Is EBONY MAGAZINE History?

It appears Ebony Magazine is no more.  Sadly, there's a 404 notice when you go to EBONY dot com. If you travel to any of its posted links you're get a warning. It also appears EBONY social media presence is also dwindling down. 

In January, Tyler Perry announced he was going to be on the cover of March 2020 EBONY -so if you can get your hands on that issue - it will truly be a keepsake.

I wrote two stories for EBONY magazine featured in the  September 2018 Fashion Issue.  Yes, I got paid. It breaks my heart that this may be the end of the iconic magazine that started back in 1945. 

The last time I contacted the Clear View Group, LLC , owners of EBONY MEDIA OPERATION, about their alleged lack of payment to Johnson Publishing and I didn't get a response.    So, draw your own conclusion. As for me, I think it's a wrap. 

2020 is shaping up to be an interesting year.

Edited by Mel Hopkins
Added link to Clear View Group
  • Thanks 1

"Interesting" is one way of putting it. I used to think our generstion was truly fortunate.

No one under 60 was ever forced go to war and die. We never suffered overt, government sanctioned racism, we never knew starvation (shoot most us are obese) or pestilence. We have freedom of press and can pretty much do what we want with liitle restriction relative to every generation that proceeded us.

Today I'm afraid all of that is in jeopardy.

I too lament the lost of Ebony, but it did not happen overnight. Perhaps covid19 accelerated the inevitable. Given all I'm dealings with in the context of this pandemic it is hard to muster empathy. Perhaps once the pandemic is over I can properly mourn Ebony's loss.

Jet's site is down too. I just removed them both from my list of The Top 50 Black-Owned Websites.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2020 at 7:48 PM, Troy said:

Jet's site is down too. I just removed them both from my list of The Top 50 Black-Owned Websites.

EBONY Website is back up. According to a few articles including The Root and Chicago Crusader - the Clear View Group owners they didn't mean to leave it offline for more than two days. Not sure what that means and neither article  elaborated. 

As a webmaster the I can't emphasize the damaged caused by that particular type of error.  The crazy this is that a 404 Error is a trival problem to correct -- it is inexcusable

It led me to remove prominent link on my site to there on one of the sites most prominent pages, just search for "top black owned websites."

I'm glad they are both back up. But the top news stories on Jet's site are years old, the "news" on Ebony's site look like ads for celebrity products, and both site are celebrity and entertainment driven.