Person. Of. The. Year. Should. Be. George. Floyd.

Time. Person. Of. The. Year. Is. New. President. Joe Biden. And -his -Vice. President. Kamala  Harris. . Time. Person. Of. The. Year. -Should. Have. Been. George. Floyd.  George. Floyd. Televised. -Murder. Was. Seen.   By. The. World.  This. Country. Condemns. -Other. Countries. About. How. They. Treat. Their. People...  This -Country. Supports. Neo. Nazi. In The. Streets. With. AK Rifles -Wearing.  Nazi. Uniforms. With. Nazi. Flag.  Klan. Neo. Nazi. trashy ,police..  Black.,White,, Athletes. Entertainment. Affected,. By. George. -Floyd's. Murder. By. Happy. Racist. Trash. Police..  .World. Wide -Reaction.  .Election. Campaigning Democrats. Not. Talking. About -White. Police. Fired. For. Being. Klan. Members,Racist. White. -Police. Heard. On. Tape. Saying. The  N Word. Nigger Proudly. fired -Racist. North. Carolina. Police. Officer. On. Tape  Saying. I. cannot ,Wait, For. The. Race. War. So. I. Can. Begin. Shooting. Killing -NIGGERS .  Pastor. Warnock Not. Talking. About. Racist. Klan. police -Fired,. And. Heard. On. Tape. Saying. N. Word.  Republicans. -Accuse. Democrats. Of. Defunding Police....White. Police. Are. Racist--Before. They. Put. On. Police. Uniform......

The editors at Time Magazine chose correctly.

The choice of Person of The Year is determined solely by the amount of influence they had on the events of the year. While there is an actual online poll, whomever wins that does not necessarily mean they will chosen. And that is a good thing because emotion cannot get in the way of historical analysis.

Joe Biden and Kamala Harris did have the most influence over events in the U.S. Moreover, they will continue to shape the future of this country and this planet for the next few years.

I offer everlasting respect and condolences to the memory, family, friends and supporters of George Floyd.

It would not have immediately occurred to me if @harry brown had not mentioned it, but one could certainly make a strong argument that George Floyd should be person of the year.

In much the same way that Emmett till impacted the nation and still does, George Floyd had a profound impact on the way that people, white people in particular view how black people have been treated currently, and historically in this country.

Biden and Harris cannot possibly have such a profound impact on the American psyche as George Floyd's murder has. Floyd's murder got white people to ignore a global pandemic and begin  marching the streets for social justice for black people no less. Do you think Biden is going to inspire anything close to that?

Biden and Harris's greatest appeal is that they are not Donald Trump.

I also can make a case for George Floyd to be named Time's Person of the Year. His death was minutes long and it was filmed so those who wanted to could watch the entire murder video. 

But the death of George Floyd did not have a lasting effect all over the country for the full year. It's horror was subtly eclipsed by the presidential campaign, an active and devastating hurricane season and of course, the Pandemic. Some Blacks may rage at this notion, but it's true.

Many legal experts have dissected the Floyd murder and agree that true justice will not prevail. Now as far as Emmett Till, it was not the young man, but the photos of his corpse that shocked the world. The quiet dignity and iron will of his grieving mother crystallized this event for many.   

Joe Biden's greatest appeal is that he is a Democrat and the former Vice President of the Obama administration. Many Blacks made hay out of Biden's comments from when he was much more conservative and tone deaf to the suffering of Blacks. Thus, his victory can be ascribed to his willingness to apologize when he knew he was wrong.  

George Floyd's murder pierced the composure of the U.S. by hardening the attitudes on both sides. Whites expressed disdain because they believed Floyd a career criminal. While outraged and grieving Blacks and their allies received further confirmation that this country is intractably racist, even when being filmed.

Again I have not seen the video but it is hard for me to wrap my head around anyone who think what happened was justified on any level. Sure some will say the Floyd was a career criminal but no one reasonable even right wingers say that the policeman should have murdered Floyd in that manner -- no one.

That police officer's actions are not reflective of America as a whole, or even police officers in general. A very small percentage of humanity is that evil.

Biden does not appeal to me on any level, other than my presumption that he will be a better president than the one in office now.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, Troy said:

That police officer's actions are not reflective of America as a whole, or even police officers in general. A very small percentage of humanity is that evil.

Yes, I agree. 

I just recently heard about a police shooting in Ohio, but I do not know all of the details. It seems pretty bad though.

My experience with police has not been terrible but, I cringe now when I see reports. 

Troy

Hearing so much bad news and so little good news makes one think unecessiasrily poorly of ones fellow human.

For the past few weeks I've been hitting this point hard.
All these reports of AfroAmericans being harasses and beat up.
At some point, if you're not DOING a damn thing about it what the hell are you reporting it for.

From a LOGICAL point of view....yes....you want to hear reality and what's happening in your community.
But from an EMOTIONAL point of view I don't want to hear about how stupid and vulnerable Black folks are constantly getting their ass kicked and conquered.
It doesn't help with one's racial esteem.

Do you EVER win a fight?

Do you have  a story about how a bunch of racist rednecks drove up into a Black neighborhood and ended up getting their asses kicked and ran out?
LET'S HEAR IT!!!
I'll listen to THAT story all day!
Don't spare any details!

But a video of some crazy Black man and he's on his knees crying and begging for his life????

Michelle Malkin Archive - The Unz Review

"Don't hurt me!
Please don't hurt me!!!"

Why would I want to see THAT?

Like Van Jones crying on CNN....why would I or any other Black man want to see that image?

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Don't spare any details!

I'm sure it has happened, but since we own few media platforms and the few that remain are dependent upon white advertising dollars you won't see any stories like that, just Van weeping like a sensitive little girl, modeling the desired behavior.

I was listening to a show on Youtube and just heard of a video of a Black police officer arresting another White officer!!

Apparently they were making an arrest and the White officer tried to brutalize the suspect who was Black and already in custody and handcuffed, and the Black officer ARRESTED HIM ON THE SPOT.

I gotta look for this video.