Did A 21 Year Old Brother Get the Best Of Roland Martin? You Decide........

All over the internet a lot of AfroAmericans in the conscious community are claiming that a 21 year old "beat" Roland Martin in an interview and clowned him on his own show.
I decided to check the interview out and judge for myself who out-did who.

Here's the interview that so many people are talking about:

While King Randall is a very intelligent and ambitious young man who I think has a bright future, his youth and inexperience with the world shows in this interview.

Roland does indeed "school" the young brother on the importance of voting and politics in general in my opinion.

Without listening to the video, I sure Roland was relatively rude, compared to the young man.  I sure he spoke over the kid and raised his voice, giving him little chance to speak.  I stopped listening to Roland for this very reason.  But since you posted the video here I will listen to it  and give you my opinion.  I see that it is 30 minutes long, so it will take me a minute to find the time, but I should get to it today. 

Troy

Yeah, Roland was rude and confrontational as usual....but he also brought a lot of good points as usual.
He's not very charismatic, but he's far from being a fool.  Very smart and informed.

It's not the most dynamic video you'll see but considering what's going on in Georgia and what's in the national media today...it's worth a watch to keep you up to date politically.

Out the gate, Roland jumped on King Randall when he tried to clarify that he was not a Republican, which was a reasonable thing to do since Roland asked him to justify something Republican actions.

Roland does not know what "Do for self" means?!

As expected, Roland barely gave the kid a chance to express himself and respond in a substantive manner.  He cross examined King rather than trying to learn what he is doing.  It was 20 minutes into the "interview" before the guy got to say ore than a few sentences.  

I've supported Roland Martin going back to when he had a neck.  He should be supporting the young man and his school.  It sounds like he has gotten further along with his school than Umar Johnson.

Wouldn't it have been great if Roland used his platform to teach us more about King and his school?  Thirty minutes of conversation and we know nothing about King's remarkable accomplishment!  I'd like to know where he got the funding, how he found the building, when he expects to open, how many students, etc, etc.  Roland could have help the Brother raise more money.

Troy

Out the gate, Roland jumped on King Randall when he tried to clarify that he was not a Republican, which was a reasonable thing to do since Roland asked him to justify something Republican actions.

No, he may not be a Republican but he calls himself a "Conservative" which is an ideology closely aligned with the Republican party today.  I'm not sure if this young man understand what "Conservative" really means.  Most AfroAmericans don't.  I'm concerned that he may MEAN good but is just parroting terms he's grown up hearing without getting the full meaning and history behind them.

Roland does not know what "Do for self" means?!

I'm sure he knows what it means but he was trying to get King to EXPLAIN what HE means by it.  Too often our people just take catch phrases they hear and parrot them without fully understanding their meanings or how practical they actually are in this society.
He was trying to get the young man to THINK about these phrases he was uttering and not just get caught up in the emotions of how good they sound.

It's easy to sit up in a society where others are taking care of you and feeding you and protecting you and say, "I'm doing for myself".  "I'm independent". 
You're actually not, you're just SAYING you are and it SOUNDS good.

One of the problems is King keeps dismissing the importance of voting and politics and wants to focus on the educational and local aspect of helping our people.  But it's all inter-related.  To ignore what the racist Republicans are doing in his state capital and say it's not his fight will ill-effect what HE is trying to do either now or in the future. 
As smart as he is, in his youthful inexperience I don't think he fully understands this.

I've supported Roland Martin going back to when he had a neck.

Lol...that was cold.
But seriously, when was this?

Since I can remember, he's been on the chubby side and he used to wear those ascots around his neck like a rich sissy.

image.jpeg.6e776bd84140eaf9676c4ae257474c2b.jpeg

It sounds like he has gotten further along with his school than Umar Johnson.

Man...
You know it's funny that with all of the commentary I've been hearing about this exchange yours was the first to make that point.  I hadn't even thought about Umar taking over ten years to get his school going.

But like you, I too would like to know how the school is being funded and who's funding HIM.

Again, the young brother is calling himself a "Conservative" which I find problematic for a Black man to do.  Too many AfroAmericans are being used by the Republican party, Libertarians, and racist Conservatives who don't belong to ANY party to push their racist agendas.  
They'll give you money to push THEIR agenda.

Having a school is good.  But we don't need a school that is just going to brainwash our children into right-wing Conservative values disguised as "independence" and "no government" which gives racists a green light to do whatever.

Also, I may have detected a little bit of arrogance as he kept smiling and rolling his eyes and smirking in the other direction while Roland was dropping real advice and wisdom on him.
One mistake smart young people often make is in assuming they know everything or know more than the older person they're talking to.

30 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

...but he was trying to get King to EXPLAIN what HE means by it.

That is just the problem the guy could barely get a word in edgewise, because Roland was badgering him.

31 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

...but he calls himself a "Conservative"

So what?  The guys says he is independent. Besides what does that have to do with anything.  Roland being conservative or Republican even does not make you a "bad" person.

34 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

To ignore what the racist Republicans are doing in his state capital and say it's not his fight will ill-effect what HE is trying to do either now or in the future. 

You've mischaracterized what the kid said in the video.  He did not reject that the fight was not worth waging, he said it is not a battle that he wanted to wage.  He has different priorities. Should he stop trying to open a school? Maybe he recognizes that his energy, passion, and talent are best suited for working for this school. I agree with him.  Black people can do both. Individuals however need to focus.

41 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Lol...that was cold.
But seriously, when was this?

LOL here you go:

ROLAND-S-MARTIN with a neck.jpg.jpg

46 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Again, the young brother is calling himself a "Conservative" which I find problematic for a Black man to do.  Too many AfroAmericans are being used by the Republican party, Libertarians, and racist Conservatives who don't belong to ANY party to push their racist agendas.  

Again;

• Not all Conservatives are Republican;
  • Not all Republications are Racist;
  • Not all Racists are Conservative;

Not all Republicans are racists

King is conservative, not racist, and not a Republican.  Stop trying to shoe horn him into one of your buckets. You and Roland sound like curmudgeons.  If you don't want to help him -- give him a break.  Roland was going at him on Twitter to get attention for himself and I guess it worked because I watched his video for the first time in a long while.

56 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Also, I may have detected a little bit of arrogance as he kept smiling and rolling his eyes and smirking in the other direction while Roland was dropping real advice and wisdom on him.

I did not see it that way. The expressions King shows reflected what I was thinking.  Roland's reactions and comments were just so out of proportion it was hard to take him seriously.  I give King credit for not taking it personally and getting angry; that shows some poise for someone so young.

54 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

One mistake smart young people often make is in assuming they know everything or know more than the older person they're talking to.

This may be true, but I do not think this was the case in this situation. In fact, he was open to Roland visiting his school and talking to the kids.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I hadn't even thought about Umar taking over ten years to get his school going.

Did Umar make any progress toward opening a school?

in what's called Slave Schedules.

Apparently when they did the census they din't count the slaves.  Only the so-called "masters", but the masters had to list the first names and approximate ages of all of their slaves.  

atleast there was sum recurds kept   u  make it seem as if they were treated complete like animals.

"recurds"???

Lol, Nicca who taught you how to spell????

Yeah they kept records but it was still sloppy and shitty.
The slaves had to take the last names of whoever "owned" them and when they were sold their last names changed!
So how can you keep track of your family when he's a Johnson THIS year and a Jackson NEXT year?
You don't know who's related to who.

Troy

So what?  The guys says he is independent. Besides what does that have to do with anything.  Roland being conservative or Republican even does not make you a "bad" person.

Yes he SAYS he's independent but he still considers himself "Conservative".  In a society where racism is part of the TRADITION, why would a Black person what to be a "Conservative"?  What values would he have an interest in "conserving"???

Now being a Conservative or Republican doesn't necessarily make him a "bad" person, however it does make him a POTENTIAL adversary or obstacle to the progress of the AfroAmerican community because Conservatism in THIS society is almost analogous to racism.  And both Republicans and Conservative in general have a history of being anti-Civil rights and anti-Affirmative action.

He has different priorities. Should he stop trying to open a school? Maybe he recognizes that his energy, passion, and talent are best suited for working for this school. I agree with him.  Black people can do both. Individuals however need to focus.

I agree.
However a lot of Republicans and Conservatives including Black ones are known for DISSUADING AfroAmericans from participating in the political process...whether it's from passing strange laws, taking away their right to vote for crimes, or voter intimidation.  This could be just another tactic to take our focus off of the political aspect.

King is conservative, not racist, and not a Republican.  Stop trying to shoe horn him into one of your buckets. You and Roland sound like curmudgeons.  If you don't want to help him -- give him a break. 

I think Roland helped him by giving him some great political advice and wisdom, but I don't think he's accepting it right now.  
BTW....you need to expand the blue territory for Pioneer's Enemy to include atleast a good third of each of the circles. 
There are some non-racist Republicans who are STILL the enemy and non-Republican Conservatives who are enemies.

I did not see it that way. The expressions King shows reflected what I was thinking.  Roland's reactions and comments were just so out of proportion it was hard to take him seriously.  I give King credit for not taking it personally and getting angry; that shows some poise for someone so young.

I agree.
He's intelligent and too smart to get into a argument with or challenge Martin on his own show.  However it's hard for him to hide the fact that he's not taking Roland or his advice/political education very seriously.  It shows in his body language.  

Did Umar make any progress toward opening a school?

Well.....he says he has a building in Delaware.

image.jpeg.bdca199f19d48f93d00a70792258e5c8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

why would a Black person what to be a "Conservative"?

Seriously visit the south sometime Black people are the most conservative folks in the country.  They may vote democratic, but these bible thumper are very socially conservative.

8 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Conservatism in THIS society is almost analogous to racism

That is purely in you head.

9 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Republicans and Conservatives including Black ones are known for DISSUADING AfroAmericans from participating in the political process

Wait, What? Weren't YOU the one I had to convince to vote in the last election.  Do I have to show you the post.  Weren't you the one decrying the futility of the entire electoral process.  Aren't you the same Pioneer who always said we must "Do for self."

12 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

There are some non-racist Republicans who are STILL the enemy and non-Republican Conservatives who are enemies.

LOL dude any Capital R Republican is your enemy, but the reality is the racist ones are the cats you gotta watch out for.

Share the link to info about Umar's school.

Troy

Seriously visit the south sometime Black people are the most conservative folks in the country.  They may vote democratic, but these bible thumper are very socially conservative.

And this is where the CONFUSION comes into play, because what a lot of AfroAmericans and people in general CALL "Conservatism" or being Conservative is actually simply being religious or moral but not necessarily "Conservative".

Most AfroAmericans are anti-abortion and pro-religion.
That is ONE ASPECT of Conservative Ideology!

But there are OTHER ASPECTS of it like being:
-sexist
-ultra-capitalist
-RACIST
-anti-union
-anti-civil rights regulation
-and pro-war.

Most Black people DO NOT fit into any of those categories.

But Republicans and Conservatives are great at pushing buttons and touching on ONE ISSUE that you may have in common with them and constantly pressing on it to make you think you share their conservative values when that's not the case.

The fact is most AfroAmericans are moderate but are usually inclined to lean toward Liberalism although most of us won't admit it.

Wait, What? Weren't YOU the one I had to convince to vote in the last election.  Do I have to show you the post.  Weren't you the one decrying the futility of the entire electoral process.  Aren't you the same Pioneer who always said we must "Do for self."

I didn't say we shouldn't vote.
I said we shouldn't WASTE our vote for people who don't have our best interests in mind.

We should DEFINATELY get involved in the political process by running for and getting in office OURSELVES instead of getting behind some racist Caucasian with a D or R behind their name hoping they will do for us what we should be DOING FOR SELF.

LOL dude any Capital R Republican is your enemy, but the reality is the racist ones are the cats you gotta watch out for.

According to Neely Fuller Jr.  I'm duty bound to suspect ALL of them are racists until the prove to me otherwise.
Why?
Because somebody has to be racist; and because we don't have an actual master-list of them we must suspect them all until proven otherwise.

Share the link to info about Umar's school.

Dr. Umar Johnson Announces School Location: Here’s What You Should Know — The Official Black Review

It was supposed to open BEFORE then...lol.

I'm a little different than most in that I'll continue to give Dr. Umar a break as long as he keeps trying and giving SOME sort of effort to build the acadamy he has been talking about for years.
I support the GOOD that Black men do...even if it's just a little bit.

People question what he's doing with the money and what's taking him so long or if he's just bullshitting the people....
As long as he's not strong-arm robbing people and doing SOMETHING of worth with the money, I'm gonna give him a break.

Even if he IS skimming off the top, that's to be expected in this society.
I don't expect a Saint or Angel.

11 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't expect a Saint or Angel.

No one is a saint.  But is there any transparency.  How much did he collect and where did the money go?  Is he just walking around in an abandoned school building or what?

Seriously man, if you listened to his words what did he actually say? How was he trying to appeal to you.  Was it mostly emotional or was he relating specific information.  We know what resonates with people the most.. right?

How did Trump University run their scam.  What tactics did they use? Is Umar's tactics any different?

I would not feel comfortable giving this Brother money with the approach used in the video. That would be like giving me money because I talked about opening a Black book website for 10 years. 

• Thanks 1

Troy

When it comes to the AfroAmerican community, my code of ethics and expectations are a little different than most peoples.

I EXPECT for you to skim a little off the top.
I calculate that into the funds I give you.

As long as your good outweighs your bad AND your bad doesn't involve directly harming other AfroAmericans....I'll cut you a little slack.

If nothing else, Dr. Umar is a great talker and knows how to articulate the problems of the AfroAmerican community in general and the problems of Black boys in the educational system in specific.  There aren't many out there who can do it as well as he can.  So if he is looking both ways and stuffing a couple grand in his pockets here and there...I don't mind.

Now I understand that a lot of people will find this intolerable.
They consider it theft, fraud, ect...
I'm not going to argue with them, but I will ask for them to find someone who produces BETTER results.

You have a father who is a hard drinker and yells at your mother every other night in a drunken rage....but he's a good provider, keeps a roof over everybody's head, and protects her and the rest of the children from harm in the neighborhood.  Despite his yelling, he doesn't physically abuse her.
Should she leave him?
Maybe.
But does she have someone better to take his place?

You gotta take the good with the bad and not throw the baby out with the bath water sometimes.

Now that's how I look at it...but I could be wrong.

You are equating skimming a little off the top with taking everything.  Umar needs to support himself using the funds he raised for that is fine, but if he never opens the school and keeps pushing back dates indifferently, what distinguishes him from a thief?  Do you know when his school will open?

• Thanks 1

Troy

but if he never opens the school and keeps pushing back dates indifferently, what distinguishes him from a thief?  Do you know when his school will open?

No, I don't.

I will concede a little and say if he NEVER opens the school or keeps pushing the dates back over and over and over then he should be considered a SCAMMER.
The people shouldn't allow themselves to be made fools out of.

Infact, I'll go a bit further and say if he just does a little here and a little there to make it LOOK like he's making progress simply to keep the money coming in...he's a scammer.

I wouldn't say "thief" because people voluntarily gave him the money.  He used deceit to get it out of them, but he didn't take it against their will.

But I need more concrete proof of this before accusing the brother.  It looks suspicious certainly, but even the Caucasian law SAYS you're innocent until PROVEN guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  As long as he's not hurting anyone I'll give my brother the benefit of the doubt.

8 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I wouldn't say "thief" because people voluntarily gave him the money.  He used deceit to get it out of them, but he didn't take it against their will.

You should probably revise your understanding of the word thief.  Based upon your definition Bernie Madoff is not a thief.

Troy

You should probably revise your understanding of the word thief.  Based upon your definition Bernie Madoff is not a thief.

I'm not sure exactly what Bernie Madoff did or what he was charged with, but if people VOLUNTARILY gave him the money he misused...then in my opinion it's not thievery.
It's wrong.
It's deception.
It's dishonest.
....but not thievery.

Now if he was entrusted with certain accounts and TOOK the money out of those accounts without  permission...yes, that's theft.

But then he'd be a scammer AND a thief.

Sometimes it's a fine line, but one that exists in MY moral code.
We must be specific when it comes to accusing people of misdeeds...especially in legal situations, and not just throw words and accusations around.

The reason I make such a distinction is because I don't feel the punishments should be the same.
A preacher who tricks his congregation into signing over their social security checks to him shouldn't be punished like a man who robs a liquor store...even if he ends up bringing in more money.

• 11 months later...