Racial injustice and mental wellness

I am curious to know how the racial injustices suffered today are impacting mental wellness.  I noticed that as a result of such occurrences that many of the people in our communities are experiencing symptoms related to PTSD and increased anxiety and depression.  However, I am not certain that we are seeking the help we may need to process what we are really facing.  Has the conditioning of our society, culture, and tradition desensitized us to the point that we are potentially suffering emotionally inside of suffering through everything that is going on?  If so, what can we do to help?

• Thanks 2

These are all great points and questions!

I am curious to know how the racial injustices suffered today are impacting mental wellness.  I noticed that as a result of such occurrences that many of the people in our communities are experiencing symptoms related to PTSD and increased anxiety and depression. 

There are MANY factors contributing to the PTSD and anxiety that many of our people are going through including:

-The violence many see and experience at the hands of other AfroAmericans as well as racist Caucasians.

-Being unable to pay rent, utility bills, and other basic needs because of financial insecurity.

-Eating the wrong foods.
Because  eating certain foods can affect your mental health making you depressed or give you anxiety!

-Coming from and living in dysfunctional families and not knowing HOW to correct them and make them functioning.

However, I am not certain that we are seeking the help we may need to process what we are really facing. 

Most of our people are not; but this too has many reasons but the number one reason most of our people who need psychological help aren't getting it is because the help ISN'T AVAILABLE.
Most of the psychologists and psychiatrists whether they are Caucasian or even African are trained BY Caucasians FOR the Caucasian mind!
We are a unique people with unique issues and a unique psyche and we need professionally trained mental health experts specially trained to help US.

Has the conditioning of our society, culture, and tradition desensitized us to the point that we are potentially suffering emotionally inside of suffering through everything that is going on? 

To a certain extent.

But like many Caucasians....many of our people DON'T CARE and many have NEVER CARED.
They are born psychopaths who don't have any empathy for anyone else including their own family and children.  We must undersand this and recognize these people and separate them from the rest of our people who CAN be helped.

Most AfroAmericans are poor and in most poor societies STRENGTH is more highly prized than being seen as soft and asking for health.
So a lot of AfroAmericans don't want to appear weak by asking for help.

Another problem is like I said earlier, even if they WANT the help....they can't get it.

Both of them get caught with drugs or drinking while driving and the Caucasians gets a counselor and a shoulder to cry on while the AfroAmerican gets thrown in jail.

If so, what can we do to help?

We need BLACK psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in the AfroAmerican pschye...because we are a unique people with a unique psyche shaped by unique experiences.  
We are not like any other people on this planet and we need to UNDERSTAND this and treat ourselves accordingly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

These are all great points and questions!

I am curious to know how the racial injustices suffered today are impacting mental wellness.  I noticed that as a result of such occurrences that many of the people in our communities are experiencing symptoms related to PTSD and increased anxiety and depression. 

There are MANY factors contributing to the PTSD and anxiety that many of our people are going through including:

-The violence many see and experience at the hands of other AfroAmericans as well as racist Caucasians.

-Being unable to pay rent, utility bills, and other basic needs because of financial insecurity.

-Eating the wrong foods.
Because  eating certain foods can affect your mental health making you depressed or give you anxiety!

-Coming from and living in dysfunctional families and not knowing HOW to correct them and make them functioning.

However, I am not certain that we are seeking the help we may need to process what we are really facing. 

Most of our people are not; but this too has many reasons but the number one reason most of our people who need psychological help aren't getting it is because the help ISN'T AVAILABLE.
Most of the psychologists and psychiatrists whether they are Caucasian or even African are trained BY Caucasians FOR the Caucasian mind!
We are a unique people with unique issues and a unique psyche and we need professionally trained mental health experts specially trained to help US.

Has the conditioning of our society, culture, and tradition desensitized us to the point that we are potentially suffering emotionally inside of suffering through everything that is going on? 

To a certain extent.

But like many Caucasians....many of our people DON'T CARE and many have NEVER CARED.
They are born psychopaths who don't have any empathy for anyone else including their own family and children.  We must undersand this and recognize these people and separate them from the rest of our people who CAN be helped.

Most AfroAmericans are poor and in most poor societies STRENGTH is more highly prized than being seen as soft and asking for health.
So a lot of AfroAmericans don't want to appear weak by asking for help.

Another problem is like I said earlier, even if they WANT the help....they can't get it.

Both of them get caught with drugs or drinking while driving and the Caucasians gets a counselor and a shoulder to cry on while the AfroAmerican gets thrown in jail.

If so, what can we do to help?

We need BLACK psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in the AfroAmerican pschye...because we are a unique people with a unique psyche shaped by unique experiences.  
We are not like any other people on this planet and we need to UNDERSTAND this and treat ourselves accordingly.

Great feedback.  Absolutely respect your position.  Then I posed the question for the solution for this issue;  Where are those of us who possess this ability/credential?; and How do we find you?

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say.....

The BEST solution is to remove ourselves from under the authority of the system of White Supremacy.
Unless you do that, the problems will persist because White Supremacy CAUSED nearly all of the problems (directly or indirectly) that our people face today.

(For those of you who doubt what I'm saying or think it's too simplistic.....NAME ME a problem and I'll show you how it's tied to White Supremacy).

The second best thing to do is to OPPOSE White Supremacy and it's effects on our community as much as possible and that alone will improve the mental health of our people.  They will be so busy understanding themselves and their environment that:

1. They will solve most of their problems WHILE in the process of doing the work.
2. Most of the problems that remain afterwards will seem so insignificant that they will be for the most part ignored.

People will still have SOME problems.
Problems existed before Caucasians existed, but most of them will resolve themselves.

Again, I caution anyone who thinks I'm being too simplistic or don't understand mental health, the chemistry of the brain, neurotransmitters, ect...and how all of it is related to White Supremacy.

Where are those of us who possess this ability/credential?
How do we find you?

If you're talking about me personally, I've been frequenting this site for years and people can ask me any question they like or ask me for any advice or opinion.
Something tells me that the internet is going to be disrupted just like everything else in this society in the very near future for a short period of time; but while it's up and I'm still on....I can communicate.

But if you mean "you" as in those who posses the ability/creditials....I've done community service work as well as community organizing for years helping the homeless, people with mental health issues, and people with criminal issues who were going in and out of jail but I'm not degreed or accredited by an institution  like a psychologist, therapist, or psychiatrist. However  I've helped hundreds if not thousands of people....especially when they LISTEN to me instead of the Caucasians, lol.

Infact, just a couple weeks ago a young lady I was working with celebrated her 5th year off of anti-depressants after being on them for over 12 years....because she followed my advice about what to eat and some supplements to take.

There are a lot of intelligent effective AfroAmericans who can help us.  The problem is too many of our people have been brainwashed into putting their faith into Caucasians and those TRAINED by Caucasians to the point they no longer have any confidence in themselves and their own ability to solve their own problems.

I've learned to focus on result.
I don't care if you have a white coat and glasses on with a bunch of degrees behind your name.
If someone has a serious problem and instead of solving it all you do is "medicate" them so that they can tolerate it...you aren't an "expert".
You're just a well educated "pusher man".

28 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say.....

The BEST solution is to remove ourselves from under the authority of the system of White Supremacy.
Unless you do that, the problems will persist because White Supremacy CAUSED nearly all of the problems (directly or indirectly) that our people face today.

(For those of you who doubt what I'm saying or think it's too simplistic.....NAME ME a problem and I'll show you how it's tied to White Supremacy).

The second best thing to do is to OPPOSE White Supremacy and it's effects on our community as much as possible and that alone will improve the mental health of our people.  They will be so busy understanding themselves and their environment that:

1. They will solve most of their problems WHILE in the process of doing the work.
2. Most of the problems that remain afterwards will seem so insignificant that they will be for the most part ignored.

People will still have SOME problems.
Problems existed before Caucasians existed, but most of them will resolve themselves.

Again, I caution anyone who thinks I'm being too simplistic or don't understand mental health, the chemistry of the brain, neurotransmitters, ect...and how all of it is related to White Supremacy.

Where are those of us who possess this ability/credential?
How do we find you?

If you're talking about me personally, I've been frequenting this site for years and people can ask me any question they like or ask me for any advice or opinion.
Something tells me that the internet is going to be disrupted just like everything else in this society in the very near future for a short period of time; but while it's up and I'm still on....I can communicate.

But if you mean "you" as in those who posses the ability/creditials....I've done community service work as well as community organizing for years helping the homeless, people with mental health issues, and people with criminal issues who were going in and out of jail but I'm not degreed or accredited by an institution  like a psychologist, therapist, or psychiatrist. However  I've helped hundreds if not thousands of people....especially when they LISTEN to me instead of the Caucasians, lol.

Infact, just a couple weeks ago a young lady I was working with celebrated her 5th year off of anti-depressants after being on them for over 12 years....because she followed my advice about what to eat and some supplements to take.

There are a lot of intelligent effective AfroAmericans who can help us.  The problem is too many of our people have been brainwashed into putting their faith into Caucasians and those TRAINED by Caucasians to the point they no longer have any confidence in themselves and their own ability to solve their own problems.

I've learned to focus on result.
I don't care if you have a white coat and glasses on with a bunch of degrees behind your name.
If someone has a serious problem and instead of solving it all you do is "medicate" them so that they can tolerate it...you aren't an "expert".
You're just a well educated "pusher man".

Respectfully enjoyed hearing your perspective as it mirrors that of my own as I am finding myself pondering more and more each day, where are we missing the mark?  yes i believe so many of us are doing the work however we can't neglect that the harvest is plentiful; it is that of the laborers who have become complacent in our world system. Yes i also believe that the disconnect to the internet is quickly approaching.  However, the minds of our people are so drawn in and distracted and confused already that some will not even see the sword coming.  Keep using your passion, voice, and purpose in life to do what you do.  I applaud you.  I stand with you.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ann Bray Smith said:

i also believe that the disconnect to the internet is quickly approaching.

I believe the internet is a tool that can be used for good or evil. The Internet is what you make of it. 

Personally I have made a conscious decision not to consume information derives from social media. I'm not always successful because I have a social media presence for a AALBC.  Each social media platform cleverly requires you to see your feed before you can really do anything. So I use those platforms with blinders on and do the best I can.

I don't follow celebrities --I'm defintely not following 45. Indeed I only follow people I actually know and most of the people I know, in the real world are not very engaged in social media anyway.

The Internet, technology in general, is too powerful to completely leave alone the world can be a better place with them as long as we don't forget the things that are more important like a human beings and the natural world.

This is how I maintain my mental health 🙂

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Something tells me that the internet is going to be disrupted

This is a different concern. Sure we should be prepared a loss of the internet. I'm mean don't plan for it like it will happen tomorrow, but consider what would you do if there were not internet for a week, a month, a year.

The Internet has already been disrupted. The Internet is under the control of a handful of massively powerful corporations. The people are for more dependent on these companies than they were during early days of the Internet. For this reason the Internet is far less valuable than it could be and I'd argue far more destructive.

Sometimes I wonder if the world would be better off without what the WWW has become. I'm not convinced that it is, and this is coming from someone whose livelihood is dependent upon the WWW.

One of my concerns is the WWW's impact on our collective mental health.

• Like 1

Troy

This is how I maintain my mental health

When you talk about mental health, it seems that you are talking about it strictly from psychological terms.

When I was talking about mental health I'm talking about it from both psychological AND psychiatric terms because both are very important.

If you have a true psychiatric problem......as many of our people have....simply monitoring   what you expose yourself to or removing yourself from social media won't help.

If it would...wouldn't have been any schizophrenics or bi-polar people before the internet.

but consider what would you do if there were not internet for a week, a month, a year.

I'm prepared for that.

This is one of the reasons I believe in storing up books and trying to get hard-copies of my favorite books.

To be honest, I don't think most people SHOULD have access to the internet anyway because too many of them are using it for the wrong reasons.

Like I said in another thread.......

You're a mother with an autistic son who sits in the corner of the room drooling all day and all night and instead of using the internet to study the brain and chemistry to maybe come up with a cure or atleast an effective treatment to HELP him, you're hitting the clubs and downloading videos of yourself twerking...

image.jpeg.5013a5bed6887d215570e5c18ee87b11.jpeg

"Don't stop....
Get it get it...."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

If you have a true psychiatric problem......as many of our people have....simply monitoring   what you expose yourself to or removing yourself from social media won't help.

True, but I don't think @Ann Bray Smith was talking about brain maladies like schizophrenia and other conditions requiring psychiatric help.

She was talking about things depression (not clinical) and PTSD.

• Like 1

Troy

I don't think @Ann Bray Smith was talking about brain maladies like schizophrenia and other conditions requiring psychiatric help.

Perhaps you're right, I'm not sure.

But she SHOULD have been if she wasn't because proper psychiatric help is just as important if not more.

If someone has a chemical imbalance in the brain causing them problems...all the "therapy" and "counseling" in the world is of little help because the underlying cause is a PHYSICAL one.
It's like inviting a woman with a broken leg to sit in on a discussion group thinking that's going to set her leg and mend her broken bone!

She was talking about things depression (not clinical) and PTSD.

Both Depression (true) and PTSD are psychiatric also.

If it's not clinical, it's not Depression.

Caucasians (I have to keep going back to Caucasians and White Supremacy because they are the cause) have confused the public about mental health and health in general.  Many of THEM know the truth, but they confuse many of our people into NOT knowing the truth so they end up running around in circles THINKING they know what they don't know and wondering why they aren't making much progress.

That's why it's important for our people to be PROPERLY EDUCATED on mental health, instead of going by what they THINK they know.

Problem is, the arrogance of the average AfroAmerican prevents them from finding out the truth.

I had a very religious "church every Sunday and Wednesday" sister argue with me because she thinks autism is caused by "possession". 
You can't tell her anything different.

See, it's bad enough to be ignorant and simply not know.
But when you don't know but THINK you know....that's much worse, because now no one can tell you different, especially another AfroAmerican.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Both Depression (true) and PTSD are psychiatric also.

If it's not clinical, it's not Depression.

Ok you probably know more than I on the subject. I thought many people became depressed at one point maybe they were just sad.

15 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I had a very religious "church every Sunday and Wednesday" sister argue with me because she thinks autism is caused by "possession". 
You can't tell her anything

Sure, I believe it. She is no different than the people who believe autism somes from the MMR vaccine.

• Like 1

Troy

Ok you probably know more than I on the subject. I thought many people became depressed at one point maybe they were just sad.

You're right, many people DO become depressed at some point in their lives but they don't know what it is or what caused it.
You can get DEPRESSION in the middle of success if your chemistry is disrupted.

It has little to do with outside events in your life.  And it feels much different than regular "sadness".

Also, these type of chemical imbalances of the brain is behind MOST of the violence you see going on in the urban areas of the United States.
A lot of the violence is caused by literally CRAZY people with undiagnosed psychiatric problems being ALLOWED to roam around in the community.
The Caucasian police know who they are and don't do anything about it UNTIL they hurt somebody and run off.....then the police come and take down notes.

image.jpeg.66a9a6738990d870c70e20c65bc5937b.jpeg

It ain't happening in THEIR community, so who cares.

Sure, I believe it. She is no different than the people who believe autism somes from the MMR v*ccine.

Lol.......
I think you know by now that I'm an anti-vaxxer.

I wouldn't say it's the same thing because their is NO EVIDENCE that autism is caused by possession but there is PLENTY of evidence and some would even say "proof" that autism is caused by v*ccines.

I'm not 100% sure where autism comes from but I DO believe it's linked to v*ccination.
Autism has been steadily increasing among AfroAmerican males for the past 40 years....something is causing it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I wouldn't say it's the same thing because

Of curse you would say that.  Your morality allows you to reject reality sometimes and accept it other times.  

Autism has been steadily increasing among AfroAmerican males for the past 40 years....something is causing it!

Would you share the numbers?  Also could it be that the condition is being diagnosed and tracked more?  Is the increase limited to only Black people?

• Like 1

Troy

Of curse you would say that.  Your morality allows you to reject reality sometimes and accept it other times.  

???????

What "reality" have I rejected?

And before you respond, make sure you're not confusing your OPINION with "reality"....lol.

Also could it be that the condition is being diagnosed and tracked more? 

You're starting to sound like Agent Orange, lol.

"The numbers are rising because of those damn tests!!!"

I believe it's actually both.
More diagnosing AND an increase in rates.

Is the increase limited to only Black people?

Irrelevant.

Lynching wasn't "limited" to Black people but Black people were the disproportionate victims.

Crack wasn't "limited" to Black people but Black communities were the disproportionate target.

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Is the increase limited to only Black people?

Irrelevant.

Of course it's relevant; if the increase was proportional with white people this would disprove your assertion that Black people were targeted specifically.

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

And before you respond, make sure you're not confusing your OPINION with "reality"....lol.

Ok so show me information, not conjectured by another antivaxer, which shows vaccines are directly correlated with an increase in autism in Black children.

Simple right?

Troy

Of course it's relevant; if the increase was proportional with white people this would disprove your assertion that Black people were targeted specifically.

No, it wouldn't "disprove" it.

It may be considered "evidence" of my being wrong....but it wouldn't PROVE that I'm wrong nor DISPROVE my assertion.

In order to "disprove" my assertion you would have to provide PROOF that there was and is NO INTENT behind the increased rate of Autism among Black boys.

Ok so show me information, not conjectured by another antivaxer, which shows vaccines are directly correlated with an increase in autism in Black children.

It's not polite to respond to a question WITH another question instead of answering it.

Let's put this in perspective.......

YOU SAID:
"Your morality allows you to reject reality sometimes and accept it other times. "

That was YOUR accusation.

Then I asked you to provide me with an example of a "reality" that I've rejected.

I'm asking you to do that BEFORE asking me a barrage of other questions that try to steer us off topic.

Can you back up your accusation of my denying reality at times with a CLEAR EXAMPLE of something that was real and proven that I rejected?

If you'll say NO and admit you have no example.....lol....I'll be glad to move on.

Then I asked you to provide me with an example of a "reality" that I've rejected.

Oh I thought that was evident. Vaccines have saved countless lives and would completely have completely eradicated dangerous diseases were it not for you antivaxers.

You reject the idea the reality that Vaccines provide a benefit to society.

Of course I could point out your belief in multiple human races, but that would be too easy.

Troy

You reject the idea the reality that Vaccines provide a benefit to society

I don't deny that reality.

I accept that v*ccines provide a benefit to society.

I also accept that they cause harm to society.

Now, since you can't use THAT as an example of me denying reality.....can you provide us with an ACTUAL example of me denying reality before moving on to the autism aspect?

BTW.......

The reason I spell v*ccines with an asterisk is because if you mention the word too much, your site may get flagged.

I've seen it before.

There is an agenda to push v*ccinations and so if people start having discussions about it they monitor the site and if there is too much negativity over them they get targeted.

Now YOU seem to be for them, but still.....it draws attention.

51 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I accept that v*ccines provide a benefit to society.

I also accept that they cause harm to society.

But you believe they do more harm than good, PLUS they are designed to give Black children autism, which just a crazy notion given all the good we have seen vaccines provide.

I'm not worried about some corporation run by some white boys flagging this discussion forum for the use of a word. Google can go fuck themselves if they wanna flag this site for use of the word VACCINE!

Don't get me started man...

Troy

Ok
Well if you aren't worried about it I won't lose any sleep either, lol.

But you believe they do more harm than good, PLUS they are designed to give Black children autism, which just a crazy notion given all the good we have seen vaccines provide.

I don't believe you've heard ME SAY they've done more harm than good either....lol.
Can you show me a quote of my saying that?

You keep trying to paint a picture of my position that makes it seem ridiculous or more extreme or one sided than it really is.

I said that I BELIEVE vaccines are bad and are giving AfroAmerican boys autism.

How much MORE bad than good it is, is irrelevant....it's bad.

How many MORE White children than Black children are getting Autism is irrelevant.....Black children are getting autism.

The purpose of White Supremacy is to CONFUSE and DOMINATE and if necessary DESTROY people of color, no matter how many of their own are lost in the process.

Don't get me started man..

Actually I should.
It's not often I get a chance to witness you use strong language, lol.

38 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

I said that I BELIEVE vaccines are bad and are giving AfroAmerican boys autism.

Yes exactly!

What I wrote sounds crazy to you because it is crazy. You have contorted the crazy belief into verbiage that you can accept. It does not matter if there is nothing to substantiate your belief you choose to believe it and have fine tuned the language in such a way for it to make sense and sit with you. To me it sounds crazy.

If you had children @Pioneer1 you really would not get them vaccinated?

----

I'm dropping no more f-bombs today slick. 🙂

Troy

If you had children @Pioneer1 you really would not get them vaccinated?

Not if I could help it.

I used to run around saying what I would and wouldn't tolerate without realizing that there are authorities with more power who have sneaky ways of doing things without my knowledge and I had to recognize that.

I was engaged before and me and my fiance used to talk about this all the time because she worked (works?) in the medical industry and believed in vaccines too.  When we talked about children and what our family would be like we went rounds and rounds over whether or not our children would be vaccinated and how many they would get. But she also understood my distrust and believed in natural medicine as well.

So I would do my best to see that they WERE NOT vaccinated.

But then again.......
I wouldn't send my children to public fools schools anyway.

If there weren't any decent AfroAmerican private schools to send them to I'd HOME SCHOOL them.

Let us save some time.........

I have numerous scientific articles that prove there is a rise of autism among Black boys but none of them say that the rise is due to vaccines.

Something tells me that won't be enough for you.

23 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

If you had children @Pioneer1 you really would not get them vaccinated?

Not if I could help it.

This says it all. You believe you are protecting Black boys from the evil racists who have added something to vaccines that target only Black boys and gives them autism.  You have the inside knowledge being hid from us and everyone else are ignorant or fools (the morally convicted, recjects science).

23 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I have numerous scientific articles that prove there is a rise of autism among Black boys but none of them say that the rise is due to vaccines.

Of course not, because there aren't any. Correlation does not prove causation.

I'm curious though were did you read about an increase in autism Black boys?

Troy

You believe you are protecting Black boys from the evil racists who have added something to vaccines that target only Black boys and gives them autism. 

Lol....in a nutshell.

You have the inside knowledge being hid from us and everyone else are ignorant or fools (the morally convicted, recjects science).

Nooo Troy, noooooo.....here you go again attempting to PAINT a picture of my position to make it seem extreme or ridiculous.
You are embellishing my position in a similar fashion to building strawman arguments.

First of all I don't have "inside knowledge" about the vaccines.  I have certain BELIEFS about them based on the knowledge and beliefs that I DO have from what I've read and heard.  
I don't KNOW too much truth about them one way or the other because I haven't been privy to enough first hand evidence and facts.

Nor do I think those who disagree are "ignorant" or "fools".  
They have their beliefs and I have mine.
The BIGGEST difference between AfroAmericans like me and them are that we DO NOT TRUST the Caucasians who are pushing vaccinations like they do.  And because of this distrust we suspect them to be the cause of many of the problems.

You trust them!
And because you do, you don't suspect them of any maliciousness behavior UNTIL it manifests itself clearly beyond any doubt....lol...and then you are taken by surprise....lol.

If we both were alive back in the 1940s, YOU would be surprised that they were giving Black men syphilis......I wouldn't have.
I wouldn't have trusted them in the first place.

Correlation does not prove causation.

No, but it is EVIDENCE of it.

It's certainly something that would cause you to take notice and dig deeper.

I'm curious though were did you read about an increase in autism Black boys?

https://neurosciencenews.com/autism-rates-14819/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7461319/Autism-rates-rising-fastest-Hispanic-black-children-study-finds.html

https://www.colorlines.com/articles/new-documentary-alleges-cdc-withheld-proof-link-between-vaccines-and-autism-black-boys

https://www.healmindbody.com/higher-autism-rate-among-african-american-boys-receiving-mmr/

Guest Garland Gregory
On 10/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, Ann Bray Smith said:

I am curious to know how the racial injustices suffered today are impacting mental wellness.  I noticed that as a result of such occurrences that many of the people in our communities are experiencing symptoms related to PTSD and increased anxiety and depression.  However, I am not certain that we are seeking the help we may need to process what we are really facing.  Has the conditioning of our society, culture, and tradition desensitized us to the point that we are potentially suffering emotionally inside of suffering through everything that is going on?  If so, what can we do to help?

It may help for an individual to first recognize that their group (such as African Americans) is not alone in suffering; so, too, have (and still do) women, Jews, gays, the poor, etc. Suffering is part of the human condition... the human experience... the soul's challenge. One may then begin to employ any number of coping and recuperating strategies that have proved successful for others. Buddhists readings on suffering may also prove to be very helpful. Then, share what you found with your own community.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, Ann Bray Smith said:

It feels nice that someone even considered to ask!   Thank you!

I personally feel sustained stress directly connected to racial injustice is the foundation of most of our problems.  Most mental un-wellness is passed down from generation to generation and amplified by world experiences.  

• Like 1

"Triple G"

It may help for an individual to first recognize that their group (such as African Americans) is not alone in suffering; 
so, too, have (and still do) women, Jews, gays, the poor, etc. Suffering is part of the human condition... the human experience... the soul's challenge. 

Although AfroAmericans aren't alone, what our people are going through is UNIQUE.
The pain and humilliation that AfroAmericans are going through may not be as INTENSE as what happened to some other groups but it seems to be longer lasting and more complex than many other oppressed groups.

AfroAmericans seem to be particularly "targeted" by White Supremacists more than other groups....for oppression.
For example.................

I've  been in construction sites and restaurants with dozens of Latinos  working on them who couldn't speak English but no Border Patrol, ICE agents, or any other law enforcement were harassing them or interrogating them.
They were allowed to work and make money in peace.

Union Advocates Fighting For Latino Construction Workers In Brooklyn, Who  Say They Are Owed More Than $89,000 In Unpaid Wages - WNY Labor Today: Your  On-Line Labor Newspaper, Bringing You Labor News

"Mira!
No eres  los negros......eres bueno ahki, comprendes?
Trabajo con paz....carnales!"

Now...some of you ask, what's wrong with that?
Shouldn't they be allowed to come to America and feed their families?

Well.....
You may be in a NATION for many legitimate reasons like visiting people or on vacation, nothing wrong with that; but when you are actually WORKING and MAKING MONEY you need to either be a citizen or have a permit to do so....which means you need to speak English to be able to pass certain tests and even read the rules of your job.
Which clearly they can't.

But they're being ALLOWED to work and make money and send it back home....sucking money out of our economy....with IMPUNITY.

You ask again.....well who is THAT hurting, they're doing their own thing.

But the problem is why are OTHER people allowed to break the law to make money but when the young brother or sister on the street does it he is harrased and arrested?

See, some people are being ALLOWED to break the law and do what they want....while others are being checked on every corner.

The only reason many Latinos are having the success that they're enjoying is because they are being ALLOWED to do so by the White Supremacists who aren't going after them.

I've worked on jobs where if two or more AfroAmericans stop for a couple minutes to have a chat....a White person will walk up on them and tell them to break it up and get back to work; while on those same jobs Latinos can speak to eachother in Espanol for 5 or 10 minutes straight and the White person will just roll their eyes and walk past them or ignore it.

They aren't "targeted" like our people are!

These things affects the stress levels and mental health of our people because a person can only take so much harassment and mistreatment and stress before they "snap" and either get violent or become catatonic where they just walk around like a zombie.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, Ann Bray Smith said:

Oftentimes, we don't equate our suffering with anything in particular. We just suffer and we have become so good at it that it is simply another condition of our oppression that we learn to accept and internalize. Most of us may have already been stressed out before Covid and the most recent spate of racial injustices and though these pandemics may have accelerated our mental decay, it's  merely 'another brick in the wall.' No matter how much we suffer, we always know that it can get worse so instead of seeking help, we brace ourselves for wherever is coming next. 

• Like 1