Critical Thinking Is Called For...My Personal Take On The Cosby Situation

The arguments in the Black community have already started.

One side says Cosby was a victim of racism who should have never been incarcerated in the first place and the women were just trying to grab a bag from him

The other side says Cosby was a rapist who should have been punished for his crimes a long time ago and LATE justice is better than NO justice.

Back and forth...back and forth.

Issues like this illustrate the importance of CRITICAL THINKING.

Just being one dimensional and seeing things only in Black and White is one of the reasons the AfroAmerican community ends up further divided...especially when it comes to issues like this.

I may be wrong but I believe Dr. Cosby pretty much ADMITTED that he drugged atleast some of the women before his sexual encounters.  So their ability to resist was indeed compromised.  I believe that crimes were indeed committed although I'm not sure what the exact punishment should be.
But I also believe he was used as a "fall guy" for the Me Too movement who wanted to see predatory men get locked up and the Establishment didn't want to prosecute and imprison their own...so just focus on making a public example of the Black offenders as usual.  It doesn't justify what he did, but it puts it in perspective.

However my biggest take away from this situation is that we as Black men need to be more sensitive to OTHER demographics, especially women.
We know how offended we get when it comes to racism and can smell insincerity and injustice a mile a way when it comes from Caucasians.  We need to understand that most women are the same way when it comes to sexism. 
Sexism and even misogyny (which was almost unheard of among traditionally mother-loving Black men) has been increasing in many Black circles over the past 40 years and especially the past couple years thanks to social media platforms encouraging it.  I mentioned Tommy Sotomayor and Kevin Samuels in another thread but they are just a few of those responsible for spreading this hatred.  Many others exist and are gaining popularity.  A lot of Black men are being programmed to literally HATE Black women and blame all of the ills of the community on them. 
Many of the victims of this sexist and irrational programing themselves are NOT critical thinkers.  Many are one dimensional in their thinking due either to youth and immaturity or just poor intellectual abilities....and are being manipulated into being anti-woman and especially anti-Black woman.  You see this on BOTH sides to various degrees but the anti-Black man attitudes that exist in some circles among Black women have existed at basically the same rate for atleast 50 years, it doesn't seem to be "growing" like the anti-Black woman attitudes.

How do we counter this and heal our community?

As I said earlier I think Black men need to be more sensitive and considerate of other demographics.  A lot of brothers are saying and are of the beliefs that why should they care about other people when no one cares about them, but I remind them that if they looked back in their life at the few people who DID care about them and showed them any love...it was mostly likely a Black female as opposed other demographics.

But more importantly I think CRITIAL THINKING is one of the solutions and we need to teach our people from youth what it is and HOW to best engage in it because I think the sooner you learn how to think analytically the less likely you are to be manipulated and used for other people's diabolical plans.

• Like 1