Counter Acting The Negative Stereotypes of Africa

The Chinese are WAY ahead of American Black in term of business development in Africa. Their infrastructure projects alone would blow away anything we could come up with in the short term. 

I have challenges doing business here in the states; bringing in an international component would be more more than I can handle. I suspect the same would be true for other small businesses. 

I do promote many businesses based in Africa, websites, bookstores, events, etc, but handling business transactions is not easy.

It is not just a matter of getting the word out there needs to be mechanisms in place to help people understand how to make it work.

Here's another good brother I know who actually does shows on AfroAmerican ex-pats who've moved to various parts of Africa and shares their experiences: 

This is his page:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOhiR-6Y-MZtMERKRENrcRw/featured

....pretty interesting collection of experiences.

I've heard good things about Ghana and Rwanda.
But NOT so good things about Gambia, especially with the infrastructure or lack of it.

Troy

The opportunities in the land are boundless no doubt but we have to have a solid plan for sustenance just incase things don't according to our calculations.

Plus the cultures there tend to be so different not just our own but FROM EACHOTHER.
As soon as you get accustomed to greeting and doing business one way with one group, you have to learn an entirely different method dealing with another group in the very same country.

Before doing ANY business in The Gambia you might want to check out some of the critiques from THIS sister who is already living there:

-------------- Art Cathey's Experiences Living In The Gambia -----------------------------

She's a bit on the emotional side so I'm not sure how much of these experiences were brought on HERSELF, but she's not the only one who's made these claims.

I listened to a few minutes, of the hour long video, but anyone expecting to find a their favorite major American city The Gambia will be disappointed and should probably stay in America.

Besides I was talking about  two week stay which includes a week long festival attended by Black people from across the diaspora.

For those willing to step out of their, accept some inconveniences, and take a risk, the possibilities in Africa are boundless.

I think we as AfroAmericans should:

1. Those with the financial ability should do more RISK TAKING investing in various African economies not EXPECTING any major returns until things are improved to satisfactory levels.

2. Those with little to lose in the United States should consider migrating to various African nations PERMANENTLY in order to "pollenate" certain places...not for colonization like the British or Chinese.....but to establish a more fertile environment for AfroAmericans who DO want to relocate or just enjoy dual citizenship to feel comfortable doing so in.

I'm not wealthy, don't own my own home, and don't have children in school.....I don't have a whole lot to lose in the United States.
The only concern about Africa is it's standard of healthcare, and the global Pandemic seems to be making sub-Saharan Africa MORE ATTRACTIVE by the month when we look at the figures coming out of Western nations.

It's about about using our creativity and not succumbing to limitation and narrow-minded thinking.

Who says the standard Caucasian way is the ONLY way to do things?

On 10/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, daniellegfny said:

It’s the type of material we need to continue to promote. We shouldn’t let the Chinese beat us out. My big question is how do we get the word out to our local community? 

Black investors, individuals and groups cannot offer many African leaders what they really want: Water and sewage systems, modern roads, power plants, mining equipment and modern railroads. This is why China is in Africa.  This does not mean we should not try. 

I love Troy's ideas. We won't get anywhere if we do not read and do not promote our own history, stories and lives. 

But China's investment and interest in Africa is certainly not benign, depending upon what news source you prefer. Beijing's leaders definitely want control of Africa's vast mineral wealth and Nigeria's oil resources.

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

Black investors, individuals and groups cannot offer many African leaders what they really want: Water and sewage systems, modern roads, power plants, mining equipment and modern railroads. This is why China is in Africa.  This does not mean we should not try.

Why not start a community at a time? The Israelis have been doing some pretty advanced work with water reclamation. We can start by doing project here in Mississippi, practice in Haiti 🇭🇹 and implement in Ghana 🇬🇭 or Gambia. 

Working with Akoobooks can lay a foundation for our thought leaders to shift their focus. We have rich blacks who are already working there. It’s continuing to make more local level connections that make it a reality for the masses.

Daniellegfny, I agree.

The Israelis have been trying to widen the Jordan River and they want to find a solution for all the sinkholes opening up in Ein Gedi near the Dead Sea. Saw a documentary on it.

Just imagine if our Black Communities received Israel's outlay of $20 billion a year in materiel, cash, grants and deferred payments. Military and aid for Israeli and its security forces likely pushes that figure much higher. 

Yes, Israel is good at water reclamation and desert irrigation. So is Dubai and the UAE. 

43 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Just imagine if our Black Communities received Israel's outlay of $20 billion a year in materiel, cash, grants and deferred payments.

...Imagine!  I had not even thought of it that way.

What justification does American have to giving the nation Israel that much assistance while allowing the Black community to be left out in the cold, like some red-headed step child?

Just imagine if our Black Communities received Israel's outlay of $20 billion a year in materiel, cash, grants and deferred payments. 

I've often thought of how unfair this is myself.
However I must ask, are there any AfroAmerican communities currently who are QUALIFIED to handle getting that much money and support?

We can have a 40 year discussion as to whether or not the U.S. should be giving Israel anything.  But the fact that they seem to put their foreign aid to good use helping to fortify and build up their nation.

Many of these African regimes get foreign aid and it goes directly to the pockets of the dictators, their mistresses, and foreign bank accounts while the masses of their people remain in dire poverty.
From what I've heard and seen (in the media) Israel doesn't do IT'S OWN citizens like that.
They may mistreat the Palestinians....but they treat their own Jewish citizens well.

We must be QUALIFIED to receive that kind of money.  Which means we must be properly organized and have a practical knowledge of economics, sociology, and urban planning so that if we ARE granted so large of an amount we can use it effectively.

2 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

Billions of federal dollars support the Black Community.

And we pay billion more in taxes?  So what is your point?

But again you missed my point.  Suppose the money given to Israel (or any other foreign nation) was given to Black people, in the form of direct payments for reparations.  No "new" money would need to be extracted.

While I don't believe for a split second that he US of A will ever financially compensate Black people for the horrors leveled against our people over the centuries, the reason is not a lack of financial resources.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:17 PM, Troy said:

Reparations is not charity. It is a debt that is owned. 

A tax break is charity.  The President you so revere is the "charity master," I'm sure it is the reason you like him so much. 

A tax break is you keeping what is yours. There’s no debt which is owed. To think so prevents full attention from being focused on what we can achieve.

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2020 at 4:17 PM, Troy said:

Reparations is not charity. It is a debt that is owned. 

A tax break is charity.  The President you so revere is the "charity master," I'm sure it is the reason you like him so much. 

Reparations for descendants of Black Slaves would NOT be a gift. 

The outlay would be for unpaid labor and there are legal precedents for this. 

If descendants of Black Slaves in the United States were to ever put in a claim for past and continued pain and suffering, the amount due would include the future tax revenue of the country for the next 20 years.