New novel, Something in Madness: "a timely tale for these troubled times."

Guest Ed Protzel, Author

Guest Ed Protzel, Author

My new historical novel, Something in Madness, takes readers to 1865 Mississippi, when newly freed Blacks struggled to begin their lives in a South still run by unregenerate Confederates. The novel was just released by TouchPoint Press and is available from [link to amazon removed], Barnes & Noble and other outlets.

Terry Baker Mulligan, author of Sugar Hill and Afterlife in Harlem, called Something in Madness: “...ultimately a tale of hope and determination against seemingly insurmountable odds. It is also a timely tale for these troubled times in our divided nation.”

In the story: Abolitionist Durksen Hurst and two black friends return home to a devastated Mississippi, the sole survivors of a Union colored cavalry regiment. But instead of peace, they find unregenerate Confederates who reject emancipation still in charge. Undeterred, Durk opens a law practice to help disenfranchised freedmen — only to be threatened by powerful planters and nightriders. A black school is burned; a petition march to Jackson is terrorized. And when one of his friends goes missing, Durk is horrified to discover Black Codes being used to force freedmen into brutal servitude. Clever Durk schemes to liberate them, but must contend with armed ruffians — and a rigged court system. Will fire and bullets prevail?

I utilized actual events and attitudes, allowing readers to submerge themselves in the era. And the cast of characters — Black, white, mixed-race, Native American, male and female — lets readers develop empathy from various perspectives.

Learn more about Something in Madness at www.edprotzel.com. Reviews welcome and appreciated :) I'd be glad to provide a guest blog and/or interview.