Blacks in the Bible ... Part One

Over the years, I've encountered many individuals who remain curious about who was Black in the Bible. A lot of them spout legends and myths are absolute falsehoods. Some even mention individuals who actually never appear in the Scriptures.

So I did research and here are my findings. When compiling this data, I incorporated the claims made on different Websites and by many individuals.

I chose to stick with only what I found in the Bible. This way, I would not codify legends, myths and feel good tales. That's how we ended up with a White Jesus. One thing I discovered is that the Bible rarely mentions the skin color of those in the Scriptures.

1) Some believe the Queen of Sheba was named Makeda and that she was Black. But here is no mention of Makeda in the Bible. The Queen of Sheba is indeed mentioned in the Bible, but she is neither identified, nor described.

2) Zipporah was definitely Black and she was the Cushite wife of Moses. How do we know Cushites were Black? Well in the Bible Book of Numbers, the brother and sister of Moses took issue with Moses' choice of a wife. "And Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married: For he had married a Cushite woman." (Num. 12:1).

Some translations use Ethiopian instead of Cushite. I also believe this is the first Biblical reference to an interracial marriage. At Jeremiah 13:23, it reads: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots?" Judging from the color of a leopard's spots, it is easy to discern that the skin color Jeremiah is referring to is Black.

3) The claim that Pharaohs were Black cannot be proven. Because the Bible never identifies the skin color of Egyptians during the time of Exodus. If you run into anyone who claims the Bible does this, ask them to show you the scripture.

The oft-repeated claim that Egypt and Ethiopia are one is untrue. The Bible does indeed mention Africa, but it does so by specifically noting exact regions of the continent, such as Egypt or Cush. And remember, the Bible rarely identifies skin color. 

The Bible usually denotes a geographic area, tribe or lineage. Notable exceptions include the young man from the Song of Solomon who fell in love with a Black girl. The young man is identified as having a ruddy complexion. (Song of Solomon 5:10)

4) When it comes to Ham, take care to recall that the Bible rarely identifies skin color. And so it is with Ham, one of the three sons of Noah. Ham's complexion is never noted in the Bible. So, how could someone claim he was Black, like many White Supremacists and the Mormons do.

Now, Cush, a grandson of Noah, and a son of Ham, is thought by serious Bible scholars to be the Father of the Black race. I will also note that it was Caanan and not Cush, who was cursed by Noah for uncovering his grandfather's nakedness. (Gen. 9:24-26)

5) Nimrod was described in the Bible as "a mighty hunter in opposition to the Lord." He is a Son of Cush. (1st Chronicles 1:10) There is so much confusion among some Blacks over Nimrod. Some think of him as a hero.

However, the rabbinical writings derived the name Nimrod from the Hebrew verb ma•radhʹ, meaning “rebel.” Thus, the Babylonian Talmud (Erubin 53a) states: “Why, then, was he called Nimrod? Because he stirred up the whole world to rebel (himrid) against His [God’s] sovereignty.” — Encyclopedia of Biblical Interpretation, by Menahem M. Kasher, Vol. II, 1955, p. 79.

• Stefan changed the title to Blacks in the Bible ... Part One

The Bible usually denotes a geographic area, tribe or lineage. Notable exceptions include the young man from the Song of Solomon who fell in love with a Black girl. The young man is identified as having a ruddy complexion. (Song of Solomon 5:10)

That young man was Solomon himself.
He was described by that girl as having white ruddy skin and jet black hair.

I've told people for years that he was a Caucasian as well as most of the other Judeans who invaded and occupied that land that originally belonged to the Black Kena'ani people.

There are some who believe that only one male is speaking in the Song of Solomon. And that man is Solomon himself.

But they would be wrong. There are two men speaking in the Song of Solomon, the King and the shepherd boy.

Both are trying to woo the Shulamite maiden. And it is King Solomon, who already had many wives and concubines, who speaks for himself all through the love poem. The Shepherd only speaks through the thoughts of the Shulammite Maiden.

King Solomon could not have been White. Since he lived in ancient Israel, he was the same color as others who were born and lived their lives in that region. And it's likely King Solomon had a similar complexion to modern-day Palestinians. 

There are some who believe that only one male is speaking in the Song of Solomon. And that man is Solomon himself.

Correct.
Those are usually the ones who ACTUALLY READ the book for themselves instead of relying on rumors based in ignorance.

There are two men speaking in the Song of Solomon, the King and the shepherd boy

Mabye in some  modern LGBTQIA+  mis-translation.
But in the  King James version/translation, only ONE man is speaking and ONE woman is speaking.

But IF I'm wrong, I'll gladly accept correction with adequate proof.  

King Solomon could not have been White. Since he lived in ancient Israel, he was the same color as others who were born and lived their lives in that region.

It's entertaining to hear someone who doesn't  appear to even have an understanding of the dynamic racial transformations that have been taking place in the land now called "Palestine" for the 3000 years...sit there with a cold cup of tea and rolled up newspaper making bold declarations about Solomon's racial identity, LOL.

On 12/15/2020 at 2:45 AM, Stefan said:

That's how we ended up with a White Jesus. One thing I discovered is that the Bible rarely mentions the skin color of those in the Scriptures.

@Stefan Yes, I agree. I think that Colorism is described in the Bible, but it is not important from the perspective of the Creator and that would probably why, as you said, it is rarely mentioned in scriptures! 

I also believe this is the first Biblical reference to an interracial marriage.

Are you referencing Moses? I agree about what you wrote about Zipporah but based on my research, Moses was also 'an original man' however, he was very, very fair. He is depicted in Egyptian paintings as having what I call 'sharp' or 'aquiline facial features' but under his scribe cap, Moses had thick hair. Moses, I think was very, very light skinned but his brother, Aaron, however, was depicted in complete contrast to Moses. Aaron is depicted in Egyptian paintings as being somewhat dark skinned. 

The claim that Pharaohs were Black cannot be proven.

Well, some of them were actually very Black or bronze skinned based on my research. I visited some museums in Boston and the Egyptian history is amazing!

Because the Bible never identifies the skin color of Egyptians during the time of Exodus

True! But based on the timelines, I know exactly who the pharaohs were; the whole line of pharaohs during that time span.

ask them to show you the scripture.

I would love to! But again, I contrasted and compared the timelines of the Bible with secular history.

I would love to show the scriptures and reveal the very pharaohs that Moses and his brother Aaron conflicted with but it is so much information. So, I will just say a little now:

It was the 18th Dynasty of the Thutmosis pharaohs and there are many depictions of them. They varied in their physical presence over time because of the type of ancient women they bonded with.

The oft-repeated claim that Egypt and Ethiopia are one is untrue.

Absolutely! I agree.

The young man is identified as having a ruddy complexion. (Song of Solomon 5:10)

I wrote a little about my research on this. Chapter 5 is a transition chapter and it speaks about 'the ruddy' or complexion of the coming BELOVED; this is Solomon's prophecy of the GREATEST BELOVED. He is speaking about the Coming of Jesus. But all of the chapters prior to chapter 5, is about Solomon and this black maiden that he did marry and her name was Abishag. 

On 12/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, Stefan said:

King Solomon could not have been White. Since he lived in ancient Israel, he was the same color as others who were born and lived their lives in that region. And it's likely King Solomon had a similar complexion to modern-day Palestinians. 

Absolutely!

On 12/15/2020 at 8:09 PM, Pioneer1 said:

But in the  King James version/translation, only ONE man is speaking and ONE woman is speaking.

Yes. You know I agree here! 

• Thanks 1

Chevdove,

I hope things are better with your Father.

I will say it once more with authority, the Bible roundly IGNORES skin color. The 40-odd Bible writers preferred using geographic locations. And the King James version is no longer the go-to translation of Bible enthusiasts.

You are making the same mistake millions of others have while trying to bolster your own race. But the only races that mattered in the Bible were first, the ancient Israelites and second, only those who professed a belief in whom many refer to as Jesus, the Christ.

And it is that second fact which blows the concept that skin color matters in the Bible completely out of the water. Because the Apostle Peter declared that it didn't make any difference what a man's ethnic background was. As long as he believed in the Christ, they were good to go, according to Peter.

"At this Peter began to speak and he said: 'Now I truly understand that God is not partial, but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.' " (Acts: 10:34, 35) 

And yet, here we are, centuries later and there are billions of otherwise decent people still in a tizzy and trying to brag that skin hue matters. When Peter wrote that God is not partial, he meant the Creator does not look at rank, wealth, skin hue, where a person was born, their livelihood or their appearance. 

Which makes me wonder why anyone would accept what some White museum curators depict about the likeness of human beings who lived thousands of years ago. Those Whites were not there. Neither were you. And it rankles me why so many Blacks want to be associated with long dead Egyptian Pharoahs when we know they owned and mistreated Slaves.

What too many do is employ their own observations to boost ethnic pride. Which means nothing since God does not care what your ethnicity is. 

I will say it once more with authority, the Bible roundly IGNORES skin color.

Lol.......

Exodus 4:6

. 6And the LORD said furthermore unto him, Put now thine hand into thy bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous as snow. 7And he said, Put thine hand into thy bosom again. And he put his hand into his bosom again; and plucked it out of his bosom, and, behold, it was turned again as his other flesh.

Lamentations 5:10

Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine.

Oh, the nonsense one can glimpse on online discussion boards.

Someone claimed ancient Israelites were Black because of one Scripture in the Book of Lamentations, which was written by Jeremiah. The Prophet had survived the siege of Jerusalem, was taken captive to Babylon and then free along with the rest of the Israelites by Cyrus the Great, who was Persian. The Medes and the Persians had conquered the Babylonian kingdom. 

But let's get back to the Book of Lamentations. 

"Our forefathers who sinned are no more, but we must bear their errors. Servants now rule over us; there is no one to snatch us from their hand. We bring in our bread at the risk of our life, because of the sword of the wilderness. Our skin has become as hot as a furnace, because of the pangs of hunger." (Lamentations 5: 7-10)

Hot skin does not mean it is Black. One person is badly misreading these scriptures. Because Verse 10 is referring to the heat of famine, not skin color. This is all the result of the Israelites suffering because they had sinned and their God, Yahweh, allowed them to be conquered by the Babylonians. They had to serve the Babylonians for 70 years and then Cyrus freed them. 

People who are desperate for validation of their skin color by looking to the ancient world are the saddest people on Earth. Because there's rarely any definitive proof. And they erupt in a rage when someone points this out. 

I guess when White people get sunburned at the beach and their skin is hot to the touch, Presto! They're Black. Dosen't the Bible say this? 

image.jpeg.1a1559cf8caf4f306efba92b2faa8230.jpeg

"Saying it with AUTHOR-I-TY!!
Man, stop.....lol."

Daniel 10:6

"His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude."

2 Kings Ch. 5

"26 But Elisha said to him, “Was not my spirit with you when the man got down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to take money or to accept clothes—or olive groves and vineyards, or flocks and herds, or male and female slaves? 27 Naaman’s leprosy will cling to you and to your descendants forever.” Then Gehazi went from Elisha’s presence
and his skin was leprous—it had become as white as snow."

:rolleyes: According to this verse, him AND his descendants were cursed to be "white as snow" forever!

Oh, the nonsense one can glimpse on online discussion boards.

Man!
You're telling me......lol

Many Prophets and Bible Writers had visions (which are simply dreams and not real), but this woman believes what she is reading is actually true in the physical sense.

Daniel is having a vision because he "sees" the Ancient of Days in the 7th Chapter of Daniel. The Apostle John also had visions, unless of course, one really believes there is such a thing as a seven-headed dragon with ten horns as is mentioned in Rev. 13:1. Seen one of those, lately?

Daniel also had a vision of an immense statue at Dan. 2:44. But it's a vision, it's not real. 

Leprosy is a disease that often turns the skin White. But it is not a normal skin condition. 

Now, what else from this comedian?

Let me go back to completely ignoring this one. 

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, Stefan said:

I hope things are better with your Father.

Thank you. He's still going through it, but we are getting a lot of support. Thank you again.

You are making the same mistake millions of others have while trying to bolster your own race.

How so? How am I tryin to bolster my own race?

I already commented in that I absolutely agree that the Bible and the Creator does not view skin color as being significant. 

But to say that the Bible roundly IGNORES the intense human violence meted out on humanity based on skin color would be ridiculous.

To say that the Creator roundly IGNORES White Supremacy and Colorism as it was a major factor used against humanity would be crazy.

The Bible specifically highlighted COLORISM as the conflict that occurred with MOSES and his sister MIRIAM over Moses' choice to marry Zipporah, a Cushitic, Ethiopian woman.

The Bible soundly deals with White Supremacy & Colorism @Stefan

I again, would absolutely agree this issue means zero to the Creator, but He directly deals with it as it means everything to certain systems that have set up their system on this basis.

And the King James version is no longer the go-to translation of Bible enthusiasts.

It should still be regarded to contrast and compare the other translations. I definitely see errors in other translations.

Because the Apostle Peter declared that it didn't make any difference what a man's ethnic background was. As long as he believed in the Christ, they were good to go, according to Peter.

Oh yes! Absolutely!

Which makes me wonder why anyone would accept what some White museum curators depict about the likeness of human beings who lived thousands of years ago

Because it is HISTORY an area of study based on scientific gathering and collection of ancient depictions that can be contrasted with script and used on the scholarly world. NO, I did not get a Bachelor's of SCIENCE degree in history or Art History, but they are two very significant areas of study in major colleges all over the world. Egyptologist are very important and some of their research agrees with the Bible. @Stefan It should not matter if the museum curators are White or other, but it should matter if scholars confirm ancient historical facts.

Because of he kind of White Supremacy and Colorism that did exist, it should be vital that we today understand history as it really happened. 

And it rankles me why so many Blacks want to be associated with long dead Egyptian Pharoahs when we know they owned and mistreated Slaves.

This is true! History does reveal that the ancient Egyptian Pharaohs owned and mistreated slaves, and no matter if ancient people are associated with certain humans today or not, we need to know history and how and why these systems were allowed to form and set up slavery, etc.

But the only races that mattered in the Bible were first, the ancient Israelites and second, only those who professed a belief in whom many refer to as Jesus, the Christ.

No way. As far as 'Race' let me paraphrase what Jesus said in St. Matthew... 'Many of the children of the kingdom will be in outer darkness, weeping and gnashing at teeth...'. The Chosen 'Seed' of God, the ancient Israelites suffered under awful systems, but they too have to be proven. Yes, I would agree with you in that Jesus came to save 'the world' and John 3:16 is the scripture that backs up what you say.