Twitter Bans 45's Twitter Account -- So What!

Yesterday Twitter announced they are permanently banning President Trump's Twitter account. After a "close review," Twitter concluded that 45 violated their, "Glorification of Violence policy."

Twitter is full of shit.

I don't even follow 45 on Twitter, but the stuff I've seen him Tweet over the years has been just as inflammatory.  Twitter more than any other social media platform is responsible for the rise of 45, as they provided the platform to amplify his lies and rhetoric.  Just how much more money did Twitter make as a direct result of being 45's megaphone?  Billions I'm sure.  In order to maximize revenue Twitter has taken hands off approach to 45's rhetoric. Maybe Twitter and Trump were working together all along. 

Twitter's ban of 45's account is too little too late.  The damage has been done.  Twitter does not have to take responsibility or suffer any consequences.  Their management has grown quite wealthy and we are left to suffer the consequences and pay the price.

I have more respect for Donald Trump, than I do for Twitter...

Sadly, Black people use Twitter a lot and we are overrepresented on the platform as users.  I remember thinking #blacktwitter was a new Black-owned social media platform until I learned it was just Black people on Twitter. How well has Twitter served us? I sure Black people would be better off without it.  Maybe use the time to read a book...

A couple points:

1. A lot of people are saying this is a violation of his 1st Amendment rights and freedom of speech, but the fact is the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to social media.  It's a private platform and they have the right to suspend or ban anyone, anytime, for any reason.

That being said......

2. This is a slippery slope.
Did he actually CALL for violence or did he just use inflammatory language over the years that incited certain vulnerable people?
The rules must be CLEAR and applied evenly because if you start banning people simply because of their effect on people instead of whether or not they clearly violated stablished rules....pretty soon that'll be a justification for tyranny.

@Pioneer1 to your points who know how lightly I moderate this forum right.  I allow people to say anything they want.  What happens to people who say dumb shit like "Black people are immune to covid-19?"  Someone corrects them.  They are not allowed to say utter nonsense without being challenged.  These people always leave on their own and often remove all of their posts on the way out.

Twitter's platform does not allow this. 

On Twitter someone can say Black people are immune to Covid-19 and they would be supported by countless algorithmically driven bot's that amplify and share the message to those most susceptible to believing it while other bots rejects people that would reply with the truth.

An estimated two-thirds of tweeted links to popular websites are posted by automated accounts – not human beings.  

Do you think the way AALBC forums, for example, are moderated protects free speech?  Just know that how we operate here is impossible on Twitter and that is the problem. 

I wish Twitter would just die already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Troy

Just know that how we operate here is impossible in Twitter and that is the problem. 

Your message board is governed differently from Twitter because you have a different MOTIVE than Twitter and other social media platforms.

You created this forum with the intention of giving authors and those interested in their work to discuss and critique that work...Twitter and other forms of social media (like the new app Clubhouse) was designed to MANIPULATE THOUGHT.

Whether you're talking about Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Clubhouse, ect....they all go in the same direction:

1. First they let you say WHATEVER you want to say and seemingly don't notice or care.

2. That gets you addicted and you end up enjoying the freedom, making friends, and letting your guard down.

3. A few years (or months now) after you're hooked they SLOWLY start taking more and more of your priviledges away and use algorithms to steer you into certain directions and penalize you if you don't go.

Do you think the way AALBC forums, for example, are moderated protects free speech? 

Let me answer that question by first saying we DON'T HAVE free speech anywhere in this society.
No matter where you are in this society there are consequences for uttering certain statements.

People often wonder why I choose not to post my pictures or talk about my true identity as if you and the other posters are the ONLY ones monitoring this site...lol.
Do you know how many racist Caucasians lurk and monitor AfroAmerican sites looking for victims?

But more directly to your question......

Like you said and I've noticed you moderate this forum pretty lightly and honestly it's ONE of the reasons that has kept me here so long. 

But counter-intuitively......
I believe your pretty much hands-off moderating style is one of the reason many people may NOT be attracted to the site!

It's hard to believe this but many people PREFER a place where things are heavily moderated so that they can point the finger, complain, and get people banned and blocked if others say something they disagree with.  I don't know how much work you do on Youtube but the chat-rooms on Youtube videos are NOTORIOUS for "moderators" not knowing how to properly moderate and not respecting people's priviledge to express their opinions.  You basically have to join a GANG in most Youtube communities to be protected from overly aggressive moderators...or give money in the super-chat so that the Youtuber protects you...lol.

This counter-intuitive desire for TYRANY and HEAVY HANDED MODERATION is one of the reasons Twitter and other forms of social media are so popular.

People don't like for THEIR "freedom" of speech to be curtailed but they usually LOVE doing it to OTHERS...and social media allows this.

56 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Let me answer that question by first saying we DON'T HAVE free speech anywhere in this society.

My friend you are mistaken here.  One of the last remaining truths about the WWW, as it exists here in America, is that WE DO have freedom is speech here. The vast majority of us simply allow some corporation run by young white boys to be the platform where we express ourselves 

Consider the fact that I can say, and have said anything, that I want here without worrying about being banded or losing a job.  If anyone does not like what I say they can do so without fear of being banned for disagreeing with me.  I have been corrected here several times -- in fact I welcome it.

Most people sane people self-moderate very well.

Here is an example of a guest post I approved earlier today:

I could have easily not approved this stupid comment, but I let it go, perhaps "ultimate Blackpill" will come back and elaborate.

An example, of a guest post I did not approve.  Some author posted information about there book. They  came back a few days later and posted, as a guest posters under a different name, saying that they read the book and enjoyed it.  I rejected the 2nd post because it came from the same IP address as the first, and was an obvious attempt to mislead the reader.  I had half a mind to delete the original post.

Both posts are lies, but do you see why I approved one but not the other?

The first thing Twitter needs to do is get rid of bot traffic.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

People don't like for THEIR "freedom" of speech to be curtailed but they usually LOVE doing it to OTHERS...and social media allows this.

Actually this forum does allow one to block the posts of another user from being seen.  I think this defeats the purpose of being in these forums and worsens the experience but it can be done.

Troy

Both posts are lies, but do you see why I approved one but not the other?

Yeah...
You hate scammers and spammers more than you hate racists, lol.

It appears that you may be confusing FREEDOM with LIBERTY.
There's a significant difference.

Freedom means NO RULES and NO CONSEQUENCES.

I don't know of any society (this or anywhere else) where you can say what you feel without any consequences.

Does your freedom of speech allow you to threaten public officials?

Actually this forum does allow one to block the posts of another user from being seen.  I think this defeats the purpose of being in these forums and worsens the experience but it can be done.

A lot of platforms carry this feature.
I don't find it very appealing, I want to KNOW what my adversary thinks and is saying about me...lol.

Nothing anyone has written so far has irritated me to the point that I'd rather just not see their posts or acknowledge their existence.

That sounds like a feature a FEMALE would really enjoy...lol.
They love "ignoring" people.

When I was in my early 20s there was this very attractive woman from Nicaragua I used to work with and every time we got into an argument about something after while she would just turn her back to me and fold her arms.

MADE ME ANGRY!!!!

Man I couldn't believe how angry it made me!

And she KNEW it....lol.

Come to find out as I got older it made MOST men angry for women to do that to them...which is why she did it.  I've seen her and other women do it to men and smile or giggle with their backs turned KNOWING how frustrating that shit is.....lol.  I've been involved with a few women who would do that, although I find the women who do it the most seem to come either from Latin America or the Middle East.

As angry as it made me, there was also something attractive and "feminine" about it because I never saw men do that in an argument.

I was talking about freedom of speech. What is liberty of speech?

Yes when a racist tells you they are racist, I respect that more than someone being deliberately dishonest. 

Sometimes it is hard tell the difference between dishonest person, a troll, and someone who is dumb.

Troy

Liberty is a state of being LIGHTLY restricted.
Usually only basic laws or rules to protect the safety and privacy of the general public.

What most Caucasians have enjoyed in the United States right up until recently was LIBERTY (not freedom) and they're angry because that liberty is in jeopardy.

Sometimes it is hard tell the difference between dishonest person, a troll, and someone who is dumb.

That's because sometimes they're all rolled into one...lol