Why You Can’t Escape Fox News (or Trump’s Tweets)

As much as I actively try to avoid 45’s innate tweets, I can’t — unless I eschew media altogether. This video helps explains how Fox News helped destroy jounalism.

I've always argued social media (i.e. 45’s tweets, Covid19 conspiracies, antivacers, etc) has put the assault against journalism on steroids.  Many who reject the adverse impact of social media, in general, and Fox News in particular say, "It does not change the way I think." That may be true, but for too many others is does.

Fox smeared Hillary Clinton over Pizzagate and the use of an unsecured email server, and Trump was tweeting objectively outrageous ideas.  Mainstream "journalists" dutifully covered all of it.  Marginalising Clinton while raising Trump’s profile, legitimizing him as a candidate, and thrusting into the White House. 

Black people, more than anyone else, need journalists to cover issues that concern us. Twitter can not be our source of information. 

Platforms like Ebony/Jet did not die overnight. We lost them slowly over decades. the information the provided changed over the years. Articles like "The Negro in Literature Today" simply are not written in publications today (if anyone knows of one please share it). Even Ebony stopped writing articles like this choosing to focus more on celebrity and downplaying more substantive subjects.

It is obvious true journalism simply can't function under our form of capitalism.  The government will not use our tax dollars to do it, for the government is beholden to those who don't want us to have access to true journalism.

Subscribe to a Black owned newspaper.
Support Black owned media and journalism.

fox-news.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, Troy said:

Twitter can not be our source of information

@Troy it can be and is,  just like every other media outlet. I get a lot of leads from twitter but my cry is when the news is about black people it is never broken down into information that is relevant TO the black community.  I'm so SICK of mainstream media talking  ABOUT us but never to us. 

If those concerned about news that effect the black community and also want to be spoon-fed the issues - you are correct. Curated news for the black community is  long gone.

Look at your website.  You've been in existence for more than 20 years and I'm sure you've seen the interest in black community news dwindle.  We seem to be more interested in theories. Bite-size news bytes that we can retain and repeat.   We don't even seem interested in keeping our local black newspapers in business.  I look at my own website and my top search hit from all the search engines is news about blitter, the social media platform that was focused on black twitter. It never got as popular as twitter. I'm not even sure it still exist.  Black people  seem to like to support or be seen in white-owned spaces. 

I'm not sure if the 24-hour black news channel is giving black people news they can use.  As of right now, I can't even get it on Comcast and they aren't set up for live streaming.

10 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Black people  seem to like to support or be seen in white-owned spaces. 

Yes, because that is where the money is, but it is a self fulling prophesy. That is where the money is because the is where we go.

The reason Twitter can't be our news source is because profit drives how the information one sees is curated, not how important it is to know. How else would you explain way social media provides completely different information to different people?

You wrote:

10 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

We seem to be more interested in theories. Bite-size news bytes that we can retain and repeat.

Sure, and Twitter was optimized to do just that.

Keep in mind most people are not professionally trained journalists like you with ability to tease out fact from fiction, to understand the biases of different sources.

Most are content to watch their feeds scroll by without giving it very much thought. It is easy. People are too  stressed out and tired.

Did you know Black people just love Joe Biden? Everthing I read or heard says that this is true. Funny, I don't know any Black people who love him as much as the media says.

• 3 weeks later...

... and that is exactly what is happening.

There was an interesting issues on On The Media which spoke to the impact of the of local journalism.  It describes how politicians are just doing crazy things because no one is watching them. 

The old business model no longer supports local news reporting.  All the advertising dollars that used to go to local newspapers is going to Facebook and Google, obviously those two companies are not covering what goes on in city hall.  It is a very serious problem and...

...people are getting run over.

When Fox is viewed as an organ of the republican party, MSNBC is viewed as the mouthpiece of the democratic party, and local journalism is all but dead, I hold little hope that the government will do anything about FOX "News."  People could stop watching it, but that seems unlikely too...  I think we have a better chance of launching a boycott of Amazon than a boycott of Fox News.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, Troy said:

.people are getting run over.

Welp. it's hard to save folks from "stupid."
But I think I see from your perspective.  Weren't you on the BTHS swim team too?  If yes, that explains your position.  For the rest of us, we are occasional swimmers and we know better than to try to save a drowning person.  They'll take us under too.  

7 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

Welp. it's hard to save folks from "stupid."

It's easier to control non thinkers.

James Baldwin had the largest government file.

He was public about his fears and vices. So he could neither be controlled nor blackmailed.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 12:53 PM, TSegal said:

Corruption never wins

Never?  I'd say corruption usually it wins.  Do I really need to run down a list of evil and corrupt people and business who have won?

On 5/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, Delano said:

It's easier to control non thinkers.

Of course, but stressed out, impoverished, poorly educated, people don't have the luxury time, energy and mental capacity to contemplate bias in news.  They are trying survive and find enough cheap diversions to get through life...  Short of a complete reboot this problem is almost unsolvable.

If someone is not excited about Joe Biden, unwilling to vote for IQ 45, and decides not to risk their lives by standing in line to cast a paper ballot for someone they believe will not make a difference in their lives -- I get it. I don't agree but it is really hard for me to beat someone up over it.

@Delano I hope I lose out next bet, but since they can harpon any democratic candidate by trotting out somebody with a sexual abuse allegation from decades ago things really don't look so good.  The fact that the media has focused so much attention on this (to drive revenue) is just part of a intractable problem we have in this country.

@Troy I think Trump will get re-elected. The GOP is rigging the game.  I didn't think Trump would get booted because what he was doing was wrong. I thought he would get booted, because the Money guys are afraid that he'll take their money. I thought they were smarter than that but I don't think they so anymore. Like I said in 2015, we are witnessing large geopolitcal swings. The next thing is whether the Bond Market wants US debt. And whether Oil and or commodities will be traded in a currency other than USD. If either of those two things happens. The US will be labelled as a bad credit risk. It will have moved from being a superpower to a mismanaged third world country. The US is lucky to have Elon Musk he is a global game changer. Even though the sells a fifth as many cars as GM and Ford their market cap is more than both companies combined.

If the dollar is dropped from being the world's Reserve Currency @Delano it is a wrap for the U.S. 

Amazon had a humongous market cap before they made a penny in profit. Wall Street knew Amazon was an emerging monopoly. I was too naive to understand this and old my share years ago. I was focused on profits.

Elon must have something similar brewing. When SpaceX goes public buy ... though all the insiders will be the ones to make the real money.

Elon Musk is  cashed up from selling paypal. He has a few companies that are cutting edge  . https://www.boringcompany.com/

4 hours ago, Troy said:

Amazon had a humongous market cap before they made a penny in profit. Wall Street knew Amazon was an emerging monopoly. I was too naive to understand this and old my share years ago. I was focused on profits.

Don't forget the Tech Bubble , you do have to make a profit 

2 hours ago, Delano said:

...you do have to make a profit 

Again, that is what I thought. Snap Chat has still has not made any money, and they have been around almost a decade. They should have taken the buy out from Facebook. Now Facebook does not need it. Big enough to prevent new entrants small enough to be of no consequence....

Basically Wall Street will prop up a company allowing it to stay in business. Analysts write rave reviews institutions and individuals buy shares allowing, say Amazon, to selll books at a loss, until the public is convinced they are great and their competitors are decimated.

Your local bookseller still has to make payroll and pay rent each month. The can rely on GoFundMe for survival.