Freedom

Del

How is my following your orders, proof of my intelligence. 

Questions aren't orders.

Answering questions isn't the same as following orders.

Plus why do you think I care about your opinion of me.

Because you said:

I have stated what made me feel free and you are attempting to negate my statement. In this and other comments you lack a sense of proportion, or you seem oblivious as to how your words or actions would effect someone."

Your BELIEF that I was insensitive to your feelings seems to have affected your response (or lack there of) to my question, as well as influenced our further dialog.

Obviously you care more about my opinion of you than you wish to admit.

Sure, Pioneer communicates to be understood by others. 

I'm not so sure about communicating to understand himself.  Here is why: I seek to understand my own motivations.  I'm very willing to change my position on an idea when I'm presented with compelling information to the contrary, especially when it is presented by larger groups of people who are experts in a field of study. 

For example, I've dispensed with the idea of race having a genetic basis and recognize it purely as a social construct.  Of course, this also forced me modify my beliefs about race and racism - it does not matter what I'd like to believe or what makes be feel good. 

Pioneer is unwilling to change his beliefs on this basis.  He is too invested in the notion of a genetic foundation of race and how he sees the world.  It does not matter what the science community says. To change would require challenging old beliefs and this is hard.  This is not just hard for Pioneer, but it is also hard for many people, perhaps most...

I'm not sure most people seek to understand their underlying motivations.  Perhaps this is something we can never truly understand. 

@Delano have you ever done something and later ask yourself; "Why the hell did I do that?"  If so, were you always able to come up with an answer?

Once I was in a room with 3 other people (a group project back in B-School).  I said something to the group, that as soon as the words left my mouth I was like, "What did you say that for?!" Everyone just looked at me like I had two heads, decades later I still have no idea way I uttered the words.  It was one of those thoughts that crosses one's mind that one knows to keep to themselves.  

It was like I did not have control over myself.  Sometimes, I encounter someone who seems to have this problem chronically, they come across as assholes and, as a result, turn people off without understanding why.  I have sympathy for these people.

Our brains are complex and difficult to understand, so it is not surprising that understanding our own motivations might be difficult as well.

Troy

Once I was in a room with 3 other people (a group project back in B-School).  I said something to the group, that as soon as the words left my mouth I was like, "What did you say that for?!" Everyone just looked at me like I had two heads, decades later I still have no idea way I uttered the words.  It was one of those thoughts that crosses one's mind that one knows to keep to themselves.  

Do you remember what you actually said?

I ask because many people...including myself...seem to have this memory of being in a class room and saying something that drew attention to ourselves but don't quite remember the setting or what we said.  But the memory is strong.

5 hours ago, Troy said:

@Delano have you ever done something and later ask yourself; "Why the hell did I do that?"  If so, were you always able to come up with an answer?

Yes but I am rarely impulsive. However most I have met Aries seem compelled to action.

I had a variation on that. I was having a cup of tea at the Brooklyn Moon Cafe sometime in the 90's I had thought why do you think you are always right. It occurred to me that I never thought I was wrong until events demonstrated the fallacy of that idea. So now I try to consider that I could be wrong even when I am certain that I am right

Part of my interests is that I like to know stuff including people and myself.