Tom Wood, the First Black Person to Take Their Company Public

19 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Delano  @Delano

Don't argue with a person that can't think conceptually. Since they can't understand what you are  saying.

Can you CLEARLY define "conceptual thinking"?

There are two dictionaries that I would consult. Oxford and Merriam-Webster. Start there and let me know how you go. Otherwise I have nothing to say concerning your request.

10 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

But the VISUALS of it makes it look...

Yes that is why we need people to dig deeper, for what you and I "see" is largely driven by or biases and attitudes -- none of which has anything to do with what actually happened.  Do you see why we need trained journalists?

Again I don't even watch the videos they are posted as entertainment, seeing someone get shot is not entertaining to me.  I don't want to speculate about what happened when it comes to something as serious as this.

However I'd take an unsophisticated and raw TRUTH over a polished and well dressed LIE.

Come on man, that goes without saying.  Why would you even say something like that unless you are trying to say, like Trump, that all journalists lie?

he used Facebook, Twitter, and other forms of social media to bring attention to and galvanize support for boycotting and shutting down a gas station that was disrepecting his community.

You know successful boycotts existed long before social media was invented right?  That said, on the surface, it seems unlikely that social media was only or even the primary reason the boycott was successful.  I suspect he was physically there discouraging people from using the gas station and shared what he was doing on social Am I missing anything?

it just made it MUCH EASIER and more efficient

OK, how? 

Presumably you see calls for boycotts all the time on social media.  I called for Amazon to be boycotted.  Do you pre-emptively everything someone posts on social media?  D you boycott Amazon, R. Kelly, the NFL?    

Delano

Fonzworth Bently always looks classy. | Well dressed men, Dapper style, Gq  style

"There are two dictionaries that I would consult. Oxford and Merriam-Webster.
Start there and let me know how you go. Otherwise I have nothing to say concerning your request."

:rolleyes: Well....

It appears that this is YOUR WAY of admitting you can't answer the question, so I'll move on........

Troy

Yes that is why we need people to dig deeper, for what you and I "see" is largely driven by or biases and attitudes -- none of which has anything to do with what actually happened.  Do you see why we need trained journalists?

I can see why YOU need trained journalists...lol.
You obviously don't trust yourself to believe what you can clearly see and need to have it "explained" to you.  I find that this is not the case for me MOST of the time.  I trust my observation skills and reasoning.

Come on man, that goes without saying.  Why would you even say something like that unless you are trying to say, like Trump, that all journalists lie?

I don't believe all journalists lie but I believe most people have NARRATIVES and AGENDAS that they push depending on their perspectives and who's paying them.  That's why you have certain publications KNOWN to be Conservative and others KNOWN to be left-leaning.

How can you trust the stories will be given to you fairly from institutions well known and established for their social and political leanings?

You know successful boycotts existed long before social media was invented right?  That said, on the surface, it seems unlikely that social media was only or even the primary reason the boycott was successful.  I suspect he was physically there discouraging people from using the gas station and shared what he was doing on social Am I missing anything?

You're missing my point......
It's not about whether or not social media is responsible for his success, it's the role social media played in making it EASIER and MORE EFFICIENT for him to reach the masses.

This equates to him having to put in less work and expend less energy..which is usually a good thing.

OK, how? 

By the same principle Don Lemon of CNN doesn't have to personally knock on the doors of 53 million Americans to sit down in their living rooms and tell them the news face to face.  All he has to do is broadcast it from the wide reaching platform called CNN and one show will reach tens of millions.  Social media operates on that same principle of mass communication.

image.jpeg.5b3751ab6583cc85fac8f5556ede0028.jpeg

"Ladies and gentlemen, if there's ANY man 
who is such a turn-off he could actually make

me STRAIGHT.....I just found him."

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I trust my observation skills and reasoning.

I do too but not in the face of people more informed on a subject.

If I trusted my own observations I wouldn't know anything about climate change, I would still believe in multiple races of people, or have any idea how vast the universe is.

I don't believe all journalists lie but I believe most people have NARRATIVES and AGENDAS that they push

Well these would not be very good journalists. If you are a descending reader you can pick this up, which is why some publications are better than others.

I find foreign media like the Guardian, Al jazeera, BBC's to be superior to American Media.

This equates to him having to put in less work and expend less energy..which is usually a good thing.

I'm not missing your point because you've failed make one. How exactly did the social media save energy? What task did social perform?

By the same principle Don Lemon of CNN

Soooo, You are equating the reach of some unknown dude on Twitter (is that the platform right?) with that of Don Lemon on CNN?!

Come on try to be serious.

Again, @Pioneer1 what are personally boycotting as a result of something you've read online?

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

:rolleyes: Well....

It appears that this is YOUR WAY of admitting you can't answer the question, so I'll move on........

Well done. It is neither my job nor my responsibility to reduce your ignorance.
You have helped me answer a question I had today. How to respond to people, who assume they are in the right and I that am mistaken or some how misguided. Unlike Troy I no longer want to make an effort to communicate ideas with concrete thinkers, it is too hard.

Delano

Well done. It is neither my job nor my responsibility to reduce your ignorance.

You have helped me answer a question I had today. How to respond to people, who assume they are in the right and I that am mistaken or some how misguided. Unlike Troy I no longer want to make an effort to communicate ideas with concrete thinkers, it is too hard.

Lol.....

You can't even post a LINK in this forum properly....but you want to accuse others of being ignorant?

You didn't answer my question because you COULDN'T answer it...and you knew it.  Accusing me of being "ignorant" is just your excuse to deflect and duck out of the challenge.

Scared Young man. A petrified young man sitting in the corner on the floor  of a , #spon, #man, #petrified, #Scared, #Young, #young #a… | Young man, Man,  Man sitting

"I know Kung Fu and Akido
but I don't want to waste my
time on you so I'm hiding my
true stength." 

Troy

I do too but not in the face of people more informed on a subject.

Journalism is about reporting on recent events...which tend to change from day to day. Generally they are no more informed on those events than the viewers they're reaching (often times not AS informed).  Their only job should be to REPORT THE FACTS and not delve deeper into opinion and speculation behind those facts.

Show me or tell me what happened and leave it at that.
I don't need to hear a back-story or a long a list of inappropriate ADJECTIVES mixed in with it.

I find foreign media like the Guardian, Al jazeera, BBC's to be superior to American Media.

If they are it's not because of their superior writing skills but because they offer the public more FACTS that pertain to the event and less opinion and fluff.

I'm not missing your point because you've failed make one. How exactly did the social media save energy? 

If you fail to see how putting out a tweet to be viewed by 20 million is more efficient and saves a person a lot more energy than going outside in the cold and personally looking for 20 million people to talk to...I'm not sure what else to tell you, lol.

You are equating the reach of some unknown dude on Twitter (is that the platform right?) with that of Don Lemon on CNN?!

I'm equating the same PRINCIPLE of mass communication.

In this instance I'm not talking about professionalism, journalism, or even accuracy of the facts....I'm talking about MASS COMMUNICATION and the ability of social media to reach MILLIONS of people with a particular message (good or bad).

Troy

Then at least show me how you know that the tweet was viewed by 20 million people. 

I can't show you....because I don't know it.

Your question focuses on specific data.
My point focuses on the PRINCIPLE (of mass communications).

Whether he reached 20 million or 20 thousand...he reached ENOUGH through social media to be effective!

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I can't show you....because I don't know it.

Then why did you even write the statement?!

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Whether he reached 20 million or 20 thousand...he reached ENOUGH through social media to be effective!

OK, it is painfully obvious that you can not explain how this guy used social media to successfully boycott a store.  You don't know even know what this guy's reach is.  This could have been all be made up as far I can tell.   Can you at least share a tweet, or Facebook post, the guy made so that I can see the engagement.

Even though engagement does not prove action in the real world it would at least give some indication social media could have had an impact.  

You heard this story on some YouTube video; it conformed to your belief system, you blindly accepted it, and then shared it as if it is gospel.  That might work for you, but I need a some evidence.  Your 3rd hand, unsubstantiated, stories are not enough. 

Again, this is why we need GOOD JOURNALISM!

Del

Every Soul is worth saving, but not every soul is worth buying. I can't recall who said this.

I don't either.
But if YOU'RE quoting it...I'm pretty sure it was from some White man with glasses, LOL

What modern philosophers are worthy of attention? - Quora

"Does not knowing the size of the
Universe invalidate it's existence?

Does not having an erection since
highschool  invalidate the need for
a penis?

Questions worth discussing......"

Troy

Then why did you even write the statement?!

To make a point.

OK, it is painfully obvious that you can not explain how this guy used social media to successfully boycott a store.  You don't know even know what this guy's reach is.  This could have been all be made up as far I can tell.   Can you at least share a tweet, or Facebook post, the guy made so that I can see the engagement.

Your asking me questions about his methods and how many followers he has and I'm telling you that it doesn't matter because whatever the answers are....IT WORKED.

You can't see the forest because you're focused on a couple trees and a woodpecker flying back and forth between the two.

Who cares how many people he reached....he reached ENOUGH.

The man used social media to HELP him reach a critical mass of supporters for his mission to shut down a racist gas station.

Now could he have done it WITHOUT social media?
Probably.
But it would probably have been much harder because he would have had to find another way to reach a large audience without those platforms which also would have taken him much longer.

As far as him making him up, I highly doubt that....but if he did I could replace HIS example with 15 dozen others of people who have successfully used social media to reach massive amounts of people.

Again, this is why we need GOOD JOURNALISM!

YOU need good journalism.
I  need FACTS, and when I get them I can make up my own mind and come to my own conclusions.

@Troy  Go Engineers!  We are definitely the talented tenth!   Woo-hoo!  Stuyvesant accepted me too.  Bronx High School of Science was the highest level of public education available at the time. I didn't test high enough to get in there.   Not that it mattered. Mom said,  "We live in Brooklyn, you'll go to high school in Brooklyn!"   

My zoned high school was Wingate/Tilden but since I tested into Tech/Stuyvesant from the 8th grade. I'll never know.   

@Pioneer1 yes,  I graduated with a B average after majoring in Electrical Engineering  with a side order of  English Honors, Calculus and Physics, Chemistry and Biology.  Yes, I'm smart.  Probably why I don't "suffer fools gladly."  🙄