Kanye compares himself to poet, Maya Angelou

Troy

Kanye compares himself to poet, Maya Angelou.

Kanye West is stepping back into the limelight — and bringing his ego, too.

The "Heartless" rapper took to his blog Monday and announced his return to the studio, reports People.com. West, who has laid low since hijacking Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the MTV Music Video Awards in September, promised to "bring you the best I have to offer with the same dedication that Kobe [bryant] has on the court."

The star continues, "It's funny how so many rappers get worse as their careers stretch out, but true poets get better." West writes that he wants to follow in the footsteps of giants like Maya Angelou, Nina Simone and Gill Scott-Heron (whose name West misspells "Herron").

In his usual style of all capital letters, West also wrote, "Their work improved with time. They documented what was happening in culture." The rapper, who is nominated for six Grammy Awards, adds that "modern day poets and artists" have a responsibility to represent what's happening, so that "when the powers that be try to rewrite history you can always look at our works and find truth."

At the end of the post, West also took aim at the media, encouraging fans to "soak in positive forces and look down upon those who masquerade as truth tellers… Look past the headlines and deal with just a bit of reality."

The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards air live on Jan. 31 at 8 p.m. on CBS.