BILL COSBY is a FREE MAN!

• Mel Hopkins changed the title to BILL COSBY is a FREE MAN!

I guess almost everyone's heard the news huh...lol.

I've come to appreciate and respect the perspective of the opposite sex over the years.

Part of me is very glad that an 80 something year old Black man who is blind and has other health problems doesn't have to suffer behind bars anymore.....however another part of me wonders how women and especially women who have been victims of sexual assault feel.

I'm not a woman and I've never been a victim (or perpetrator for the record) of sexual assault so I don't know if it's my place to celebrate or say he shouldn't have been locked up to begin with.

I'd love to not only hear the perspectives of @Chevdove @Mel Hopkins & @Cynique  on this issue but also what they've heard of any female friends/family they know who may have been victims of sexual assault may feel about this.

• Thanks 1

I met Bill Cosby on one of my flights.  He was one of the most gracious and accommodating passengers I flew with.  His personal assistant was a black woman. You may have seen her on his perp walk to and from the court. The man those women identified as a rapist is not the man I met that day. 

BB46E060-0400-4B54-AC6C-74E8C5A376DA.thumb.jpeg.bd88fc7614ec80192b0d53fe73ca2226.jpeg

I believe those women. 

If Cosby told the truth in his deposition - then he didn’t drug them without their knowledge. 

Sexual Assault is tricky. We women say no, or want to say no but sometimes we feel guilty for putting ourselves in a situation where a man can harm us.  It is f-cked up some men are monsters. 

I was in that situation when I was a teen crushing on a cute boy who was nearly a man. (18 yoa) I thought he was a good boy. He wasn’t.  It took another man to keep him from sexually violating me. Thank goodness for “iron sharpening iron.”  A man protected me from a monster.  

I told all the other girls who knew him to stay away from him - I told them he was a predator. I TOLD.  I also learned how to use my sexuality to get what I want from men. That’s the trade off for innocence lost or almost lost. 

BUT I didn’t file charges against him. Do you know my dad was a cop? I could have had all of NYPD on him.  BUT I felt ashamed for putting myself in that position to like and trust a predator.  

This is why some women don’t come forward until 50-11 years later.  

Then it’s too late.  

I believe the PA Supreme Court Justices got it right. 

I also believe we must teach boys not to rape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mel Hopkins said:

It is both alarming and sad that you feel it necessary to make that statement Mel.  As I man, I can not relate to the vulnerability of a woman.  Men who take advantage of weaker people -- be they male, female, or any of the other new fangled genders -- is a piece of crap.

I hesitate to say the I believe/disbelieve  the women, because each person, and situation is different. I'm sure some women were less sophisticated or promiscuous than and others.  

I met Cosby once too -- nothing formal -- we happened to be alone for a few moments at the Jackie Robinson Benefit.  I introduced myself to him.  What stuck me most about him was that his handshake was weak.  I just attributed it to age...

Hey Mel if Dr. Cosby invited you to his hotel or home that evening would you have gone?

8 minutes ago, Troy said:

I'm sure some women were less sophisticated or promiscuous than and others.  

If we teach boys not to rape it wouldn’t’ be necessary to determine whether a woman is less sophisticated or promiscuous.

We already know, as a man, he would not attack her under any circumstance. Her state of mind is only an extenuating factor if she’s unconscious or under the influence.  But he wouldn’t need to worry because he wouldn’t put himself in the position to harm her. 

Sadly, this society doesn’t teach boys to be mindful of their behavior.  We teach girls to be responsible for their own behavior, and the behavior of boys and men. 

So, yes it needs to be said over and over. Boys who learn not to rape girls grow up to be men who won’t rape women.  

As for your question, I couldn’t think of one reason to be alone with Cosby in his hotel room.  But even if I were, I’d expect him or any man to respect my boundaries. i’d respect his just like I did on the plane.  He invited the crew (men and women) to take pictures with him.

Many people were talking about these incidents happened back in the 70s, but I found out that atleast one of the incidents happened as late as 2004.

Del

I didn't realize how many women were victims of sexual assault until I got older and older and started relating to women in a LESS physical way and in a more intellectual way in terms of conversation and genuine platonic friendships.

We'd be driving down a highway or sitting in a coffee shop and women will talk about their early experiences of being violated as casually as talking about the trees outside or the weather.  Almost no emotion.  It was slightly shocking and a bit confusing that they weren't breaking down when they'd tell me some of this shit they experienced.

Mel

The encounter you shared reminds me of the old saying,  "The only person who can stop a BAD guy with a gun is a GOOD guy with a gun".
It took a good man to stop a bad one.

Not only should we teach boys not to rape, but we should punish them appropriately WHEN they rape or sexually assault someone.

You can teach and talk to some people until you're blue in the face but wouldn't impact their behavior ONE BIT if they don't think there will be any negative consequences to their offense.   It'll go in one ear and right out the other.

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT for physical crimes like assault, rape, armed robbery, ect...will make a young thug think twice or maybe three or four times before they decide to violate someone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

t took a good man to stop a bad one.

@Pioneer1 and that was the lesson I leaned when I was almost 17-years-old.  It was the best lesson I learned about men, and women for that matter.   I will never forget him - and i’ve searched the internet to find him - but I think he left the entertainment business.  He was an excellent ventriloquist.  Yep he was a Black ventriloquist with a Black puppet.  

10 hours ago, Delano said:

One of the women who he drugged, said she was a freak and would do anything. She didn't understand why he drugged her. 

I get her confusion. And this illustrates my point perfectly.  A good man who is NOT a monster would get her help - NOT drugs.  Like I wrote, the Cosby I met isn’t the monster we’ve come to learn exist.  I get it. 

10 hours ago, Delano said:

One of the women who he drugged, said she was a freak and would do anything.

Yeah that statement does not surprise me at all. Apparently Cosby's freaky predication includes sex with incapacitated women which is apparently why he drugged her.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT for physical crimes like assault, rape, armed robbery, ect...

Yeah like in Singapore -- they don't play there.

13 hours ago, Mel Hopkins said:

If we teach boys not to rape it wouldn’t’ be necessary to determine whether a woman is less sophisticated or promiscuous.

Again, the need to teach boys not to rape I'd hope it would be unnecessary, but apparently it is and I'm, all for it. As far as promiscuity and sophistication I was referring to the effort required to get into a woman's pants (smooth music, alcohol, drugs, etc...  But this assumes the person is not a rapist; Cosby got off drugging woman without their permission then sexually assaulting them -- this is never cool.  Again, the notion we have to teach boys not to do this is reflective of a sad state of affairs.

44 minutes ago, Troy said:

As far as promiscuity and sophistication I was referring to the effort required to get into a woman's pants (smooth music, alcohol, drugs, etc... 

My daughters would say, “this dude sounds  “kinda rapey.”” 

Our social media generation - millennials & Zs are very in tuned to language and phrasing.

48 minutes ago, Troy said:

Again, the notion we have to teach boys not to do this is reflective of a sad state of affairs.

Have you ever told your daughters about going out after dark alone, or showed concerned about provocative outfits they’ve worn or wanted to wear? Have you warned them about certain types of boys?  - If you’ve ever discussed any of that with them  - you’ve taught them how not to get raped.  

Don’t you think we’re way past the time of  teaching boys NOT to rape through the same type of messages we share with girls? 

I’m not trying to convince you though. You and I both grew up on the tail end of the age of “let boys be boys”   I’m offering a perspective that you may not have considered.

I hear you Mel.  Your statements plus @Pioneer1's statements about women relating stories about dealing with rape and "rapey" men is something I've experienced as well. 

Again the need to teach people not to rape each other, in my mind, is tantamount to the need to teach people not to murder or enslave each other.

Obviously, given our collective behavior as a species, we need to teach each our youngins not to rape, murder, and enslave each other. Some suggest religion is what we need to teach our children these lessons.

Whatever the tool is, it needs to be taught, and more importantly we need to punish folks who transgress. The wealthy and famous must be held accountable as well.

• Like 1

Morality and social protocol was not a factor in this case. Nor has Cosby been vindicated from what i understand.  He got out on a legal technicality. Arrogant prosecutors put themselves in the position of violating his right to not incriminate himself.   For once a law worked in favor of a black offender. Hello

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:40 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

He was an excellent ventriloquist.  Yep he was a Black ventriloquist with a Black puppet. 

https://willieandlester.com/

Was it Willie Tyler and Lester

On 7/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

I met Bill Cosby on one of my flights.  He was one of the most gracious and accommodating passengers I flew with.  His personal assistant was a black woman. You may have seen her on his perp walk to and fro the court. The man those women identified as a rapist is not the man I met that day. 

Camille Cosby said the same thing. I think there was William Cosby Phd Jello pudding and Bill "The Pill" Cosby.

• Haha 1

I don't support the death penalty...not for this society atleast.

But I DO support corporal/physical punishment for certain crimes.  Especially crimes that involve violence or sexual violation (which could be considered a form of violence).

It's obvious that simply tossing people into a lock-up isn't enough to deter some people from repeating their offense.  Hell, for some people from extremely destitute backgrounds....prison is a STEP UP from where they were already living.  

String them up against a wall and whip their ass enough, and the next time they see a little kid or woman and get a funny thought in their mind...they'll flinch.

Public Floggings Ordered Till People Miss Thatcher | Just Plain Daft

"Not sure what you did buddy,
but I hope it was worth what you're getting for it now"

18 hours ago, Delano said:

Was it Willie Tyler and Lester

No, not them. My former co-worker was a NYer from Harlem. And he was around our age or a little older.  But I remember Willie Tyler and Lester - so it was really inspiring to see another brother come up in that field too. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:53 AM, Delano said:

A few of the FB Astrology groups have noted that Uranus making a return, exactly on the day. I haven't followed it or looked at it though. Uranus returns at about 84. @Cynique yours was between May 2017 - Jan 2019

Also because Uranus is sudden changes it may mean he goes back to jail when it changes direction in August.

Del

When she said a Black ventriloquist, that's who I was thinking of.

I didn't know his actual name, but I saw him on some old t.v. shows like The Jeffersons.

Pin on Black History

American Bandstand 1976- Interview Willie Tyler and Lester - YouTube

I think you have to have a bit of a "split personality" to begin with if you chose to be a ventriloquist as a profession.
If I were a woman I'd be a little uneasy around a man like that, lol.
How could you take him seriously?

That is Willie Tyler @Pioneer1ventriloquism used to be a much more popular form of entertainment. Nowadays you rarely of ever see one.

I used to like Waylan and Madame (sp?) too. 

yes i know what happens astrologically matters to you @Delano I’m suggesting that interpreting astrological aspects is pretty subjective and should not over rule what we can observe here on earth? 

in other words we can let our interpretation overrule common sense. Do you see what I’m saying?

You should follow @richardmurray’s blog he is always relating astrological happenings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy said:

’m suggesting that interpreting astrological aspects is pretty subjective and should not over rule what we can observe here on earth? 

Every opinion is subjective @Troy However this one is exact on the day. Also realise that I am just reposting what other Astrologers have said. I haven't looked at Cosby's chart since about 2015.
I use Astrology to help me see a bit more than is obvious. Like Trump would win, and while I got hi removal wrong. The date that I mentioned was when his impeachment trial started. So I wouldn't suggest that Your interpretation of events, over rule good sense. 

Thanks I will have a look at his blog. Is he a graphic designer?

Yes, everyone's opinion, by definition, is subjective, but I hope I did not come across as if one should not use multiple sources to form an opinion and that some sources are better than others in a given situation.

I don’t recall saying he was “innocent.” as In completely free of guilt having never did anything wrong.

A Brother, James McIntosh, a psychiatrist, whose opinion I respect, did an analysis of all of the individual cases. One thing that struck me was that the media treated each case as if they were identical a focused on the number of women. Which obfuscated the details.

We know details is not social media’s forte.

Visit this page:  https://aalbc.com/events/bepaa-debate-is-bill-cosby-being-lynched.html Under related link you see a link to Dr. McIntosh’s supporting documentation. 

Man you really trolled the archives for that quote.  It was interesting to reread what I wrote 6.5 years later. 

Don't conflate my support of Cosby with my opinion of Cosby's guilt.

I support Cosby, especially given all of the good he has done, and tried to do, for the Black community. Again, I never thought he was "innocent." It is clear did some very creepy things that, apparently, met the legal definition of rape.

I think Cosby should have been punished. Whether he has been punished enough is a matter of opinion.  Given everything Cosby has been through he has paid a very high price, would you agree?

@Troy I remember what you say better than you, but you need to see your own words. If he raped the women in your family, what punishment would you give him.

Pllease explain to me what it means to support Bill Cosby a man who by account,  sexually assaulted 52 women over 43 years. And made a joke about it on his album in the 70's and made a joke on Larry King  and also told a women in the audience to watch her drink around him. I am sure you can find these clips on Youtube.

@Delano You are throwing around a lot of words which really need to be defined. In your mind does rape equal sexual assault.

Now if you told me Bill Cosby actually raped 52 women I think he deserves death or life imprisonment and one of those Supermax cells. 

But when I think of rape I think about a man overpowering a woman forcing his penis into her mouth vagina or rectum. As far as I know Bill has not been accused of anything like that.

what he has been accused of, as far as I know, is “sexual assault.” I don’t know what Cosby did to 52 different women. I don’t think any of it rises to the level of rape (legal definitions aside). 

Del I thought I answered all of your questions.  Which one(s) did I miss?

Yes I agree, "Rape is sexual assault, but not all sexual assaults  are rape." Again, there is a legal definition of rape and the description of rape I provided,that has nothing to do with the law.  It is not clear to me which definition you are working with.  It is clear Cosby sexually assaulted women, but did he "rape" anyone?  If so, what specifically did he do that was called rape?

It obvious you do not support Cosby.  Is Cosby beyond redemption?  Is he beyond rehabilitation? In order for either of those two things to happen the perpetrator has to be supported? When did Cosby lose your support @Delano?

And before you go there -- this does not mean that I do not support the victims, you can -- and should -- support both.

I presume you disagree with a man who has studied the law and served as a judge, but this is cool.  Why call his ability to listen into question?

Actually, it was Mark who displayed an inability to listen, as he kept asking the same question over and over again.  If seems as if Mark was desperate to get the Judge to respond in the way he wanted. The analogy Mark drew with the guy who killed Trayvon Martin was a flawed and desperate attempt to get Judge Brown to agree with him.

It appears Cosby is an innocent man, who is the subject of many accusations of sexual misconduct none of which rise to the level or rape (as far as I know) or proven to be true in a court of law. He is also a man whose positive impact on the world was cut short and thwarted.

I grew up watching Fat Albert and the Cosby show. I am a black woman and I love strong black male influential role models;especially in the world we live in today. I am by no means condoning any violation to a woman's body, but my question is why was none of this reported to authorities at the time of the alledged rapes? Why would these women wait 40 years later to report such a horrible offense? I hope that these women get some closure and begin to heal. I also would hope that Mr. Cosby would give a formal apology to these women and that they would forgive Mr. Cosby. Hopefully his last days will be more peaceful after his release from prison.

• Thanks 1

We need to pick our battles wisely.

I'm glad the Coz  is out of prison, however openly and brazenly embracing a man who according to the evidence:

1. Got women intoxicated to the point they had no control of themselves and proceeded to have sex with them

2. Repeatedly committed adultery on his wife

....does our community a disservice and isn't a very strategic move because of the messages it sends to boys and young men.

It also makes women of all races...including Black women...feel a certain way looking at so many men rejoice over this.

They may clap and cheer along with Black men but trust me, most AfroAmerican women are looking at the reaction of AfroAmerican men to this and filing it away in their minds....and it's gonna brew and ferment and come out later on as a twisted example some Black men supporting rape and misogyny.

Watch and see.

I warned Black men a week ago to just be glad our brother was released and keep their mouths SHUT about this.
Many didn't want to listen.
We're gonna see how their words and reactions to this incident end up being used against some of them.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

Pennsylvania Supreme Court has overturned Cosby's sexual assault conviction. He is set to be released from prison as early as  TODAY The new ruling bars any retrial in the case according to CNBC reporting. HOLY COW. I did not see that one coming!~ 

I'm totally surprised!

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:46 AM, Chevdove said:

'm totally surprised

Really?  I can understand from an emotionally-invested perspective … But from a legal standpoint the PA Supreme court got it right.

We still have rights under the constitution. So if prosecution wants to keep playing these shoddy legal maneuvers, then those guilty of crimes will be on the street. Especially since, the more money you have the better access you have to exercising legal rights.   

Now if you’re broke and black, the wheels of justice turn slowly. Did you see the story of a Black man who was finally exonerated after serving 34 years in prison?  If he were wealthy he would have never served a day.  

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 1:40 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

A good man who is NOT a monster would get her help - NOT drugs.

I wasn't clear. She was into drugs and sex. She would have done anything sexually. He did have to drug her she was up or rather down for it all. She couldn't understand why he drugged her and then had sex with her.

4 hours ago, Delano said:
On 7/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, Mel Hopkins said:

I wasn't clear.

You were clear.   Here’s another take. 

Her words speak volumes if she said, “I was surprised he drugged me.” Case-in-point,  If she was willing to take drugs  there was no need for him to “drug” her. . She would simply take the drugs herself.

So, it appears her words in this context, speak to his pathology.  His alleged need to control women like I’ve written “a monster.”  

Aside: In his deposition, under oath, he said he never drugged anyone.  Which is possibly another reason the PA supreme court overturned the prosecution’s case. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

Now if you’re broke and black, the wheels of justice turn slowly. Did you see the story of a Black man who was finally exonerated after serving 34 years in prison?  If he were wealthy he would have never served a day.  

@Mel Hopkins So true!

On 6/30/2021 at 8:55 PM, Mel Hopkins said:

BUT I didn’t file charges against him. Do you know my dad was a cop? I could have had all of NYPD on him.  BUT I felt ashamed for putting myself in that position to like and trust a predator.  

This is why some women don’t come forward until 50-11 years later.  

Then it’s too late.  

I believe the PA Supreme Court Justices got it right. 

Yes! 

• Like 1