Should. Juneteenth Be. A. Holiday ??

Politicians  Want. Juneteenth  To. Be. Holiday. Juneteenth   When ,,Slavery. Was. Ended. .Slavery. Has. Never. Been. Over..  Slave,Owners. Used. The. Bible. To. Justify. Slavery. Christianity. ,Was. Tortured. Forced. Upon. Our. Slaved. Ancestors., Black,Preachers. Preach. Christianity. For. Money. .Christianity ,,Enslaved. The. Mind. ,Spirit. Of. Black. People. .Poverty. ,Poor,Black,Communities. Comes. From. Racism. Discrimination ..White. Democrats. ,Republicans. Racist. Evil. As. The., Slave,Plantation.  Owners .Black. Communities. Are. Enslaved. By,,Church. Crack. Sellers. Crack. Houses. Pimp Houses ,,Black,Politicians  ..What. Is. Juneteenth  Being. A. Holiday Going ,To,Do. .? ..

• Like 1

This is nothing but a SYMBOLIC victory.
A bone thrown at AfroAmericans in an attempt to appease them and make them THINK they've made gains when thinks are really going backwards in many of our communities.

Harry is correct that slavery hasn't ended.  It still exists.  The only difference is you have to be convicted of a crime first before they can force you to work.

I was not aware of Juneteenth until I was an adult. The celebrations in and around New York City were not very big; It was sort of like Kwanzaa. You had to be really Afrocentric to be into it.

One of my cousins started a parade in White Plains I believe it’s 30 years old now I never did make it I always have something else to do that weekend.

Here in Tulsa Oklahoma the celebration was humongous there were at least 10 times the number of people here for Juneteenth than were here to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the race massacre—And that drew a lot of people.

Some suggest the Juneteenth celebration in Tulsa is the biggest in the country. Everyone I talk to, who is from Texas, rejects that notion. All I know is I have not seen so many black people in one place, outside of an arena, in a long time.

Sure they should have a Juneteenth national holiday. It is long overdue.

What they should do is get rid of that stupid Columbus Day.

• Like 1

Yeah, Juneteenth was mostly a SOUTHERN Blk tradition.  And especially in the Texas area.
You didn't find a lot of AfroAmericans in the North celebrating it.
I heard my Parents and other older relatives mentioning it from time to time but it wasn't nearly as big as Kwanza...which wasn't too big either after the 70s.

Troy

What they should do is get rid of that stupid Columbus Day

Most Italian Americans would have a problem with that, lol.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:16 PM, Troy said:

Sure they should have a Juneteenth national holiday. It is long overdue.

WOW! It's that big in Tulsa. Like Kwanza, I have learned about Juneteenth by and by but not in a formal educational setting. 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:02 AM, Pioneer1 said:

I heard my Parents and other older relatives mentioning it from time to time but it wasn't nearly as big as Kwanza...which wasn't too big either after the 70s.

What I do not fully understand would be of its' importance outside of Texas in relation to the federal mandate ending slavery.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:15 AM, harry brown said:

.Slavery. Has. Never. Been. Over..

No. I do not believe that slavery is over at all.

Chev

What I do not fully understand would be of its' importance outside of Texas in relation to the federal mandate ending slavery.

Because it's a SYMBOLIC victory.

It's a bone that the Caucasians in the Democrat party threw at Black people to make it look like we're making political progress when in fact making it a Federal Holiday does absolutely nothing for us.

It's like passing out Monopoly money.
Absolutely useless to someone above a 12 year old mentality.

• Like 1