BEHIND DA LEGAL 8 BALL

To date, there are three primary reasons given for the black man’s tenure at the bottom of the  social totem pole. I’m convinced there are more, but the three most commonly accepted ones, due to my studies, are that we are where we are because of (1.)  Divine Decree.  (2) Hereditary, or (3) Social Engineering/Laws

Okay, let’s examine the trio of woes. Gonna start at the bottom and work my way up since the path is more objective.

Let’s use 1865 as a start date for our freedoms here in this country, and take a look at some of the laws that were enacted to halt our forward momentum. I have already mentioned the infamous Pig Law of 1867 which initiated the plantation to prison pipeline. But long before this ‘jailbait’ law, white America started as early as 1638 to pass laws to put us in our place. Without any doubt, this law and others were designed to criminalize black life. There were no jobs for us, so we could get busted and locked up for not being employed. Since there were harsh laws against vagrancy and loitering, the best way to beat the law was for a brotha to get protection from a while landowner who would take the brotha under his wing to exploit him

In 1638, Maryland, fearing that the industriousness of the free blacks in that state would lead to black prosperity and economic independence passed a law that declared that ‘blacks shall not share any fruits of white society’ which effectively limited avenues of capital and access to the means by which to earn a wage outside of menial, manual labor. Shortly thereafter, since this Public Policy worked so well in holding blacks hostage to a master/slave relationship with white America, it was adopted as national policy by 1705 but with a really racist twist.

All of a sudden, in 1705, it wasn’t just enough for white America to know that black America knew its place, they wanted to make good and damned sure that white America truly understood just what the hell was going on by making sure they recognized that they had a moral obligation to help niggers stay in their place. You see, it was not enough that we knew our place, it was equally imperative that white folks knew how to keep us in place. Therefore, laws were enacted that defined how blacks should act when in the presence or company of whites, and by the same token, it taught whites that they should act superior when in the company of blacks. In case, they failed to do so, they could be fined or jailed for not treating blacks like shit, and every church, business, and civic organization was bound by this law.

Around this time, it was like a national game show in America as states competed with one another to see who could hold niggas back the most. In 1710, Virginia got in the red zone and punched it in for a touchdown when they passed the Meritorious Manumission Law. Okay, let me pause. I’m a street person, hustled all my life so many of you may not know about the feds ‘snitch law’. It’s called Substantial Assistance and it works by snitching on someone to get you off the hook. And that is exactly what that 1710 Law was about. It rewarded blacks with snitching on other blacks and by doing so, they would get privileges otherwise denied to regular brothas. The law was called ‘crabbing’ and that is why the phrase, “like crabs in a barrel” refers to us sometimes. In any event, the law was designed specifically to destroy any sense of community by pitting us against each other as we competed for the crumbs from Massa’s table.

As I mention over and over again, the white man was there, an eyewitness to what we did. The white man witnessed us making crops grow from barren earth. We tamed horses. We planted shit on this side of the Atlantic that wasn’t supposed to grow so there is no way they were going to award us forty acres and a mule. We understood the secrets of nature and could become self-sufficient through agricultural means.

Being no fools, the whiteys knew they had to get us out of the country, away from land. What came next was no accident since the whites wanted to move us into the city where we would be like a fish out of water. We were strangers to the concrete jungle. We understood land and nature, but asphalt and steel cities were alien to us. Crackers knew what they were doing.

Remember MLK and the March on Washington. Well, Malcolm called it the ‘Farce on Washington’ since everything had been carefully crafted behind the scenes by the Jewish leaders who ran the NAACP. MLK was only a front. Jewish men organized the event, even deciding who would speak and what the tone of the messages would be. I know Bayard Russell gets credit with the logistics of the march, but it was all contrived and micro-managed by white forces in the background.

Same thing with the Great Migration of blacks from the rural south to the urban cities of the north. I’m paraphrasing some of my extensive notes, but after WWII, a Commission on Employment was set up to lure blacks into the cities where they could be better contained, if not controlled. Anyway, the Commission went on to report that they needed to keep certain segments of society away from the land in the south so they could become CONSUMERS! In the north.

I mean, was that master game or what? Whitey saw us coming. Better yet, whitey sent for us. He wanted to get us away from the one thing we understood which was land. The white man was so sharp and devious that once he couldn’t get any more paper off of us as slaves, he  sent us north and overnight, we were transformed into consumers. What more could be expected? For the first time in our collective history, we get our first shot at getting our hands on some real paper. Since, we had no prior contact with the almighty dollar bill, all we knew to do with it was to spend it. What else could it have been good for, and just in case we somehow learned to invest it, the white man was a step ahead of us. They wanted us to earn money and then to give it back by spending it on shit that boggled our imagination. Bought up every little trinket in sight.

To prevent us from investing our money or to use it to start businesses, white folks passed countless Public Policy Laws to insure that there would never be a transfer of power under any circumstances because the laws dictated that blacks ‘were to be a managed work force and would not be allowed to compete with whites in commercial or business deals.’ This was nothing more than the ‘ole keep a nigga down law’. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Fortunately, for the other team, this law worked so flawlessly that it carried on, continuing under different guises and disguises. In one era, these draconian laws might be disguised in a top hat and a whip while the next time you encounter the law, it is wearing a mini-skirt and ho boots. Either way, it’s a trap.

However, there were still pockets of economic resistance in practically every state, but just as soon as these financial meccas of Black Wall Streets were discovered, they were destroyed, leaving no traces of how successful we could be without white interference. But then, under mounting pressure and universal condemnation for its treatment of brothas, white America flipped the script and blessed us with integration. For us, we thought integration was the hookup where we could get to be close enough to Mister Charlie and Miss Ann that we would now be friends with benefits. Well, they reaped the benefits as always.

Integration came with strings attached that we couldn’t or didn’t see. Along with integration came what is or was known as The Tipping Point which measured how many niggas to let integrate into Crackerville before the tipping point was reached. The Tipping Point was the point where if one too many niggas was let in, the whole shebang would go to hell. Nevertheless, integration was a process where just the right number of us could be let in for the purpose of nigga maintenance because once the recommended limit was exceeded, we would no longer be seen as integrationists but as invaders.

And this is only a few of those old laws that were put in force to force us out of equal treatment, but what of today’s restrictive laws. Remember redlining. Redlining as a law, according to scholars is THE major factor in the gulf between white and black wealth. In 1930, the government approved redlining and supported it so that area where we lived could or would be denied loans for improvement which would cause the area to decay which led social scientists to predict that social apathy induced by living in a depressed environment would result in a social pathos where no  substantial learning could ensue. The desired premise was that apathy and despair would lead to chaos where learning would be stifled. This exact premise was proven in those school free meal programs because you can’t process info when you are starving.

In essence, we have been set up to fail by the government as the laws will attest, and though things may have changed the underlying rules of the game haven’t. We are still in peril. I am quite sure you know of laws just to hold us back. I am not about to revisit the 14th Amendment issue again but yeah, the deck is stacked against us.