I'll be playing his hit today, all day!

I am not sure whether it's Nashville or Memphis, but I was also surprised, years back, when I learned that Tina Turner was actually born in

Tennesee! 

I learned a lot in this documentary!  

We are all still learning 😀 I love this era of music ( roughly 1963 to 73, give or take). So many superb sounds and I'm still discovering. A great adventure.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:15 AM, Troy said:

you were probably to young to remember tbe concert Wattstax.

@Troy Yes, I don't remember anything about this as I grew up, however, about two years ago, I heard of it.

I saw a small portion of it, but this time, I was able to watch the whole video and it was so great!

I did learn something new today!

I thought it was called the Watts festival and now I see that it is WattStax and I now know what Stax means as well.

Richard Pryor was so funny!

The Black National Anthem sung by Kim Weston?--Never heard of her before, but she is so talented.

There's so much history and so much about this film that electrifies me.

Also, there is a hard truth too, that I see in that we are still faced with some of the same negative issues today that occurred then.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, Maurice said:

ere's a very interesting doc on Robert Johnson. There's also a newer one on Netflix.

@Maurice I watched the whole video and it was so great!

I never knew!

Wow! HIs music was introduced at the Carnegie Hall!

There is so much history during those times, that I never knew about.

Also, in this film, they mentioned Eric Clapton!

I definitely loved the sound of the Blues; it is so unique. 

Yes, I also love the music of Curtis Mayfield but again, I don't know much about him as I was 

young when he was popular, so I look forward to listening to this video soon.

• Like 1

@Chevdove. For some reason I totally forgot about Clapton. A great guitarist and a massive fan of the blues. He was in 4 very good bands in the 60s . Especially Cream and John Mayalls Bluesbreakers. His final band of the decade was very short lived and only made the one album but I think it was meant to be that way.

Personally I prefer the sound of Chicago blues. Absolutely electric and raw. Little Walter and Howlin Wolf are my favs.

im sure you will enjoy the Curtis documentary. There's a fantastic dvd available on him and the Impressions music and around 2 hours of quality 😀

image.jpeg

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:25 AM, Maurice said:

Due to open in Nashville this summer. Will anyone make the trip? Is Nashville the right location as at least to me it's the home of country music ? Does it really matter where it is? 

https://nmaam.org/

Why have I just noticed this thread?

Personally, I think it should be in Detroit....given the legacy of Motown Records.

Nashville is the spot for Country music, but not for the historic R&B, Gospel, Hip Hop, and other forms of AfroAmerican music.

Infact, instead of the generic title of "African American Music" they should divide the locations up by genre and maybe have a Gangsta Rap Museum in Compton,  Hip Hop Museum in The Bronx or Harlem,  R&B in Detroit,  Funk in some other city, ect...

You never heard of Stax? The Staple Singers, Isaac Hayes, the Queen of Soul... Memphis woul be a great place

Do Black people still live in Compton? Ladtbtime I was there it was mostly Mexicans. 

Harlem had a hip-hop museum it lasted about 5 seconds. A couple few seconds less than the Black bookstore.

Problem with it being in Detroit is ... well ... it is Detroit. 😞

Troy

You never heard of Stax? The Staple Singers, Isaac Hayes, the Queen of Soul... Memphis woul be a great place

The Staple Singers were out of Chicago.
Isaac Hayes is from Tennessee but not Memphis.
And....come on man....you KNOW where The Queen Of Soul is from, lol.

Except for Stax, none of the above mentioned are actually FROM Memphis although they may have roots in Tennessee. There is no real reasons this museum should be there.

Do Black people still live in Compton? Ladtbtime I was there it was mostly Mexicans

I saw the same thing when I went through there over a decade ago.
The same can be said of most of South Central Los Angeles today. For years it was the central Black community on the West Coast (with Oakland a close second) and today it's mostly Hispanic with only a scattered sprinkle of Black faces here and there.

Interesting thing is when I lived in Arizona I ran into a lot of AfroAmericans who were FROM Los Angeles but felt they had to move away.

Harlem had a hip-hop museum it lasted about 5 seconds. A couple few seconds less than the Black bookstore.

Do you happen to know exactly why they closed down?

Problem with it being in Detroit is ... well ... it is Detroit

Come on bro, that's not nice.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Come on bro, that's not nice.

Lol! OK sorry.

The hip-hop museum never really got off the ground. In the early days of Harlem's revitalization a lot of businesses got tax breaks and money. Much of it was sqandered... I dunno all the details (or really what happened), but the physical space is a Buffalo Wild Wings.

I saw there is a hip-hop museum in the Bronx, arguably the best location for it.

Dude Arthea Franklin (in case you don't know who the queen of soul is) was born in Memphis. she lived diwn the street from the Stax Museum, home of the best funk studio band ever assembled.

Troy

The hip-hop museum never really got off the ground. In the early days of Harlem's revitalization a lot of businesses got tax breaks and money. Much of it was sqandered... I dunno all the details (or really what happened), but the physical space is a Buffalo Wild Wings.

I saw there is a hip-hop museum in the Bronx, arguably the best location for it.

Maybe some of these old-heads and Hip Hop pioneers like KRS One, Rakim, Doug E. Fresh and Public Enemy should start an endowment and donate money to build, maintain, and expand this Hip Hop Museum like Caucasians do for their beloved alma maters while it still exists.

Dude Arthea Franklin (in case you don't know who the queen of soul is)

(Pioneer sits there with his head to the side staring at Troy)

Man, just when I forgave you over the "anywhere but Detroit" remark....lol....now this.

What's next Troy?
Lol, are you going to ask me do I know who RUN DMC is, if their name comes up in the conversation?

was born in Memphis. she lived diwn the street from the Stax Museum, home of the best funk studio band ever assembled.

She may have been born in Memphis but she was raised in Motown.
That's the city she claimed, lived the rest of her life in, and ultimately laid her burden down in.

You know how it is, most of our people have southern roots....but they make their way North and try to forget about them. Only recently (past 20 years or so) do you find so many AfroAmericans running back down South to make it their home again.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Pioneer sits there with his head to the side staring at Troy

Lol! Okay, okay.

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

AfroAmericans running back down South to make it their home again.

We are in the midst of the great reverse migration. It is why places like Detroit are losing population and places like Charlotte and ATL are bursting at the scenes.

5 hours ago, Maurice said:

but also had a number of specials like this one.

Oh I was thinking a program that brocast shows like that regularly must have been incredible, but I see this was a "special."

The YouTube channel showing programs show a lot of movies and TV shows outting their logo on the videos. I can believe they hold the copyright.