Opinions on OwnVoice Movement?

I've noticed a recent pattern in colleges: increasing numbers of non-Black professors as experts in Black studies (African, Diaspora, American).  And I personally question my feelings about it.  In some ways, I find myself suspect of institutions that may feel more progressive for what could be described as "color-blind" selections.  

I've voiced similar concerns over book and media publishing. Awards, opportunities, and acknowledgement have often, in my observation, gone to white makers of Black culture (your favorite white rapper and such) or Black makers established with a white publisher.

So, my question: How important is the idea of "own voice" representation? I oscillate on the issue myself.  Should I be happy someone is teaching Black studies?  Or is it reasonable that I suspect a non-Black candidate may have some advantages over a qualified Black instructor?  Should I be happy to see diverse representation even if presented by less-diverse makers? Or should I voice my suspicion that a Black maker seems to have to pass white gatekeepers for the opportunity?  

None of the above is a firm assertion of opinion. I am curious about your thoughts here on this forum.

Great questions, let me go in on them.............

Jeffrey

I've noticed a recent pattern in colleges: increasing numbers of non-Black professors as experts in Black studies (African, Diaspora, American).  And I personally question my feelings about it.  In some ways, I find myself suspect of institutions that may feel more progressive for what could be described as "color-blind" selections.  

My feelings aren't very mixed on the issue....lol....I simply DON'T LIKE it.

But I understand some of the reasons behind it.
 I've said for years that there's been a deliberate "dumbing down" of the AfroAmerican community over the past 4 or 5 decades to the point that many of our institutions are suffering from INTELLECTUAL DECLINE.

If nature hates a vacuum and there aren't enough smart and qualified AfroAmerican professors to teach our culture then professors of other races will take advantage of that opportunity and step in to fill the void bringing their own nefarious agendas with them.

gone to white makers of Black culture (your favorite white rapper and such) or Black makers established with a white publisher.

Another good point.
As  much as I don't like Eminem...he's a good rapper.

If AfroAmerican youth aren't developing their MC skills and coming up with great lyrics and deliveries like the greats in the past (Rakim, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, Keith Murray, ect...) did, then it's hard to get mad at a White boy who saw the opportunity to step up and deliver.

Another result of the "dumbing down" process.

A lot of our youth are simply too stupid from excessive weed smoking and poor public eduction...to come up with powerful lyrics.

So, my question: How important is the idea of "own voice" representation? 

Very.
Because if you aren't good at representing your own culture it says a lot about your intellect as well  self-esteem and nobility.

I oscillate on the issue myself.  Should I be happy someone is teaching Black studies?

To a point.
But understand that if Caucasians are stepping in and assuming the position of teacher/professor to teach Black studies....and we know that traditionally Caucasians have been the enemy of African people....then you should be very suspicious of why they would want to take up that responsiblity.  

Common sense demands that you PRESUME...based on historical precedent...that there is some sort of nefarious ulterior motive behind their interests.

.....such as an agenda to FURTHER TARNISH the image of African peoples.

Being a professor who has the minds of young and vulnerable AfroAmericans who trust him/her to teach them the truth is a GREAT position to be in if one wants to futher  brainwash and distort the image of AfroAmerican history.

Next thing you know they'll be some of our historical greats, "LGBT" with very little or no evidence at all.

Or is it reasonable that I suspect a non-Black candidate may have some advantages over a qualified Black instructor?  

That's VERY reasonable....because in many cases they do.

The fact that they are NOT BLACK and can pretend to be interested in Black studies will make them very attractive to some unsuspecting AfroAmericans who strongly desire a "friend" or non-Black "ally" who understands and empathizes with their plight.

Should I be happy to see diverse representation even if presented by less-diverse makers? 

Idealistically....yes.
I'm usually flattered when non-AfroAmericans show interest in AfroAmerican culture.
But I always have my antenna up also.

Or should I voice my suspicion that a Black maker seems to have to pass white gatekeepers for the opportunity?  

Don't understand this question....specifically about a "Black Maker"....so I'll await your response to what me and others (if there are any others...lol) have said and perhaps you'll also clarify the question.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Or should I voice my suspicion that a Black maker seems to have to pass white gatekeepers for the opportunity?  

Don't understand this question....specifically about a "Black Maker"....so I'll await your response to what me and others (if there are any others...lol) have said and perhaps you'll also clarify the question.

Thank you for sharing your detailed thought process! 

I'll clarify that last question with a personal statement: It seems to me that creators of Black cultural product (music, art, education, literature, etc.) must first get the approval and qualifications from a white person (a "gatekeeper")  to do so.  And we seem to dismiss the issue by saying one's not allowed beyond the gate was just not good enough.  This is only my suspicion. Should I simply accept my feelings may be wrong?

Jeffrey

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm gonna suggest another way of looking at it and include an answer within that suggestion............

It seems to me that creators of Black cultural product (music, art, education, literature, etc.) must first get the approval and qualifications from a white person (a "gatekeeper")  to do so.  

It may seem like a petty thing to point out, however I would say that Black creators don't need approval and accreditation of a Caucasian to actually create.  Our people will do that automatically because it's in our nature.

*We need their approval and accreditation to DISPLAY our creations on THEIR PLATFORM (there television shows, social media, media outlets, ect...)

And here in lays most of the problem.

Too often our people think CAUCASIAN platforms are the only platforms, and spend too much effort and energy seeking Caucasian approval to be accepted on THEIR platforms instead of using our creativity to establish OUR OWN platforms where Cauasian approval and qualifications would be irrelevant if not non-existent.

I could care less what YOUR rules are for renting a room in YOUR apartment...when I'm living in a 57 room mansion.
They would be totally irrelevant to me.

As far as whether your feelings of suspicion is wrong......

You may be surprised to learn that just as money only has the value we GIVE IT -the value of Caucasian platforms (television shows, radio, internet channels, ect...) are the same way!

The REAL  reason they put up rules and stipulations and force many of our people to seek their approval and accept SOME while dismissing OTHERS on their platforms (television shows, radio, youtube channels, instagram, ect...) is simply to RAISE IT'S VALUE by making it seem exclusive and make people fight extra hard to participate on them.

Think about that for a minute or two.

The fact is, most Caucasian institutions whether they are Universities, social media, television shows, ect...actually STRONGLY DESIRE Black participation and creativity.  They don't want us away, they want us IN them for the most part and if  we stopped patronizing them they'd BEG us to start participating again and even offer us money to do so.  Don't believe me, look at sports and entertainment industries and how they pay our people MILLIONS to exploit their creativity!

What they DON'T want is for us to form OUR OWN platforms where they'd be powerless and we'd have complete control over the content and it's distribution.
Complete control over the display and presentation of our creativity.

For example.....

Imagine us having OUR OWN totally independent universities (not needing any money or licensing from Caucasians or the government) where we're teaching WHATEVER we want to teach and they couldn't shut it down.

In a manner of MONTHS they'd lower all of the standards of THEIR BEST universities like Harvard and Yale and make enrollment absolutely to them FREE in order to pull our students back in them for participation because their value would be almost gone. 

• Like 1