iSankore

That's the title for a documentary on the Black Books Ecosystem (BBE.) The concept is get a bookmobile, fill it with books and drive around the country interviewing authors, publishers, distributors, readers and bookstore owners about the Black books ecosystem.

We would document the history, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to the BBE.

It could be a webseries funded by the participants themselves.

The title iSankore is a reference to the University of Sankore at Timbuktu. The route followed by the Bookmobile would be a modern day version of the African Ink Road which ran from north of Timbuktu to south of Kaduna in present day Nigeria. Using the "i" connects to the internet, but also references individual, inform, instruct and inspire. All of which are related to the BBE. It uses the internet to connect individuals to instructive information that inspires.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Troy said:

How would this be funded?  

I was thinking about crowdfunding. Grants as well. Foundations that encourage literacy could be tapped.  There might also be some money from the Department of Education too. Maybe even money from the SBA, since most of the bookstores are small businesses. Add in angles so different funders could be tapped. The National Endowment for the Humanities could be a source as well.

Guess I might as well get started on a treatment.