Is It True The Rich Aren’t Pay Their Fare Share of Taxes

“In 2016, the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers (those with AGI below $40,078) earned 11.6 percent of total AGI. This group of taxpayers paid $43.9 billion in taxes, or roughly 3 percent of all income taxes in 2016.“  according to https://taxfoundation.org/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2018-update/ 

“The In 2016, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid roughly $538 billion, or 37.3 percent of all income taxes, while the bottom 90 percent paid about $440 billion, or 30.5 percent of all income taxes.“ 

The problem is a question of ownership of the Nation. One of the key concerns when founding this nation was the question of “Taxation without Representation”. If the top 10% had their taxes doubled that would mean they paid all the Income Tax. The problem is that if they pay all the taxes we lose a key principal that gives us moral authority to vote 🗳.

Do we want to wind up with a nation where the national agenda is dictated by the 1% and we have no recourse because we gave away our claim to representation? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I support an across the board FLAT tax of less than 10% for all people regardless of their income.

Infact,  the Federal Government doesn't really need anyone's taxes because they have the Constitutional right to literally make their own money.
The only governments that "need" taxes as a source of revenue are State and Local governments.

23 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

If the top 10% had their taxes doubled that would mean they paid all the Income Tax. The problem is that if they pay all the taxes we lose a key principal that gives us moral authority to vote

Your premise is flawed. The right to vote has nothing to do with the taxes you pay.

However our representation is a function if how much money you have. The very wealthy control our government. The U.S. is a plutocracy. Party does not really matter very much.

Real change, to @Pioneer1's point, will only come through revolution. The civil war was needed to end slavery. Real change only comes after some pain

Voting only really matters in the short term, real change, at least one that will make our government truly representative and enable everyone to share in the country's prosperity won't come easily.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Your premise is flawed. The right to vote has nothing to do with the taxes you pay.

Where do you get your non American understanding of the causes of the American Revolution. No taxation without representation a phrase, generally attributed to James Otis about 1761, that reflected the resentment of American colonists at being taxed by a British Parliament to which they elected no representatives and became an anti-British slogan before the American Revolution; in full, “Taxation without representation is tyranny.”

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Where do you get you understanding of voting?  It is 2020; the country did not even exist in 1761.

From the foundation of America. If you don’t vote you don’t express who you want to represent you in this Constitutional Republic. My concept of voting comes from the same one Blacks fought for because it is a right of citizenship to participate in the decision. 

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

To

You really need to seek help.

Here are facts Trump Won Highest Share of Non-White Vote of Any Republican Since 1960, Exit Polls Show https://www.nationalreview.com/news/trump-won-highest-share-of-non-white-vote-of-any-republican-since-1960-exit-polls-show/

Troy

As far as I'm concerned, things are going just fine.

Trump is crying foul and saying that the election is a fraud.

He's probably going to dispute the election result.

He's stirring up his racist red-neck base to cause chaos.

Yes sir, things are going EXACTLY in the direction I like them to...so far.

5 hours ago, daniellegfny said:

The challenge I am finding with these threads is that people go way off topic. 

I admit I do that a lot.

However, I've learned from experiences that if you just let people talk long enough you'll eventually get the answers you want from them AND MORE, lol.