The Guardian: "Economic Duress is Nothing New..."

The Guardian newspaper (US) covers the plight of Marcus Books during the Coronavirus Pandemic  in the article "Economic duress is nothing new': Can America's oldest black bookstore survive the pandemic?" by Andre' Wheeler dated Fri 15 May 2020 

Wheeler references AALBC's black bookstores research in the article. 

"According to the African-American Literature Book Club, there were over 200 black-owned bookstores in the 90s. In 2019, the number was slightly over 120. "

(Author's note: I also donate money to The Guardian )

Yeah I like the Guardian too.

To clarify: There were almost certainly never 200 Black-owned books opened concurrently in America.  The number open today is still closer to 50 than 100.  I indicated this, in error, in the past.  The Guardian did not reach out to me for comment.  If they did I would have told them.

(Hey @Mel Hopkins in Journalism's heyday would this have fallen into the purview of fact checking to confirm the quote attributed to me? Or it okay to just say that, "AALBC said, blah-blah-bal?" Is it OK to leave it up to the reader to determine if I actually said that, or if it is even factually accurate?)

My list, includes stores that are not all Black owned and stores that have closed.  Stores are MUCH more likely to email when they open or not on the list,, and never email when they close. 

Here is a link to Marcus Books funder rasier: https://www.gofundme.com/f/marcus-books-anniversary-fundraiser

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Troy said:

in Journalism's heyday would this have fallen into the purview of fact checking to confirm the quote attributed to me?

@Troy us old-school Journalists believe in attribution.  My copyeditor at EBONY was real old-school (she was writer/editor for Playboy back in the day) - and she checked every line of my 3800+words in those last two articles. If we couldn’t verify we took it out.  All this to say, your information would have made it into the article - but unless the article was about aalbc - we wouldn’t have contacted you. We would have attributed to the article and publication we got the information.

But thinking back on how she hazed me with those two articles. Never mind, Rema probably would have made me contact you! 😳😄

• Haha 1