Facebook to the Rescue

Black Voice News won a $100,000 Facebook grant that is geared to supporting newsrooms during COVID-19 pandemic.  According to Facebook's grant page, the "Facebook Journalism Project’s relief fund for local news" is granting  an additional $100 million to support journalism during the pandemic.  This is in addition to the $300 million grant initiative to support journalism around the world. So far, 200 news organizations have received funding from the local news fund.   

According to the Black Voice News Community News article , Dr. Paulette Brown-Hinds, publisher said "The grant will allow our team to build on our current reporting on the economic impact of COVID-19 on our community as well as help build our growing interest in data journalism and digital mapping.”   

If you also write for a newspaper you can learn more about the Facebook Journalism Project by visiting https://www.facebook.com/journalismproject .

• Like 1

It is a good thing I clicked the link @Mel Hopkins I initially thought you were referencing Black Voices the site that AOL took over and the Huff Post ultimately killed (if memory serves).  I do track Black Voice News here on AALBC.

Sure get the money while the getting is good.  But I can't ignore the fact that journalism is increasingly dependent upon the largess of the very entities that help destroy it. 

Facebook's platforms are almost single handedly responsible for propagating the 5G WIFI, Black people are immune, created in a lab, and God know what other Covid conspiracy theories.  How many lives were lost as a result? Will a 100 million dollar cut of their profits -- which be will reduce their tax liability -- makeup for the havoc they caused?  I do not think so.

Sure take their money, but lets be clear, it is blood money.

• Haha 1

@Mel Hopkins, I don't dispute the fact; I just don't like it. 

The CDC says cigarette smoke kills more and 400K a year in the United States.  The largest of these murderers, Phillip Morris, donates millions around the world for disaster relief, education, whatever...   Jeff Bezos saved the Washington Post newspaper from failure, and indications are that he has not abused his ownership. But the arrow is in his quiver whenever he needs it.  Michael Bloomberg tells Bloomberg News not to cover him -- even during the presidential bid that he financed out of his own pocket.  No, I don't like any of this. But I know it is the American way.

Google of all business SHOULD pay for news.  They copy content from news site post the results on the SERP, hijacking traffic from the news sites.  Google's monopoly (with Facebook) has forced news sites to buy advertising from Google making matters even worse!  Google is, in a large part, responsible for the demise of newspapers and journalism along with it. They should have been broken up long ago -- their donations is window dressing designed to fool people that they provide some societal good, meanwhile they have laid waste to numerous websites and their print publications.

Some call this progress, but the death of local journalism is the exact opposite of progress.