If you really want something to worry about...

This is not a troubling development to me. China and the U.S. have been engaged in a subtle war now for years. Their navies are just not firing explosive shells or torpedoes at each other.

Chinese fighter jets regularly buzz our aircraft. The Asian giant's naval vessels often attempt to interdict the movement of other nations’ ships.

The United States must protect our tech companies’ intellectual property as well as the nation’s diplomatic and military secrets. If anyone is unmasked as a foreign spy, then employ the applicable laws. 

It’s not just that China’s economy grew at 500% in two decades until the beginning of this new millennium, it’s that China is wielding this nation’s obsession with buying cheap stuff to ignore trade laws, human rights and common sense. Walmart wouldn't be in business if it couldn't import  70% to 80% of its products from China. Depending upon whom you get your figures from, some financial analysts claim this number could be as low as 30%. 

Well, this is what turning the other cheek by a succession of U.S. Presidents has wrought. It’s not entirely their fault though. Also blame hand wringing trade negotiators, apologists for China which suffered domination by the big bad western powers and corporate titans eager to buy another vacation home - knowing full well China will find the workers needed to make those cheap laptops.

China’s navy has evolved quickly  from what was an undermanned coast defense force into what is it is now: Capable of projecting power throughout the Asia Pacific region. So its leaders will not be in a hurry to listen to pleas to follow international law.

I doubt the U.S. and China really want an all out war.

But what about those U.S. citizens in China?  Will they actually be detained if the U.S. put these China foreign intelligence agents on trial? What do you think?

10 hours ago, Stefan said:

I doubt the U.S. and China really want an all out war.

I doubt it too, but thus may be me projecting my thoughts.  Both American and Chinese leaders may be up for an armed conflict. 

I take China at their word regarding the detention of U.S. citizens. 

Troy,

I am glad you did project your thoughts. If Black U.S. citizens disappear in China, there should be a hue and cry raised. 

But it will quite different for Black Africans in China. I did not realize just how many Africans live in China. About 400,000 in Guangzhou alone. But they face increasing hatred, racism and discrimination.

In April 2020, authorities in the southern city of China’s Guangdong province, began to forcibly test Africans for the Coronavirus, and ordered them to self-isolate or to quarantine in designated hotels,.according to Human Rights Watch.

Landlords then evicted African residents, forcing many to sleep on the street. Hotels, shops, and restaurants refused African customers. Other foreign groups have generally not been subjected to similar treatment. (Human Rights Watch website)  

I doubt Black Africans can be saved during any U.S.-Sino War.

But I agree with you that China's announced threat against U.S. citizens is serious.