OH WOW!--A 6000-plus Naked Eye Comet in the Sky This Month!

Guest Chevdove

Guest Chevdove

OH WOW!--A 6000-plus Naked Eye Comet in the Sky This Month!

I thought I saw something in the skies as I was gazing at the Lunar Eclipse and the Grand Conjunction in the wee hours of the morning this month on July 5, 2020! So, I just read in the news today that a third recent comet called THE NEOWISE COMET can be seen this month with the naked eye! The other two recent comets did not make it into our viewpoint and although the Neowise comet was slated to have the same fate, however, it has defied expectations! It was first seen on March 27, 2020 apparently, but not until observers spotted this comet did the news break! This Neowise comet has been reported to have a 6000+ year old cycle, so will not come close to our planet for another 6000+ year cycle!

CometNEOWISEcloseToNakedEyeScaleByJeremy

This image – taken on the morning of July 5, 2020, by Jeremy Perez at Sunset Crater in Arizona – shows comet

C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) on the same scale that you might see it with the eye alone. Try to use binoculars to reveal all the

beauty of this comet. Used with permission. Thank you, Jeremy!

CometNEOWISEbyJeremyPerez-e1593981734856

Another July 5 shot of comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) by Jeremy Perez in Arizona. This one is more of a close-up. “It was an

easy naked-eye object,” wrote this experienced sky observer, who was looking in a desert sky, “but really rewarding through

binoculars.” Used with permission. Thanks again, Jeremy!

106581531_10110060008309602_287750425860

Here is another shot of #CometNeowise...this time a bit closer! Look at that

beautiful tail! 

Taken in Arizona this morning!

Now, reports say that you do need binoculars or a telescope to see the tail of the comet. Also, some reports say that the comet has been rated to be as bright as some of the brightest stars in the sky:

How to see Comet NEOWISE

Posted by Eddie Irizarry in SPACE/ July 10, 2020

… Comet NEOWISE was closest to the sun on July 3, 2020, passing at about 26.7 million miles (43 million km) from the sun, or a bit closer than the average distance from the sun to Mercury. Observers are still reporting seeing it, and so it appears to have survived the close encounter with our star.

https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise#:~:text=Comet NEOWISE will be closest,million km) from our planet.&text=Around July 12-15%2C Comet,close to the Northwest horizon.

__________________________________________________________________________________ 

Wow! That is much closer than some of the planets! And, what to amazing for me would be that the cycle of a comet seems so mysterious. Unlike the planets of our solar system, comets seem to have another 'zero point' from which their cycle in this universe would be based upon. So, would this be considered a GREAT COMET!? The last Great Comet seen was in 1997, so this Neocomet would be pretty big news! And historically, there was another awe-inspiring comet that was reported to have been seen even in the daytime for months  in 1812!-- THE GREAT COMET OF 1811. Historians say that this great comet plus the great earthquake, etc. led to the War of 1812 [i.e. the Second War of Independence].  And, this month offers some great new wonders in the sky. We still can look forward to the GRAND CONJUNCTION reported to occur later this month as well. The Grand Conjunction has been defined as the conjunction of the planets Jupiter and Saturn, a rare phenomena. But for now, we can look up and see this comet in the sky with the planet Venus nearby the star Aldebaran:

If you are standing facing east, you will see Venus, which is the third-brightest object in the sky (after the moon and sun). Look to the left of Venus to see the bright star Capella. The comet will be below Capella during the mornings of the first half of July, but moving to the left (north) each day ...

https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise#:~:text=Comet NEOWISE will be closest,million km) from our planet.&text=Around July 12-15%2C Comet,close to the Northwest horizon.