Nu Shooz 2

As soon as I got busted for the robbery, I immediately went to work piecing together an alibi since I knew that I had not robbed the place, but let me give you the back story. After getting out of the feds for bank robbery, I got a gig at a Pizza Hut where the wife of my co-defendant on the bank robberies work. I was cool with working and I worked every day, and since I was trying to stack up a lil paper, I worked any time anyone wanted to take a day off. I eagerly filled in. I was still in the federal Halfway House and though I could come and go pretty much as I pleased, I had a 10:00 curfew.

During the spring, a white regional manager from VA came down to Charlotte and he freaked out when he discovered that virtually all the store managers were black. Since this was not to his liking ,he instantly went about firing them, but since I was fresh out of the joint, and had a passing knowledge of the law from fighting my case while confined, I went into action to protect my manager and I kick-started a discrimination complaint against Pizza Hut. As imagined, they insisted that I cease and desist. Quite naturally, I refused and in the ensuing struggle, I was terminated. I expected that move so I had already wired my parole officer of what was happening so losing my job, which can be a cause to get your parole revoked, I was good.

But PH was playing a harder game than that. Pizza Huts were getting knocked off on a regular basis as was a lot of other fast food joints. In any event, less than a week after being terminated, I was arrested and charged with the robbery of 6 Pizza Huts.  Splashed me across the newspaper as the Pizza Hut Bandit. Everyone knew the charges were trumped up, and being too broke to afford a lawyer, I was stuck in the slammer for a couple of months. I go to court and all the PH cases were dismissed. So, now the police into their feelings. Now, that I was through with the BS from PH, I now had to contend with the police who were still mad at me for the shootout I had gotten into with them as I came out of a bank. In Court for that, the feds stepped in and by charging me federally, the shooting case was superseded and I was never tried for it. This angered the police who declared that they would get me some day, some way. Damn, they don't forget. I was like, man, that shit was ten years ago. Let's let bygones be bygones, but the cops were not having it.

The police get a hold put on me while they charge me in other robberies, so before I could get released, I get slapped with three more robberies. Two were instantly dismissed. They happened around midnight, and I was locked into the Halfway House so that handled that, but this last case was the one that got me.  This was the May 18th case where I had all the evidence to free me, but it didn't go as planned.

I had a court-appointed lawyer, but even if I would have had the money, I would have kept it. Any lawyer should have been able to whup this case. And why not. It was a slam-dunk for me. I gave the lawyer the names of all the people who had seen me in the Government Plaza. He knew about the girlfriend at the crib who could verify the phone call. She also knew where I was going and why. I told him to locate the cabbie who would remember me due to the silver dollars I had given him. Plus, I had on a real fly sweatsuit that he commented on. They were only two in the entire city and I had both of them. Had bought them right out of the showroom window. What happened next started me to question my attorney.

He came to visit and told me that the cabbie had mysteriously disappeared and that his cab had been found abandoned on a side street. The lawyer asked me to be quiet about the taxi driver since I was the last one to have seen him and I would become a suspect in his disappearance. I watched the news, read the newspaper, but nothing about a missing cabbie. Knowing how vital, this cabbie was, I called the cab company from my cell and I posed as a detective. I found that anytime a call is made for a taxi, the time of the call is noted, the name and number of the cab and driver listed, and when the cabbie drops off his fare, the time is also noted. At day's end, all this sealed into dispatcher's log, and locked into a safe. Now, I was back on point because with this info, I can prove exactly when I called, when the driver arrived and the time he dropped me as well as where his location. I couldn't lose. I also had my partner who had a Traffic Court receipt. Again, this was a slam-dunk for me.

Okay, trial day. I go to Court and I'm looking around for the troops, my witnesses. None are there. I questioned the lawyer and he hadn't contacted any of them! He said he HAD A BETTER STRATEGY. His strategy was this. The name on the Indictment did not match the name of the business that was actually robbed. Turned out, the name on the Indictment, though different, was the name of the parent company, and they still were affected by the robbery despite their actual [place was not robbed. Anyway, the Judge laughed at that BS and now with no witnesses, I'm in big trouble. I tried to get the trial postponed so I could get my witnesses, but the Judge wouldn't let it go down like that. Trial was to start that day. What was I too do?

My partner popped up in court just to support me and I put him on the stand. With him and the black lawyer whose office I was in, I still could pull a rabbit out of the hat. The DA demolished my partner who was an ex-con, unemployed, an ex-junkie. He did have that receipt from Traffic Court. That damn DA was sharp. My partner was a talker, I mean, he could talk. This is no lie. Me and him drove from NC to NY and he talked nonstop the whole time. You have to recall that we hadn't seen each other in ten years so he was giving me the rundown so when the roll was called, he didn't stop talking long enough to answer. I hipped him that his name had been called and he said it was nothing; that he would just pay the ticket and that is what he did. He had a receipt but because he didn't answer, he was listed as absence at the 9;00 roll call. The DA jumped on that. Now I couldn't prove that he was there at nine. They had a second session at one oclock so the DA made it a point to insist that he could have paid that ticket at one rather than at nine. Okay.....

Another thang the DA hit on was a killer for me. He said that even if my friend had paid the ticket at nine o'clock, that DID NOT mean I was with him. Another dagger in my heart was how the DA handled my partner. He played on how close we were and when He asked my friend if he liked prison and my partner said NO, he dropped the bomb on him. He said that since my partner hated prison that he would lie to keep me from going. You could hear a pin drop and that was one of the nails in my coffin. Still had the lawyer, remember

Got this Negro in court and he tells the court that he doesn't remember me. He did admit that someone had visited him during the spring to discuss my girlfriend, his client. Man, to start with, "sometimes during the spring" was too vague, but I could narrow it down, in fact could pinpoint the exact date and time I was there via his appointment log. What happened traumatized me. When he presented his books,  EVERY DAY WAS THERE EXCEPT MAY 18TH! Now I could not even prove I was even at the lawyer's office.

Stlll had hope. The bitch had said that the robber was 5 feet 9, weighed over 200 pounds, and had a beard. I was 6'2, weighed 155 pounds and could not grow hair on my face. The jury heard that and saw me every day so they knew the description didn't match and when I pointed out the differences, the DA told the jury that the reason I looked so different is because I WAS AMASTER OF DISGUISE! the stupid jury went for it. Off to the joint, I went with 24 years.

Okay, when I get to the Big House, both my brothers are there. (One is now out after serving 33 straight years. The other died two years ago after doing 40 years inside). I get to work on my case. Got some new info about the cab and when I tried to get the data, dig this,.......the cab company mysteriously burned down and all recodes were destroyed! No joke, this case was crazy. But I was not done yet. With me and my brothers working the chain-gang grapevine which is better than CNN, the word went out about what had happened to me. Shortly thereafter, word comes to me that someone knows who actually committed the robbery I was charged with. I get a lawyer and asked for a new trial. I get a  rehearing. I thought I was going home. Two years had passed. The guy had actually did the robbery, confessed to it, but since he had pleaded guilty and all the robberies he had were consolidated as one and due to the law, I couldn't present the info to the court. Wow...this guy admitted to robbing the place I was charged with and I could not address it so what happened is that two people were doing time for the same crime. I was the innocent one and I got more time "for not robbing the place" than he got for robbing it. Ain't that a bitch

• Like 1

Gibran

Plus, I had on a real fly sweatsuit that he commented on. They were only two in the entire city and I had both of them. Had bought them right out of the showroom window.

Lol...nigga is you CRAZY????

Something ain't right with you man, LMBAO!!!!

If this was 1983 it could have only been Adidas or Fila....lol.

The DA demolished my partner who was an ex-con, unemployed, an ex-junkie. He did have that receipt from Traffic Court.

I was thinking about that from the other thread.
He may not be a good "character witness" but he would be good to corroborate your story.

But this is one of the reasons you should always keep your receipts from things like banks, courts, ect...for atleast ONE YEAR.
You never know when they may come in handy!

The guy had actually did the robbery, confessed to it, but since he had pleaded guilty and all the robberies he had were consolidated as one and due to the law, I couldn't present the info to the court. Wow...this guy admitted to robbing the place I was charged with and I could not address it so what happened is that two people were doing time for the same crime. I was the innocent one and I got more time "for not robbing the place" than he got for robbing it. Ain't that a bitch

((long silence.......shakes head))

So brother....you ended up doing another 8 years on the bid?

All one can say is...glad you're out with us today bro.

• Like 1