Judas and the Black Messiah

I haven't seen this movie yet, just the trailer that Del provided.
However there are 2 concerns I have based on the trailer........

1. If the focus of the movie is less on Caucasian racism and more or the traitorous behavior of the "Judas" character, this may exacerbate the paranoia that already exist in many conscious AfroAmerican circles.

2. If there are a lot of focus on radical Caucasian organizations like the Weather Underground, it may trick a lot of our people into believing they can truly maintain a large group of "White Allies" to come to their rescue instead of solving their own problems. 

I guess you'll need to watch the film, before you can formulate a valid conspiracy theory.

Among other things it was a love story, a love story between a man and a woman, between a man and his community, and someone, who only loved himself, helped destroy it all.

If you go into any form of art with a wide variety of preconceived notions you'll fail to really appreciate it. That is not to say that we don't all have biases we do. But when you are already working so hard to figure out what something is trying to be before you even see it you are already setting up walls that will prevent you from truly "seeing" the film.

I hope you smoke a blunt, relax and enjoy the film. The young people who put it together did a fantastic job.

Troy

Man, it's gonna be a GOOD while before sit in a movie theater again.

I don't care how much they claim the cases are going down or up, I've been doing pretty good so far (Thanks to The SUPREME BEING) and I'm gonna continue doing what I'm doing in that regard.

Maybe I'll catch it on cable or on the internet.

I don't smoke dope, btw....lol.

Troy

I grew up in Michigan and people of various ages there called marijuana "dope".
It wasn't the only name or most common name for it, but it was called that from time to time...especially before the mid-90s.

Apparently some young people STILL call weed "dope"; check out this video:

That site in the link you provided requires registration; something I'm usually hesitant to do.

Been hearing a lot of good reviews about the movie, I'll get to see it sometime in the future...no rush.

Dude, just use a throw-away email address like everyone else.

Well, no one I ever spoke to, past or present, refers to herb as dope.  Dope as in "dopehead" or "dope fiend" (are you familiar with these term) was restricted to people who were on narcotics not weed.

Would you refer to a frequent user of marijuana as a dope fiend? 

I listened to the first minute or so of the video couple; do you know what he is smoking? As far as I can tell he doesn’t say. But what he does say is that he hope he doesn’t overdose. You can’t OD on marijuana.

I suspect if you really listen to the lyrics you might come away with the idea that the young man may be lamenting getting high, on more serious drugs, by himself, as a means to deal with this life.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, Troy said:

I saw this film at a drive-in theater a couple weeks ago. The guy who played Fred Hampton deserves an academy award nomination.

He's excellent. Daniel Kaluuya will win the Oscar for this role. He played the lead in "Get Out". 

• 9 months later...

Judas & the  Black Messiah was a very well done movie.

Daniel Kaluuya is on his way to being a great actor.

Lakeith Stanfield isn't shabby on the big screen either. He was great in both Come Sunday and The Harder they Fall

Mahershala Ali is another great actor on the rise. He crushed it in The Green Book. His most recent movie The Swan Song is excellent too. 

I'm always glad to see black actors being cast in roles that showcase their acting range.😎