No Reason to Buy (or sell) Books on Amazon Anymore

Troy

The has been a lot of noise about Bookshop lately.  Bookshop's affiliate model is superior to that of Amazon, in that their affiliate revenue share is 10% versus Amazon's 4%.

However the comparison is not as simple as that, for Amazon also pays affiliates for everything customizers buy during that tranascation (unti the cookie dies 24 hours). So if they also buy a lawn mower affiliates earn commissions on that sale as well.  It was not unusual for AALBC to earn more on commissions on the sale of other items books. 

The problem with Amazon is that they abuse other business and use them only as long as they need them. Amazon will use their website to identify popular product then manufacture those products under their own brand and bury the the competition in the search.

I no longer do business with Amazon not just because commissions on book sales suck, but because they have undermined Black books by providing a platform for bootlegging our books, monopolizing ebook sales, ripping authors off by encouraging them to sell exclusively through Amazon and making their books unattractive to any other books sellers to sell, etc, etc.

Bookshop is touting themselves as a solution to booksellers,  While 10% is better than nothing it pales in comparison to what can be earned by booksellers, or even authors who sell books directly.  When I buy book from a distributor my discount is 45% from the published it is 50% to 65%. 10% is a relative pittance.

However Bookshop and I have a common enemy, so I reached out, via email, to them to learn more:

Hi Bookshop,

How do independent web based booksellers, like AALBC, benefit from your support of independent booksellers?

AALBC is a 22 years old web based bookseller with our own database, using Bigcommerce to process transactions, and Ingram, mostly, to drop ship.  Obviously 10% commissions do not help us, but we have a common goal of preventing Amazon creating a true monopoly in the sale and production of books.

I notice the AALBC is not listed as a bookseller on your site.  I also noticed that a popular brick and mortar store in New York City, Sisters Uptown Bookstore, as well as a bunch of others, are also missing.  How do these stored get listed on your website?

Peace,

Troy Johnson

Founder AALBC.com

Honestly I don't expect much love from Bookshop. Indeed they will probably just be another competitor.

I'll let you know what response i get, if any.

• Like 1

Here is the reply from Bookshop. I defintely did expect a resonse on Easter Sunday.  Has the expectation for business communication become 24/7 since I been in corporate America?

Thank you for your email. In order for a bookstore to be listed on our site, they must have a brick and mortar store and be a member of the ABA. If they met those requirements, then they would need to reach out to my colleague in order to start their account with us. Let me know if you have any more questions!

...I guess just another competitor.

ABA provides bookstore software to members. I guess this software is being phased out. I'm an ABA member (not sure when my membership expires), anywho ABA currently runs a site https://www.indiebound.org/ in which readers can find a book then select the closest indie bookstore (including AALBC) to buy the book.  Bookstores earn their full commission. I hope, for the sake of member stores, that ABA does not abandon that program.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:24 PM, Troy said:

However the comparison is not as simple as that, for Amazon also pays affiliates for everything customizers buy during that tranascation (unti the cookie dies 24 hours). So if they also buy a lawn mower affiliates earn commissions on that sale as well.

Forget what I wrote about how Amazon pays affiliates for sales on other products a referred customer might order.  Amazon has just dramatically drop affiliate commission 50 to 80% on other products!?  Amazon gave affiliates one week's notice and did this during a global pandemic!

Amazon really is a shitty company.  I was going to give away my Amazon fire stick now I'm just going to dump it in the trash.