Can you guess his ethnicity/race?

Well a race part is easy: human

As far as ethnicity, that is a great deal more challenging. You can’t simply look at someone and determine their ethnicity.

However in the spirit of fun I’ll venture a guess. I would say this person is African-American from the south or mid west definitely not from a major urban center like New York City or Los Angeles.

6 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

The person looks like a mixture of the African race and Dravidian race....maybe with some Caucasian ancestry further down the line.

very interesting guess! what features made u guess dravadian

3 hours ago, afro718 said:

very interesting guess! what features made u guess dravadian

I've studied the Dravidian culture and people over the years so certain physical features stand out.

Plus, as I implied earlier....he has a "feminine" look about him which is a relatively common feature among many men on the Indian subcontinent.

@Delano If that brother is Jamaican, which I doubt, he is definitely not living there.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, Pioneer1 said:

How could you tell what region of the nation they are from simply be looking at them?

@Pioneer1  Because no one from a big city will be caught dead in those busted Shirley Temple curls. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Troy said:

OK @afro718 what’s the answer?

Or are you just trying to poke fun at someone you know?

he's of african american, irish and native american descent

12 hours ago, Delano said:

He looks likes family friend who is Jamaican and Chinese.

he's of african american, irish and native american descent.

kinda makes sense u guessed asian. a lot of natives have an "asian" look to them 

which again makes sense considering their deep ancestral roots in asia

what features made u guess asian though?

Afro

So he's made up of 3 different races.
That's a typical AfroAmerican, lol

In Latino culture they have a name for that mixture but I forgot exactly what it's called.

"Triego" or something like that.

Troy

again more evidence for why race is so problematic.

And again, you can’t look at someone and determine their ethnicity.

Race isn't problematic for me.
There are clearly defined categories for all races and racial mixtures, most people are just ignorant of them.

No one is arguing about how easy it is to determine one's ethnicity.  Ethnicity is a very FLUID category that is based more on culture and personal identity than genetics and phenotype.

36 minutes ago, Troy said:

Many American descendants of slaves have that background, including myself.

@Pioneer1 again more evidence for why race is so problematic.

5 minutes ago, Troy said:

That is a perfect definition for race.

16 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Afro

So he's made up of 3 different races.
That's a typical AfroAmerican, lol

In Latino culture they have a name for that mixture but I forgot exactly what it's called.

"Triego" or something like that.

Troy

again more evidence for why race is so problematic.

Race isn't problematic for me.
There are clearly defined categories for all races and racial mixtures, most people are just ignorant of them.

No one is arguing about how easy it is to determine one's ethnicity.  Ethnicity is a very FLUID category that is based more on culture and personal identity than genetics and phenotype.

yeah I know it's not uncommon for americans to have some "other" lineage

but usually with the native part specifically ive seen a lot of people who have more stories than actual lineage 

european is def pretty common among slave descendants in America...and usually much closer/traceable

@afro718, I’m going off my Ancestry DNA results and my family tree, both of which reveal similar ancestry to the person whose photo you posted, a background which is not at all unusual. 

Do you know the person whose photo you posted?  Is it you? 🤨

4 minutes ago, Troy said:

@afro718, I’m going off my Ancestry DNA results and my family tree, both of which reveal similar ancestry to the person whose photo you posted, a background which is not at all unusual. 

Do you know the person whose photo you posted?  Is it you? 🤨

sorry wasnt implying that ur heritage wasn't factual just in general. if ur african american u know many have the "cherokee" story thing in the community

when there are like over 400 different tribes. lol i think u know what im talkin about. not to u specifically

but i do think in general its MUCH more likely for AA's to have that heritage than it is for white americans.

i've seen a lot of the DNA results u refer to and a LOT more white ppl disappointed than Blacks lol

Afro

I know it's almost clique for AfroAmericans to run around talking about they have "Indian" in them.  But actually in most cases this is quite true.  It's just that most AfroAmericans don't have the resources to properly prove their lineage.

It's actually the Caucasians who are the most guilty of "faking the funk" by claiming to be Native American when they really aren't or only have trace amounts.  But they are often able to manipulate laws to get their claims legitamized.

Central Asian and South Asian Indian

Well I know I see a little Dravidian in him..in his facial features and especially his eyebrows.

Troy

Ethnicity is much more fluid than race because ethnic groups can literally be made up over night.

For example...
Italian used to be only a nationality.  But now in the U.S. when someone says they are "Italian" they usually mean "Italian American" and are using it as an ethnicity instead of a nationality.

Technically speaking the word "Black"...although most people think of it as a race or color is actually an ETHNIC term for AfroAmericans.

Many Africans don't see themselves as "Black" and when they refer to "Blacks" they are talking about AfroAmericans...lol.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Ethnicity is much more fluid than race because ethnic groups can literally be made up over night.

Race is really no different.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Many Africans don't see themselves as "Black"

Probably.

Troy

Ethnicity isn't the same as race.

Whether you agree with the term or not....you have to admit that race is BASED on hard core physical characteristics like skin color, hair texture, eye structure, ect..

Ethnicity is based on intangible concepts like language, religion, marriage customs, ect...
Much more fluid.

Troy
Marvin Gaye is the man himself
Ethnicity isn't the same as race.
Perfect means NO MISTAKES.
If she thought her skin was perfect and flawless then she would have bleached it...or just her face it seems.  Looking like a damn CLOWN with a pastey yellow face and a brown neck and arms.
I wonder do some of these women bleach their coochie too...lol.
I liked Venus better anyway..lol.
I thought she had a better body and a MUCH better attitude.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Afro

I know it's almost clique for AfroAmericans to run around talking about they have "Indian" in them.  But actually in most cases this is quite true.  It's just that most AfroAmericans don't have the resources to properly prove their lineage.

It's actually the Caucasians who are the most guilty of "faking the funk" by claiming to be Native American when they really aren't or only have trace amounts.  But they are often able to manipulate laws to get their claims legitamized.

Central Asian and South Asian Indian

Well I know I see a little Dravidian in him..in his facial features and especially his eyebrows.

Troy

For example...
Italian used to be only a nationality.  But now in the U.S. when someone says they are "Italian" they usually mean "Italian American" and are using it as an ethnicity instead of a nationality.

Technically speaking the word "Black"...although most people think of it as a race or color is actually an ETHNIC term for AfroAmericans.

Many Africans don't see themselves as "Black" and when they refer to "Blacks" they are talking about AfroAmericans...lol.

here's his grandfather.

123338735_2759679810940924_6904136254615092854_n-2.jpg

Afro

I can't tell if that man is racially African or racially Dravidian.

Judging by his clothes and those keys hanging off his pants, I would say he's probably racially African.

We're all curious, who is the man in the original photo?
Is he a relative of yours?
Do you know him personally?

On 5/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Ethnicity is based on intangible concepts like language, religion, marriage customs

Since when are these things intangible?

Your argument fails actually weakens you position, for race is based purely upon subjective and inconsistent dimensions.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:47 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Afro

I can't tell if that man is racially African or racially Dravidian.

Judging by his clothes and those keys hanging off his pants, I would say he's probably racially African.

We're all curious, who is the man in the original photo?
Is he a relative of yours?
Do you know him personally?

yes, a friend :D

On 5/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Can you touch a language?
Lol, can you keep a marriage in your pocket?

Dude there’s more than one definition to the word look it up.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:35 PM, afro718 said:

yes, a friend :D

I trust he is a good one. Has he read our reactions?

1 minute ago, Troy said:

Dude there’s more than one definition to the word look it up.

I trust he is a good one. Has he read our reactions?

yes, ppl usually mistake him for "Dominican" or Trinidadian where hes from so he was interested to see the guesses

he kinad gets a kick out of the whole game lol

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, afro718 said:

yes, ppl usually mistake him for "Dominican" or Trinidadian where hes from so he was interested to see the guesses

he kinad gets a kick out of the whole game lol

I wouldn't have thought this because most Dominicans don't have a "look" different than most AfroAmericans.
I haven't met enough people from Trinidad to determine if they have a particular "look" or not.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, Pioneer1 said:

That's a "he"???

he actually has a  black heterosexual friend who told him that he wants a girl who has hair like him. lol

i thought it was weird

and that same heterosexual friend also said that he gives a "coolie" vibe, which is a Trinidadian version of your guess of what his makeup was

(mix of black and indian)

then that friend later told him that "coolie" women are his type lol

he seems to have some heterosexual admirers...

what do u think of what was said?

Afro

he actually has a  black heterosexual friend who told him that he wants a girl who has hair like him. lol

i thought it was weird

I'm not sure what race or ethnicity YOU are, but that desire is pretty common among Black men....especially in the Western hemisphere.  
That hair is called "loose curls" which is a mix between wavy and curly, considered an attractive feature for most Black women to have.

They even have a hair texture number for that type of hair but I forgot what it is.

Based on my limited knowledge of West Indian culture, the term "coolie" is an insult for Indian and Chinese immigrants and their children.
It's not a term I'd use.

Maybe you are, but if you're not very familiar with Caribbean culture you should be extremely careful who you use that term around.

The reason I'm giving you this advice is because some Black folks have a habit of talking reckless and saying things out in the open that most people say only behind closed doors or simply don't say at all...and it ends up getting them in trouble.

Some of it is done out of simply being too stupid to consider the consequences...for example KNOWING that "coolie" is a derogatory word but simply not caring.
But much of it is done out of sheer ignorance...for example you grew up hearing your father or friends use the term in over and over so you didn't realize how derogatory it was until you called an Indian man that and he went upside your head, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Afro

he actually has a  black heterosexual friend who told him that he wants a girl who has hair like him. lol

i thought it was weird

I'm not sure what race or ethnicity YOU are, but that desire is pretty common among Black men....especially in the Western hemisphere.  
That hair is called "loose curls" which is a mix between wavy and curly, considered an attractive feature for most Black women to have.

They even have a hair texture number for that type of hair but I forgot what it is.

Based on my limited knowledge of West Indian culture, the term "coolie" is an insult for Indian and Chinese immigrants and their children.
It's not a term I'd use.

Maybe you are, but if you're not very familiar with Caribbean culture you should be extremely careful who you use that term around.

The reason I'm giving you this advice is because some Black folks have a habit of talking reckless and saying things out in the open that most people say only behind closed doors or simply don't say at all...and it ends up getting them in trouble.

Some of it is done out of simply being too stupid to consider the consequences...for example KNOWING that "coolie" is a derogatory word but simply not caring.
But much of it is done out of sheer ignorance...for example you grew up hearing your father or friends use the term in over and over so you didn't realize how derogatory it was until you called an Indian man that and he went upside your head, lol.

thanks so much for your insight, its very appreciated

i am assuming you are a black hetero male?

i am black as well, but not "ambiguous" or mixed looking by any means 

i love my  friend's stories because they are always so interesting ...the people he encounters

what type of skin tone would u say he has? i reuploaded the pic to this site because for some reason AALBC seemed to distort the color of the pic a bit

at least on my end.

pic here: https://uploadir.com/u/mvoadb3h 

Afro

i am assuming you are a black hetero male?

Yes sir, I'm a heterosexual AfroAmerican.
Sorry if that's disappointing...lol

what type of skin tone would u say he has? 

He is what we would call "brown skinned".
Like this brother:

John Boyega hits out at racism online after the death of a black man in the  US | Ents & Arts News | Sky News

Not light skinned or dark skinned but in the middle.