Santa Claus DOES Exist (a philosophical exercise)

Whatever you can think of can be said to exist even if it's only in your mind.

So for some children and even some adults Santa Claus existed.

However it is not a fact it is an opinion. Since facts are subject to falsification, whereas opinions are not. Due to them not being factual even if they are based on facts.

There's a difference between a theory a theorem and a hypothesis. Although I could be mistaken.

Delano

I figured you'd probably get it early.

I actually started this threat to make a point to Troy but YOU are helping to make it for me with the opening lines of your response.

I agree with the first part of your statement but after the "however" I began to distance myself from it a little.

For example, you said:

However it is not a fact it is an opinion. 

I'm of the position (and I thought YOU were as well, based on your initial statement) that even if something just exists in YOUR MIND ALONE....it still can be said to EXIST.

If it DOES exist...then it's a FACT (not a mere opinion) that it exists.

We can argue over the STATE of that existence, but there should be no argument over whether or not it actually exists.

If Santa Claus exists as a mythological character...he still exists none the less.

Since facts are subject to falsification, whereas opinions are not. 

That's correct that facts are subject to falsification.
However we keep in mind that it's not the fact ITSELF that should be considered false but it's REPLACEMENT.

But as to opinions NOT being subject to falsification....are you sure about that?

When I was a preteen. I used to do logic puzzles.

The structure is as follows. You make a statement, then your assumptions. Then your conclusion. So if you follow the assumptions to heir logical conclusion your statement is logically true but it maybe false overall.

Men are taller than women. Serena is taller than me so she must be a man. Logically that statement is true. And it is verifiable, but it is also false.

So in arguments if the assumptions are not always true or the reasoning is faulty, the conclusion will be wrong.

I personally don't feel there are facts that you are easily verifiable, however that argument is about he scientific method which I am not prepared to either argue or discuss.

Troy

?????
You posted BEFORE Delano and myself?
I wonder why I didn't see your comment earlier.

OK I’ll bite; there is no jolly fat bearded  white guy who maintains a naughty and nice list and flys around faster that the speed of light with reindeer distributing toys made by elves in the North Pole.

You're denying a statement that was never made...by me in this thread.

I said Santa Claus exists.
I didn't say a man of THAT description exists.

The question remains, do YOU...Troy....dispute the FACT that Santa Claus exists?

And if so, on what grounds?

Del

When I was a preteen. I used to do logic puzzles.

When I was a preteen I used to do something else...lol.

The structure is as follows. You make a statement, then your assumptions. Then your conclusion. So if you follow the assumptions to heir logical conclusion your statement is logically true but it maybe false overall.

I understand the point you're making but I don't think it's accurate enough.

The way you outlined it was:

STATEMENT -> ASSUMPTIONS -> CONCLUSION

And LOGIC was the thread that ran through them to keep them aligned with eachother.

Perhaps a more accurate way of making your point would be to say that the LOGIC (not "statement") can be CORRECT (not "true") even if the original statement was false.

Similar to your "Men are taller" analogy.....
I can make a false STATEMENT that humans have only 3 fingers on each hand.  A man lost one of his fingers.  The logical conclusion is that he only has 2 fingers left on one of his hands.

Again, the statement was false, but the logic was CORRECT (not "true").

Look up the definition of logic.

In order to properly discuss something you have to agree on terms and definitions. You don't really have to agree but if you define your terms your assumptions, then state your conclusion. Then we can discuss whether your reasoning is logical.

Delano

I hear what you're saying, however to keep it simple-
I need you to clarify a statement for me:

You said:

Posted 16 hours ago

Does this mean that you agree that Santa Claus DOES exist in the minds of some adults and children?

Delano

I have discussions to exchange ideas.I am not trying to convince or convert

How can you have a discussion with anyone when you refuse to answer simple questions they ask you?

I asked you a simple question and you gave me a statement about convincing and conversion totally UNRELATED to the question I ask, lol.

I asked you do you AGREE that Santa Claus exists in the minds of some adults and children?
It's a relatively simple question.

Troy

First.....will you please answer the question.

Do you DISPUTE the existence of Santa Clause?    

YES    -   NO  -   YOU DON'T KNOW

After you answer, then I will proceed and tell you EXACTLY who Santa Claus is!

LOL....is this what you and Del learned in college?
How to evade questions, or respond to them with a flurry of unrelated questions of your own?

Troy

but my first response was abundantly clear. 

Your response was a DIATRIBE.
An unsolicited strawman of presupposed descriptions.

I didn't ask you did you believe in the existence of a "jolly fat bearded  white guy who maintains a naughty and nice list and flys around faster that the speed of light with reindeer distributing toys made by elves in the North Pole."

I asked you do you dispute the existence of Santa Claus.

It's a simple YES or NO question, yet you refuse to answer it.

Delano

...and as for you.

You should be ASHAMED of yourself.
Displaying such pitiful yet OBVIOUS grand-standing and contrariness.

A Mule's Prayer – Sisters of Christ

On 3/2/2021 at 1:17 AM, Delano said:

Some would argue that there is NO SUCH thing as "existed" except as a word.

The argument says that -that which DID exist....DOES exist, even if it exists in a different state than before.

image.jpeg.3d44fa104e5f70019fd64439e74d00ee.jpeg

"Yall can't handle that one......"

Troy

OK then, Santa Claus existed in your space/time continuum, but I did not experience that timeline.

Well, keep in mind that just because YOU didn't experience something in your timeline (parallel universe??) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

While something may exist IN a Universe, it's "existence" isn't limited to a particular Universe.

But atleast we're making progress since you now acknowledge the existence of Santa Claus!

Now we can move on to social constructs.........

OK, if your definition of “existence” means anything that can be conceived in one’s own mind or things that exist elsewhere in the multi-verse, well sure, Santa Claus exists.

If you are now going to try to shoehorn that definition into one to justify the reality of a social construct you’d be hard-pressed to do that. Actually, no, you do that every day of the week ... never mind.

Troy

OK, if your definition of “existence” means anything that can be conceived in one’s own mind or things that exist elsewhere in the multi-verse, well sure, Santa Claus exists.

👍 I'm glad we agree...but it's not MY definition....it's THEE definition.

If you discounted the existence of something simply because it exists ONLY in the mind then you'd have to say IDEAS don't exist.

Come on man.

If you are now going to try to shoehorn that definition into one to justify the reality of a social construct you’d be hard-pressed to do that. Actually, no, you do that every day of the week ... never mind.

My question for you is why would I have to "justify" the reality of something that we both agree has been constructed?

If it's "constructed" then that means it was built; it IS.

The word "outcast" is a social construct used to designate certain people.

If we are both talking about "outcasts"....you obviously accept their reality even if only in concept for the sake of discussion.

OK good.  So you you believe in a jolly fat bearded  white guy who maintains a naughty and nice list and flys around faster that the speed of light with reindeer distributing toys made by elves in the North Pole, commonly know as Santa Claus?

Troy

So you you believe in a jolly fat bearded  white guy who maintains a naughty and nice list and flys around faster that the speed of light with reindeer distributing toys made by elves in the North Pole, commonly know as Santa Claus?

To answer your question directly again:  No.

Why should I?

40 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Social constructs EXIST.

That was never in dispute. You keep changing the conversation. Race as a social construct exist that’s obvious. That however does that make it real any more than The concept of Santa Claus Makes him real.

Playing around with the definition of words it’s not gonna change this.

Troy

I'm not playing with words, I'm trying to get to the bottom of an issue and solve it.

I'm glad we can agree on the existence of race as a social construct.
Do you also agree that the various races that different nations and cultures classify/group people into....whether you agree with them or not...are also social constructs?

@Delano The concept of race as a social concept is real. The concept of race as a genetic construct is not real. 

Pioneer wants to play games and say that all "concepts" are real and therefor the conceptualized thing must also be real is just silly ploy he is using to say race has a genetic basis rather than just accepting the science.

@Pioneer1 "the existence of race as a social construct" was never in dispute.  It is your assertion that race is defined by our genetics that has been rejected by science.

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Do you also agree that the various races that different nations and cultures classify/group people into....whether you agree with them or not...are also social constructs?

For the upteenth time, NO. I do not agree with the "various races that different nations and cultures classify/group people into." 

Obviously, they are social constructs which one day I suspect more and more people will come to reject, because it is a dumb social construct, which ignorant people have only used to justify the ranking of people based upon the stupid shit some white boys made up a few hundred years ago to justify the enslavement of African people.  I reject the "concept" of race on that basis alone.

Troy

That was never in dispute. You keep changing the conversation. Race as a social construct exist that’s obvious. That however does that make it real any more than The concept of Santa Claus Makes him real.

Obviously, they are social constructs which one day I suspect more and more people will come to reject, because it is a dumb social construct, which ignorant people have only used to justify the ranking of people based upon the stupid shit some white boys made up a few hundred years ago to justify the enslavement of African people.  I reject the "concept" of race on that basis alone.

Alright!

If race is a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT

and

If a social construct does EXIST 

and

You acknowledge that they (races) are MULTIPLE SOCIAL CONSTRUCTS. 

then

Although you reject them, you DO ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXISTENCE OF MULTIPLE RACES.

Congradulations baby boy!

Gimme fiiiiive...

Pimp C | Diskographie | Discogs

....alriiiiight.

which one day I suspect more and more people will come to reject, because it is a dumb social construct, which ignorant people have only used to justify the ranking of people based upon the stupid shit some white boys made up a few hundred years ago to justify the enslavement of African people.  I reject the "concept" of race on that basis alone.

Well...

What you choose to reject has no more bearing on REALITY or whether something EXISTS or not...than your rejecting strawberry icecream means it "doesn't exist".

I'm glad that after all these years we finally come to agree on the existence of MULTIPLE races!

Break out the Cognac!

@Pioneer1 reread (with comprehension this time): 

3 hours ago, Troy said:

Pioneer wants to play games and say that all "concepts" are real and therefor the conceptualized thing must also be real is just silly ploy he is using to say race has a genetic basis rather than just accepting the science.

Del

Do you accept Troy's statement of:
"The concept of race as a genetic construct is not real." ...as being an adequate example of an "unreal" concept?

How could a concept be "unreal" simply because one doesn't understand or agree with it.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

All this stuff about genetics and concepts is besides the fact.

I know you reject science (genetics) and the meaning of words (concepts) when They don’t fit into your worldview.

Both are mere inconveniences that you willingly reshape or reject out right to support a belief.

It does not matter, for example, that science tells us there is only one human race.  You have previously share articles that stated this explicitly but somehow you misread them to believe they supported the idea that there are multiple human races as defined by our genes. 

1 hour ago, Delano said:

@Troyteaching and learning is a two way street. But where is the Stop or Yield signpost 

I’ll never give up on my brothers man. You peeped how pioneer finally acknowledged that he would rather live in 2021 than 1821 or even 1921. Baby steps man, baby steps...

• Like 1

Troy

Come on man, don't try that nickle-n-dime jive on me...lol

You're ATTEMPTING to shift the focus away from your recent ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of multiple races...and towards the DEFINITION of  "race" which is a discussion that could go on for 6 more pages without a solid agreement.

This one was made CRYSTAL clear.

After YEARS of denying the existence of MULTIPLE races (like you just did again) you finally agreed with me that they DO exist.

How?  Because:

1. You acknowledged that Social Constructs exist.
2. You acknowledged that Race is a Social Construct
3. You acknowledged that multiple Races are multiple Social Constructs.

Add it all up and it = You acknowledge that MULTIPLE RACES exist.

Grab the glasses!

Grab a bucket of ice!

Turn on some Gap Band and Jodeci!

Break out the Cold Duck!

Toss me a pack of Zig-zags!

This song's for you man.........Trouble T-Roy:

....it's like that yall.