Delayed Gratification Pays Big Time. What is Missing.

I think he may be a smart young man but there are too many gaps in his presentation.

I didn't hear any "challenge" nor did I hear any actual INSTRUCTIONS from him.
All I heard was more cliches and vague principles that anyone can tell eachother riding on the train.

First of all he's telling people how they should SAVE and INVEST their money before he tells them how to actually MAKE the money...which is the first step.

I know a lot of our people lack financial discipline and financial literacy but the BIGGEST problem most AfroAmericans have is ACQUIRING enough money to save and invest in the first place.

A lot of our people don't realize how wealthy Caucasians are.

Caucasians have access to TONS of money, so they have enough to play around with and practice with until they are able to master it.

Don't talk to AfroAmericans about investing and contracts until you teach them how to generate wealth in the first place.

@Pioneer1 I gather he is an entertainer.

If his message is to save money -- I can't argue with that.

It is only a 2 minute clip, so there was not enough time to relate the more important factors you raised, like how to make enough money to have a comfortable life style or what do you do with the money you are saving.

I didn’t think it was that obvious it would be missed. The challenge was to not use any of your money from your main gig, by generating income from other sources that you use to live on.

If I was to apply the challenge it would be selling enough books to meet my living expenses so I didn’t have to spend my Taxi/Uber income.

This shows you the amount of "disconnection" and inconsideration that exists in the AfroAmerican community today.

We KNOW that not all AfroAmericans are poor....but most are.
Most are struggling.

But instead telling people who are broke, unemployed, and struggling HOW to get together and start a business or service to GENERATE money that can be saved and invest LATER ON DOWN THE LINE AFTER BASIC NEEDS HAVE BEEN MET-
He wants to lecture people about "buying a house" and living off your interest capital gains instead of dipping into your principle.
Shit that only concerns MILLIONAIRES who earn enough interest to be able to comfortably do so anyway.

That's not a conversation to have with poor people.

There's a PANDEMIC going on.
Millions are unemployed, being evicted, having their homes foreclosed-

....and these selfish negroes are sitting up there talking like it's 1998.

• Thanks 1

I hear you @daniellegfny, but I actually agree more with @Pioneer1 last statement. 

Many people (even white ones) are struggling to meet their most basic needs. Half of the country's family income is less than 65k a year -- the entire family.  Many make much less.

As @Pioneer1 suggested the messages is clearly not designed for the masses. It is not clear to me what purpose of the entire program would be. My quess usbthat they are selling something.

2 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

If I was to apply the challenge it would be selling enough books to meet my living expenses...

It is rare for indie children's book author to make a living from their books. You will more likely need to live on your driving income and bank your book income.

If you make any profit selling books consider yourself a success. If you make enough to live on that would be fantastic.

• Thanks 1

That’s where you are wrong. It’s aspirational. 

12 minutes ago, Troy said:

It is rare for indie children's book author to make a living from their books. You will more likely need to live on your driving income and bank your book income.

If you make any profit selling books consider yourself a success. If you make enough to live on that would be fantastic.

That’s what the challenge inspires. Success is just a matter of achieving the numbers. Maybe the right mindset and goals and resources have not been available until now.

65k would be a good benchmark to achieve within the first 365 days.

Daniel

it shows a negative mindset.

It's called being REALISTIC.

Yes, our people need to learn financial discipline and how to invest and compound their money but they must first learn how to GET the money!

What he's doing is like lecturing people who haven't graduated from Elementary school yet on HIGH SCHOOL level material.

If they haven't properly completed the basics,  anything  you try to teach them will probably just go over their heads.

Besides.....
I've done a little research on this "Rotimi" dude and he's the son of a Nigerian INVESTMENT BANKER!!!

How in the HELL can someobdy like that relate to the average AfroAmerican who is unemployed or working a low wage (under $20 an hour) job?

I can see now he will miss the point in my story Mommy Be So Mean She Takes My Money.

Well, what I HAVEN'T missed is that while you'll duck and dodge the TRUTH all day long....you are good for sitting up and telling STORIES....lol.

image.jpeg.d9e8c645ceb9ad38250bc44365fa10df.jpeg

"Do you wontz to hear 
another one, lil' Andy???"

1 hour ago, daniellegfny said:

65k would be a good benchmark to achieve within the first 365 days.

$65K in profit -- even revenue would be a great success -- news worthy in my opinion 🙂  Keep us posted on your progress!

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I've done a little research on this "Rotimi" dude and he's the son of a Nigerian INVESTMENT BANKER!!!

Interesting. Still what is he selling?  Clearing the talk is not directed to the masses, living hand-to-mouth.

20 hours ago, Troy said:

nteresting. Still what is he selling?  Clearing the talk is not directed to the masses, living hand-to-mouth.

I think that our paths have diverged because while you espouse that how to get income is the first step, I advocate knowing that you don’t have to live hand to mouth is the spark. 

Also I don’t believe the mass of Black People in America are destitute. If you inform those who are able to act, their actions will support and encourage those who can’t.

Any idea what they are selling?

Again you are jumping to an extreme @daniellegfny No one wrote that "...mass of Black People in America are destitute..." So I won't try to defend another one of your strawman arguments.

The reality is that almost 1/5 of Black Americans do not exceed the incomes levels shown in the table below.  That is almost twice the national average.  I'm sure you'd agree a working age adult making less that $250 a week (before taxes) is virtually indistinguishable from being destitute.

Poverty Thresholds for 2019 by Size of Family and Number of Related Children Under 18 Years

Size of family unit  
Weighted
average
thresholds

One person (unrelated individual): 13,011
Under age 65.................................... 13,300
Aged 65 and older............................. 12,261

Two people: 16,521
Householder under age 65................ 17,196
Householder aged 65 and older........ 15,468

Three people........................................ 20,335
Four people.......................................... 26,172
Five people........................................... 31,021
Six people............................................. 35,129
Seven people........................................ 40,016
Eight people......................................... 44,461
Nine people or more............................. 52,875
Source: U.S. Census Bureau.  

Most AfroAmericans aren't destitute but most ARE POOR....relatively speaking.

I used to do a lot of community work with the homeless and abused peoples so I learned the differences.

Destitute means you can't meet 2 or more of your basic needs. 

Poverty means you can meet them, but barely.

The United States tends to provide enough assistance through government and charitable organizations to keep most people out of sheer destitution.

But POVERTY is very high and is growing at an exceedingly fast rate.
So is actual destitution, by the way.

Still, try raising a Family in NYC with an income of $65K.  Starting with nothing.

Destitute, impoverished, the definitions and their differences mean little to the millions of Black people in America living in ether condition.

Delaying gratification is not a solution for these people.  They don't have to decided to put for adding an extension to the house or putting of a cruise down the Nile.

Not sure HOW much money it would take for me to be "happy" living in NYC.  I don't really find the city very appealing for residential purposes.

Long Island....yes.....the City....no.

Long Island has a million little villages with funny ass names that have what you need and want to relax and enjoy yourself.
You can drive or catch the LIRR to get into the city to take care of any business or attend any event.......and afterwards get back to your nice quiet "funny named" hamlet.

Speaking of being happy.......

I almost  forgot what I was going to say about the original topic of delayed gratification.

One of the reasons so many AfroAmericans would rather "eat the desert first" is because so many come from such unstable environments that they don't know if they're going to LIVE long enough to see the results of their efforts.

If you grow up in a ghetto hearing gun shots every night and bullets coming in through the windows and half of your friends you grew up with are killed before 25.....why would you "wait" to have fun?

You'd want to have as much fun in this life as you can because you never know when you'll meet your demise.

2 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

$70k is the suggested income level to be happy in NYC based on a morning paper 4 years ago.

Do you believe everything you read?  The source matters.  Share a link to the article.

Take if from someone who actually raised a family in New York; you would be struggling on $70K a year (assuming they did no benefit from inherited wealth like a home). 

The fact that you would even share that comment that tells me you really don't have a clue.  @daniellegfny it is difficult to determine if I should even take your seriously given your statements.

On 10/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, daniellegfny said:

Median Black family income exceeds $65k

African American Income

Black Median Household income: $41,361*
(all races $63,179)
All Black Workers 2018 weekly earnings: $769
(all races $969)
Black Men weekly earnings: $814
(All men $1070)
Black Women weekly earnings: $735
(All women $865)

African-American-income-from-LBJ-to-Trum

https://blackdemographics.com/households/african-american-income/

Nnamdi

I've asked you before but you didn't answer, are you Yuroba or Igbo?

It pertains to this discussion.......

I personally don't believe the AVERAGE AfroAmerican worker is making nearly $800 a week.
Because that comes down to roughly $20 an hour for a 40 hour week.

I'd say less than 1 in 4 WORKING * AfroAmericans that I know have salary positions OR make atleast $20 or more an hour.
Most are working class or poor and make LESS than that on their service industry jobs.

Most CONTINENTAL Africans make more, but  most AfroAmericans don't.

And I believe much of that figure for "Black" people actually comes from combining the Continental African and Carribean African incomes with the AfroAmerican incomes....which doesn't give us a very accurate picture.

Daniel

Well hell, if you're earning THAT much then you should be able to afford yourself some health insurance not to mention a firearm for protection.....LOL.

meaning you're not counting those incarcerated, homeless, frequently unemployed, or living as criminals....and these make up a large percentage of the AfroAmerican population

Nnamdi

My name is Igbo.

Your NAME is Igbo......are you?

Delano

You have to understand the terms. They are giving household income. So a single Black Mother, is being compared with a dual income no kids White  Gay Couple.

These figures aren't founded in reality anyway, but are used for deception.

Just like the phony unemployment figures they put out in the media, when they come up with these figures they don't count ALL of the people which would include the large number of AfroAmericans who aren't earning ANY form of income (legitimately atleast), but only those who actually pay incometax.

But I also have to wonder WHERE they are getting these figures from because even if they got their figures from the IRS I doubt that the IRS keeps a record of the DEMOGRAPHICS of those submitting thier taxes.
When I get my taxes done they never ask my race or sex, only marital status.

So besided random phone calls which are notoriously inaccurate, how are they determining who makes what?

The government could buy the data from Facebook 😉

Seriously the Government has all kind of demographic information on us fron a variety of sources.

Of course the government does not really know how much money people actually make, because everyone has an incentive to hide income. Does anyone believe waiters and hair dressers report all of their tips? A good panhandler can rake into more money than an uber/lyft driver and the government has no clue how much that is.

The numbers are however indicative. Given the number of people being evicted and waiting on lines for free food. There are too many people not making a decent wage while wealthy people pay little or no taxes.

• Like 1

One of the problems in this society today is the "own your own business" and "be your own boss" mentality that has been promoted in America and especially in the AfroAmerican community for the past few decades.
It's caused a lot of problems in the work force and has eroded the morale in the workplace in general.

Most people aren't interested in actually EARNING a decent wage* by working.
They're focused on getting a business and eventually getting rich, so because of this they aren't fighting for higher wages and more good jobs with benefits like their grandfathers were in the past.  
They are ignoring the wages and job availability while focusing on trying to "do their own thing".  But one of the problems with this is the fact that most people aren't mentally fit to even be a MANAGER let alone a business owner and when they eventually flop at their venture (which usually doesn't take long) they end up having to work on some low wage job they hate ANYWAY until they can get back on their feet and make the same mistake over.

Most people need to be taught and reconcile with the fact that they are workers and will be most of their lives.
Once they realize this and reconcile with this they will desire to improve the status of workers by demanding more jobs, higher wages, and more benefits, under improved conditions.

*Atleast $35 an hour or atleast $1000 a week.

Atleast $35 an hour or atleast $1000 a week.

Is this before or after taxes?  If $52K a year is what you are earning in NYC you'd be struggling, without any additional resources of support, you'd be struggling.  Some of my middle class peers were able to pay their kids college tuition, start them out with a car, and a down payment on a home. Most of us, like myself, start out in the hole.

Owning your own business is a way to create wealth, but it is a LOT harder that getting a job with a decent wage and benefits.  I did both for years.  

Troy

That is a highly variant figure that definitely changes based upon region.

That figure is for a ONE healthy adult living in a mid-sized urban area that is NOT on one of the Coasts.

That figure isn't designed to get you rich or even get you into the upper middle class.
But to keep you STABLE and living a relatively comfortable life with all of your basic needs being met...which should be the standard.

-Now if you live in San Francisco, New York, or L.A. it will be much higher.

-If you have children, it will be much higher.

-If you have chronic health problems, the figure will be much higher.

Again, that's how much ONE person should be making atleast to take care of themselves in a mid-sized middle American city without struggling.

Troy

I think if most people could earn a wage that you described with benefits and a retirement plan, people would work -- even jobs they did not care for.

Roosevelt understood this, which is why he started the New Deal and WPA to get America out of the Great Depression.

The economy today is just as bad if not WORSE than the Great Depression era but there are 2 reasons it doesn't seem that way.

Daniel

Owning your own business is about being able to hire others; to be in charge of one’s destiny; experience lower taxes and have something to pass to your family.

Let's keep it real......

Many people have different reasons for wanting to own their own business.
Some have an idea they want to express, other's have personality issues and have a hard time working around or for other people so they can ONLY work for themselves or if they are incharge.
But the MAIN reasons people  own their own businesses is for PROFIT...to make money!
They just want to get as wealthy as they can and recognize business ownership as one of the quickest means to that end.
Passing out paychecks to hirelings and even satisfying the customer is usually only a necessary BI-PRODUCT, lol.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as you're HONEST about it.

But don't sit up here and insult my intelligence with some LIE about how you started your business to help "employ" people and give them a means to feed their families....but as soon as the profits drop you start passing out pink slips like candy.

image.jpeg.0fca0a19003f56a95de3e89bb4e427f8.jpeg

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

But don't sit up here and insult my intelligence with some LIE about how you started your business to help "employ" people and give them a means to feed their families....but as soon as the profits drop you start passing out pink slips like candy.

You make this statement because you don’t understand the cash flow quadrants expressed by Robert Kiyosaki. Leverage is essential to wealth building, it’s where you are able to utilize the talents of others to increase your income. You conception of business ownership makes it just a job. 

The person who has a barbershop or grocery most likely won’t get rich with just one store. Wealth requires the participation of many people.

4 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

You make this statement because you don’t understand the cash flow quadrants expressed by Robert Kiyosaki. Leverage is essential to wealth building, it’s where you are able to utilize the talents of others to increase your income. You conception of business ownership makes it just a job. 

The person who has a barbershop or grocery most likely won’t get rich with just one store. Wealth requires the participation of many people.

Wealth ALSO requires the cooperation of and alliance with the political and legal system.

One of the biggest mistakes AfroAmericans make in owning their own businesses is not knowing WHO to "help" or pay in order to get protection.  Especially from racist attacks by jealous Caucasians who target their businesses.

When I was a kid, in Detroit the Black barbers and grocery store owners didn't have to pay off or bride any government officials.  Their biggest concern was the local gangsters who may have tried to extort them for running numbers, break-ins, ect...and even then they almost NEVER lost their lives over it and didn't have to worry about their businesses being shut down.

Around the mid-80s Caucasians from outside the city started exerting more power and targetting successful Black businesses and shutting them down for any small reason.
Where as MOST of the businesses in the 1970s were Black...by the mid 1980s less than 25% were....and it has declined further from that.

But those Black businesses who REMAINED open had friends Downtown and in Lansing who they often  bribed and paid off or promised votes to. 
The Black judges and police officials in the city knew where they could go to get "free" haircuts and shaves or get their dry-cleaning done for "free".

Now, many people would call this corruption.
I don't.

It's clearly one hand washing the other.

You help me and I help you!

You protect me from these racist bastids who are trying to shut my Black business down and I give you what you want!

But many AfroAmericans have become so dumbed-down and brainwashed and TRICKED by White Supremacy that THEY will play by the rules even if it ends in failure while the Caucasians break every rule in the book to stay afloat.

Why should Black business owners follow a bunch of dumbass rules that were designed to harm them?

Does President #45 follow the rules?
Paying only $750 in taxes!!!

You're SUPPOSED to have as many police officers, judges, lawyers, and politicians on YOUR SIDE as you possibly can!!!!!!!
Give them gifts!
Offer them free services!!
Do whatever you can to keep them on your side!!!!

All these charts and graphs about supply and demand and much of what you've been taught in business schools don't mean shit.

The fact is......

YOU DON'T KNOW where Caucasians are getting their money to run their businesses!

They have many types and streams of income that are legal and ILLEGAL that they look out for eachother with and keep themselvs up with.

If you look at some of these White businesses you NEVER see anyone going in or out of them yet they've been open for decades.
They don't have any customers.
You barely see people walking in or out of the door.....yet they STAY in business and the lights stay on.
Where are they getting the money to stay in business?

Stop being gullible and believing everything these Caucasians tell you in those self-help "get rich quick" books you like to quote from.
They aren't going to tell you the TRUE source of wealth.

They'll have you running around in circles practicing meaningless rituals and burning foul smelling candles thinking THAT'S the way to accumulate wealth when really it's a handful of Caucasians lounging around in some back room somewhere with their legs crossed smoking cigars and picking and choosing who they'll GIVE a million to this year and a billion to next year.

.....while YOU'RE silly enough to think these people became successful from "hard work".

Mafia: Definitive Edition' review: A gangster's gaming paradise - The Hindu

"Ya know....I like this Pioneer1 guy.
I find him entertaining.
Although he doesn't celebrate it....
I think I'll send him a couple million dollars for Christmas"

"Ahhh fa-gedd-about-it
The guy exposes too many of our secrets!!!"

"Oh come on Sal, I'm not worried about that!
Ha haaa....they think he's nuts anyway.
They're not listening to that guy!
Hey, it's as good as DONE.
We''ll send him a couple million in cash with a
'thank you for exposing us' note and he'll think it's a joke!"

.....while YOU'RE silly enough to think these people became successful from "hard work"

This is why ultimately you aren’t worth answering or responding to. You are both broke and a political slave who hasn’t accomplished anything to follow or promote.

Get off your computer and do something worthy of emulation. At least I can show from personal experience how a person can go from Welfare to over a 6 figure income.

4 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

This is why ultimately you aren’t worth answering or responding to. You are both broke and a political slave who hasn’t accomplished anything to follow or promote.

Get off your computer and do something worthy of emulation. At least I can show from personal experience how a person can go from Welfare to over a 6 figure income.

Be honest with me and yourself....lol.
You don't feel I'm worthy of  responding to because I'm an AfroAmerican and not a White man like you respect.
If I were White you'd wear out your keyboard typing up pages of bullshit trying to impress me with your LACK of knowledge about business, history, or anything else you THINK you know.

I may be poor financially speaking but I'm FAR from broke.
Infact, I've never been broke in my entire life.
You only know me from the internet...infact this site only.....but if you think I have no accomplishments under my belt with more on the way, then run with that belief.

The REAL question is.........
Seeing as how your father was a political mover-n-shaker, how in the world did YOU end up on welfare in the first place.

You don't feel I'm worthy of  responding to because I'm an AfroAmerican and not a White man like you respect.
If I were White you'd wear out your keyboard typing up pages of bullshit trying to impress me with your LACK of knowledge about business, history, or anything else you THINK you know.

This is what you call delusional. Why would I choose to translate my book into African and Asian languages before European languages if I was so color struck. You are completely blind to seeing beyond your narratives. 

You really come off like a plant. Not an authentic black person. You are way over the top.

Daniel

It really would be an honorable thing if....as a man....you could show LESS emotional volatility and focus your responses on the SUBJECTS of this thread instead of launching personal attacks on someone you've never met in real life.

.....just a thought.

I'll repeat what I said earlier......

One of the reasons many AfroAmericans don't practice "delayed gratification" is because they are born and raised in environments where they don't know if they're going to even LIVE from one day to the next......let alone 10 or 20 years later.

So from their perspective, it would make more sense to enjoy the present while you can instead of planning for a future you may not be around to experience.

I'll repeat what I said earlier......

One of the reasons many AfroAmericans don't practice "delayed gratification" is because they are born and raised in environments where they don't know if they're going to even LIVE from one day to the next......let alone 10 or 20 years later.

So from their perspective, it would make more sense to enjoy the present while you can instead of planning for a future you may not be around to experience.

Not just AfroAmericans but MOST Americans of all races have been mentally manipulated into abandoning a demand for good blue-collar jobs that pay  high wages and benefits in pursuit of get-rich-quick schemes,  careers in entertainment (sports, music, gaming, etc...), or going to college in hopes of getting a corporate job.

The so-called "American dream" wasn't built off of white-collar jobs or entertainment careers but from blue-collar jobs like factory work, mining, lumbering, and civil service.   Jobs that DID NOT require education beyond basic literacy but paid the workers enough that they could buy a home, a car, and take care of their spouses and children with ONE JOB.

Now you have a generation of Americans who don't want to wake up and go to a factory or farm and work for $25 a hour and healthcare.
They'd rather go to school for 10 years (off and on) pursuing a degree only to end up $57,000 in debt, addicted to meth, and working at Starbucks.

File:Starbucks barista.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

"Well....I went to school for journalism
but currently in my free time 
I'm a gaming programmer and free-lance
photographer.  My fiance who also works
here with me majored in political 
science  and is pursuing a career in
archeological excavation methodology.
So.....big stuff"