Discussion Forums v.s. Social Media

fun-fact-1-small.jpgYesterday I created this meme in reaction to a WP article @Delano shared covering the rates at which people are killed by police.

I shared it on the platforms below and here is the engagement;

• Facebook (zero engagement no comments, likes, or shares),
  • Instagram (I through I posted it yesterday),
  • Pinterest (I have not checked),
  • Twitter (zero engagement no comments, likes, or shares), and
  • Lipstick Alley (20 comments in less than an hour)

Now the comparison is not equal because the meme has, as of the time I'm writing this, has been on Lipstick alley for less than 60 minutes and on the social media platforms it has been up for over 24 hours.

I created a short link https://bit.ly/96times which allows me to see how many people actually clicked the link I shared with the meme.

In the last day only 8 people, in all of social media, clicked the link to come to the discussion forum.  In an hour 21 people from Lipstick Alley visited this website. Of the 29 total visitors to the site no one posted a comment.

• Sad 1

Troy

This report from you seems to passively and indirectly lend support to my assertion that INTELLECTUAL DECLINE is a major reason for the lack of participation of discussion boards compared to social media platforms.  People who don't think...don't care.

Ofcourse.....since you don't believe that, you're liable to explain those results by pointing out that people who frequent social media tend to be younger and less educated and thus less INTERESTED in political or medical information than those who frequent discussion boards..lol.

My guess is changes to the algorithm on social are a much bigger factor than our collective intellect.

Keep in mind I’ve been posting on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter since they were invented. Facebook announced several years ago that they were no longer allowing business accounts to reach their audience directly without buying an ad. This is demonstrably true. Very little I post with my AALBC account gets engagement. Even buying an ad does not get as much engagement as I did when the platform first launched.

I could use my personal account to post book related stuff and things like that me and my created, But as I mentioned I don’t use social media for personal purposes...

If I want engagement with my business related content it looks like discussion forms may be the way to go.

I actually explained the meme to people on LSA. Read the comments they Ranged from reasonable to ridiculous.

Yeah I saw that I was rather surprised. I did not comment on it because the reality is over the years we’ve always had more woman posters than men. A lot of the comments exhibit a great deal of ignorance particularly when it dealt with the specifics of this website, me, or the motivation for the meme I  created.

The Most shocking thing however was the anti-Vaccers — People are actually more afraid of the vaccine than they are of the effects of contracting Covid!

They sound like freaking lunatics!  Some people believe the vaccine is a way to kill black people. Now why would anybody come up with a vaccine to kill us when the virus is self was doing a terrific job of it already — makes no damn sense

13 hours ago, Troy said:

People are actually more afraid of the vaccine than they are of the effects of contracting Covid!

People don't believe COVID-19 is a thing.  So if you don't think the disease is factual, then the antidote will be fake too.

I stopped underestimating the power of stupid long before 45 was elected.   

I haven't been vaccinated yet -Since I need to sign a consent form to receive it - I'll get the one-dose JNJ vaccine. (Also, my oldest daughter works for JNJ)

It appears Georgia's governor got it before he put a halt to it due to the 12 people who got clots from the shot.  I recently read it's a go again - so I'll continue to look for an appointment.

I've always enjoyed mathematics and science and did well in everything but chemistry. Still, I grasp the concepts. Those folks who gravitate towards conspiracies are like the people in the past who decided gods caused weather activity and diseases. Collectively, the human species hasn't evolved much in several millennia.

Facebook did get a couple of reactions:

Nini Thompson

"fun fact"? in very poor taste..

Vivian Stuart

This is not a Fun Fact! You should know better. FYI the Rhona V V@ccines, Operation Warp Speed is a Military Operation.

To @Pioneer1's point @Mel Hopkins maybe there is not an intellectual decline; humanity, save a handful of geniuses, is collectively not very bright to begin with.

I'm sure social media suppressed this post.  This is nothing new.  Again, on a site like this and LSA every thing is just posted their is no algorithm controlling what you see.

teh-nerve.jpg

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Troy said:

Nini Thompson

"fun fact"? in very poor taste..

Vivian Stuart

This is not a Fun Fact! You should know better. FYI the Rhona V V@ccines, Operation Warp Speed is a Military Operation

OMG!!!  Wouldn't it makes sense to take the vaccine if Operation Warp Speed is a military operation?  Sort of like if we're in a war zone we'd wear Kevlar and helmets?  I can't with these folks. :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Troy said:

I'm sure social media suppressed this post.  This is nothing new.  Again, on a site like this and LSA every thing is just posted their is no algorithm controlling what you see.

Yep!  I actually had to go to your twitter page to see the post.  All your other tweets popped up in my feed.     I'm done with fighting social media algorithms.   I respond to twitter posts.  I'm not on facebook - and I haven't figured out exactly what I want to post on Instagram  or if it's even worth it.   I still like readingblack.com - and I'm constantly thinking about what type of campaign would appeal to both writers and readers to get more activity there.