The Afro Latino Struggle

I came across this video a couple days ago and I was so focused on the sheer BEAUTY of this young lady, it took about 5 minutes to listen to what she had to say about her struggles as a dark skinned AfroLatina not just in the United States but even in the Hispanic entertainment industry.

Poor  brutha Charlamagne........
Judging by many of the ignorant comments he was making.....lol....rather than being enlightened, I think this interview just added to his confusion.

Troy, having come from New York and now living in Florida I'm sure you've met THOUSANDS of Black Hispanics. Judging not just by the interview this beautiful young lady just gave but just based on the dozens of conversations I've had with different AfroLatinos over the years......they seem to be VERY frustrated at their STILL lack of representation in the media and other segments of society.

I'm sure continental African outreach has crossed your mind, but have you ever thought about building a forum specifically for Afro-Latino literature or pursuing Afro-Latino authors for interviews?

There doesn't seem to be a huge platform for them anywhere.

Pioneer AALBC reps Black People no matter where the come from. Most recently, I had an intern profile some Afro-Latinx (did I just make that word up) writers who are prominent in their respective communities or countries but not well known widely

Of course there are many others here. 

I could not listen to the interview. After Charlamne told the Amara she should have offered to suck that guys d-ck I just moved on. It was frustrating to hear them expound on  ignorance. I'm positive they know better but they were playing dumb to appeal to the masses.

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

There doesn't seem to be a huge platform for them anywhere.

There aren't huge platforms owned for Black people in any country run by Europeans.

Troy

Lol.....
I'm sure you KNOW you didn't just make up the word "Latinx".
It's what's called a gender neutral term that can be used for both males and females.

Not sure if you know this already but Español is heavily genderized with most words categorized as "male" or "female". Even some words having NOTHING to do with sex or gender are still genderized as either male or female.
The word "Latino" is one of them.
If you're talking about a Hispanic male you would say Latino....using an "o" at the end.
But if you're talking about a Hispanic female you would say Latina...using an "a" at the end.
But the interesting thing about Español is if you're talking about BOTH males and females then you would use the term "Latino" because the male gender has historically been considered the standard and most important.
So I guess this generation came up with the term "Latinx" with an "x" at the end so that neither gender is prioritized.

I personally think it's a move in the right direction.
I'm not into men turning into women or women turning into men but I believe BOTH should be treated fairly with equal justice.
Anyway.......

If you have nothing better to do you should listen to the interview because as "stereotypical" as she may seem with her exaggerated behavior and afro, she certainly dropped quite a few jewels in the conversation.

Some people said that Charlamagne was probably just trolling her or there may have even been some sexual friction between the two going on that we don't know about.....lol...but his ignorance should be ignored.

@Pioneer1 I'm meant the word "Afro-Latinx." I just never saw it written. I took enough Spanish to know what you are talking about. I prefer Latino and Latina over Latinx, which now requires you to write or say more words communicate gender, it is less efficient. 

The real pressure for the change came from those who reject the binary gender designations.  However making words less clear is not a good solution.

Troy

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You said you prefer Latina/Latino over Latinx but Latinx is only ONE word while Latino/Latina is two....lol.

Yes, I know much of the pressure for this came from the LBTGQIA (and add more letters if you like...lol) activists; however just because it came from a group I generally don't agree with doesn't necessarily mean all of their ideas are bad.
For example I'm not not a Conservative, I consider myself Liberal....but I believe in LESS government and regulation.

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Conservative, I consider myself Liberal....but I believe in LESS government and regulation.

People in this camp consider themselves social liberals and fiscal conservatives.

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Yes, I know much of the pressure for this came from the LBTGQIA (and add more letters if you like...lol) activists; however just because it came from a group I generally don't agree with

This seems to imply you are socially conservative as well.  

Seriously, most of the views you express here are pretty conservative Pioneer. Have you ever considered that? 

Troy

This seems to imply you are socially conservative as well
Seriously, most of the views you express here are pretty conservative Pioneer. Have you ever considered that?

What about my previous statement or most of my other other statements around here for that matter sounds conservative to you?

When I was a kid a Liberal was a person who supported the rights of AfroAmericans, women, and workers. Now if I fit that bill but criticize the LGBTQIA+ community does that take me out of the category of being "liberal"?

• 2 weeks later...

Troy

Well, just for the record a person can be critical of someone AND supportive of them at the same time.
Just because you may be critical of your children, doesn't mean you don't support them and will protect them.

But no, I DON'T support the LGBTQIA? Agenda.
Supporting their agenda goes BEYOND the definition of Liberalism.
However I DO support individuals having the LIBERTY to express their sexuality as long as it's not being forced on anyone else.

You still didn't answer my question about what the definition of a Liberal is to YOU.

I suspect your definition may line up with what many Caucasians today call "progressive" (which isn't really progressive at all) because it's the definition being given major attention in the media today.