Oscars So White...

The Academy Establishes Representation and Inclusion Standards for Oscars Eligibility

I must admit, this is a move that the industry should have examined long before 2020; regardless, my optimism regarding the inclusion of Black writers, producers, directors, etc. is palpable. 

Does this feel like Hollywood's stab at affirmative action to you? I've included the film eligibility standards per the Academy; source docs are located on the official website, Oscars.org

1827958211_O.W.ShoweOscars.thumb.jpg.b14575b475fa837c9414a2122f55033d.jpg

1990990669_O.W.ShoweOscarsII.thumb.jpg.9bdc81ac61a15ce301d66d30f4c95021.jpg

I'm diggin this new soothing interface! @Troy

O.W.

I must admit, this is a move that the industry should have examined long before 2020; regardless, my optimism regarding the inclusion of Black writers, producers, directors, etc. is palpable. 

Why should we be happy that Caucasians are "thinking about" us?

Is it that we think those who control the Oscars are so superior and better, that their approval and recognition of our talent is paramount?

Let's get something established.....

Contrary to popular belief, the Oscars isn't for "everybody".
It was established by and for Caucasians to celebrate Caucasian talent.
...and other's are begging for and fighting for inclusion into it THINKING they have a right to when they actually don't.

If they NEVER included a Black writer or actor or director it wouldn't be wrong....because they don't have a duty or obligation to do so.

The ONLY time Caucasians decided include more AfroAmericans into a particular event or institution is out of FEAR!

Not fear of protest or criticism.
They LOVE it when Negroes beg them for inclusion!
But fear that WE will stop begging!
And instead of begging them and fighting to be included.....decide to FORM OUR OWN institutions (in this case award events) show the world that what WE do will be much more impressive and the Oscars and Grammys ever was....and they KNOW it.
So rather than see that happen, they'll pretend to be more inclusive in order to keep our people "on the plantation" so to speak.

Our people should stop begging Caucasians for more seats at THEIR table and instead build our own table and enjoy a nice hefty plate of SOUL FOOD amongst ourselves.

A Brief History of the Origin of Soul Food

....and watch THEM come sniffing around and start asking for a plate!

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Why should we be happy that Caucasians are "thinking about" us?

Is it that we think those who control the Oscars are so superior and better, that their approval and recognition of our talent is paramount?

This statement overlooks my initial expression of optimism, versus happiness - " my optimism regarding the inclusion of Black writers, producers, directors, etc. is palpable."

I am optimistic that the Black producers, directors and writers who DO subscribe to the notion that awards (Grammy, Oscars, etc.) are markers of success will use this REACTIVE strategy as a catalyst. 

The fact is obvious that Black culture is the nucleus for creativity in America; it's appropriated, borrowed, stolen and bartered. However, if society is demanding change and an organization actually responds in a manner that is conducive, THAT move is one that inspires optimism that we, as a society, are evolving in a more productive direction. 

TBH, I would like to see more 40+ year old, Black females on-screen who look like, talk like, act like and understand the complexities of being a Black woman. When you're too old for Insecure and How To Get Away With Murder exacerbates your PTSD, there isn't much left to enjoy on streaming services. S/N: Shout out to Nia Long for her performance in The Fatal Affair. So, yes, PLEASE enact mandates for inclusivity... I am here for it, 100%. 

Per MR Dictionary:

Optimism (noun) 

1. a doctrine that this world is the best possible world

2. an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome 

Happiness (noun)

1. a state of well-being and contentment

2. a pleasurable or satisfying experience

I am rarely content, if ever, thus being "happy" is not a fair description.

Also, I have a table that I share with friends, family, peers and the like, to elevate their voices and stories... We eatin' good too! Stop by and order a plate on the house at owshowe.com. Next month, we're serving an extra helping of a story that highlights Google's fake CTRs, complete with an audio confession from a Google rep who was recorded stating that their email campaign is technically fraudulent. Also, I'm pulling our Domestic Violence series hot out the fryer this weekend. We also have a vegetarian dish, if necessary, it's called The Setup. 

bon appetit!

- Madinah

Art. Culture. Creativity.

771481846_O.W.ShowesTheSecret.thumb.png.6032b8271ad653e2d084d13051c11587.png

Homi.thumb.png.64af325daefbf119a43b1e6ed4587337.png

1160718413_BlackLove.thumb.jpg.0b4facebdc99440d09883571adf5b134.jpg

• Thanks 1

O.W.

The fact is obvious that Black culture is the nucleus for creativity in America; it's appropriated, borrowed, stolen and bartered. 

I totally agree with this statement and is the reason I "trophied" your post.

We ARE indeed the reason for America's success and the number one reason why the United States tends to be the social and entertainment capital of the planet!

But as long as our gift to humanity comes in a gift-wrapped in a Caucasian bow and ribbons like Mtv, Viacom, or the Grammy and Oscar awards....humanity will not know the true source of these talents and inspirations  or  OUR true value and contributions.

It's like having a number one television show with all White characters with all Black writers and producers.
The Black people are the REASON behind the show's success, but all the world will see is a bunch of excelling White folks!

This is why we need OUR OWN institutions.
Our own studios, award shows, acting schools, ect.....all owned and controlled by us.
So that WE can get the credit for it and have control over it.

TBH, I would like to see more 40+ year old, Black females on-screen who look like, talk like, act like and understand the complexities of being a Black woman. When you're too old for Insecure and How To Get Away With Murder exacerbates your PTSD, there isn't much left to enjoy on streaming services. S/N: Shout out to Nia Long for her performance in The Fatal Affair. 

Well, I hope you're not offended by what I'm about to say but......

As an "around 50"....lol....year old man, not only do I agree with you but I would also like to see more 40+ year old Black women NUDE and in realistic SEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS with older Black men on the screen!

Not only would it improve the self-esteem of many of our sisters as they get older but it would also help BOTH sexes relate to eachother better when they see themselves as they TRULY LOOK on television and in the movies engaging in real life situations such as having sex, arguing, or dealing with racism.

So, yes, PLEASE enact mandates for inclusivity... I am here for it, 100%. 

It SOUNDS like a good gesture but there are a number of problems that can arise from this............

1. When it comes to public or government institutions like the police force, public schools, the military, ect....we must DEMAND thorough AfroAmerican inclusivity.
But if the institution your trying to force inclusivity on is a PRIVATE institution, it would be like forcing someone to host guest on THEIR property that they don't want.

How would you like for someone to look at your website, decide there aren't enough Asians or Arabs represented on it...and then threaten to SHUT IT DOWN until you included more Arab and Asian representation?

2. Demanding the Caucasians include you in their private functions indirectly sends them the message that you think so highly of them that you are to the point of BEGGING for their acceptance.
What value is THEIR opinion and acceptance when it comes to OUR talent and entertainment?

To be honest, when it comes to us.....I don't want THEM judging what is "good art" or "good music" or "good writing" or "good directing" anyway because just like food that tastes good to THEM (like having fish with vinegar or ketchup on potato chips...lol) is usually nasty to US  -they aren't good at judging the value of anything else that we like or do.

Just how fair and accurate do you think a group Caucasians from middle-class America would be in judging half of the books featured on AALBC?

These people thought Rap music was just a bunch of "noise" until they saw how much money they could make from it.....lol

Also, I have a table that I share with friends, family and the like, to elevate their voices... We eatin' good too! Stop by and order a plate on the house at owshowe.com 

Thank you for the invitation my Sister!

• Like 1