Did you know MLK’s mother was murdered in her church?

I never heard about this and I have visited

that church as well as MLK’s tomb which is

across the street from the church.

When I googled the topic of his mother’s

death, many of the results I saw read 

“forgotten, untold, and lost to history,” 

so it seems that this horrible tragedy 

is something most people are not

aware of.

It is a shame that an historic figure like

her couldn’t play a church organ without

being shot multiple times.

I knew they say she was killed either playing the piano or singing but I forgot exactly which one.

She was actually killed by a crazy Black dude.

A damn shame.

Both her and Dr. King's father should have been protected.
They should have had around the clock security at their church and residence for the rest of their lives, even BEFORE Dr. King was assasinated.

This wasn't just a failure on the part of the government to protect the family of a national figure, but it was also a failure of the AfroAmerican community for not properly protecting the family of one of our own iconic figures.

What happened to brother Malcolm's wife was just as bad if not worse.  I think she was burned to death by her own grandson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I did! But I'd forgotten about it because it was never well broadcasted and kept in the media.

That is shameful too, because the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is continually honored and therefore, the death of his mother should also be brought out too much more.

I remember reading about King on my own, and I learned some amazing history that is not mentioned in media. 

But then, after all of the hype about Obama, I noticed how, even King's legacy was silenced. I remember people wearing t-shirts with Obama and King pictured but then after Obama won, 'no more King'. He almost completely disappeared. Nevertheless, before Obama, the whole world knew of King, Malcolm and the Civil Rights Movement, and no matter what, that history will still surface. 

I hated the way, King was used to shift Black people over to support Obama. 

I knew MLK's mother was murdered.  i remember when it happened. i always thought it was peculiar that so little attention was given to this truly tragic event.  She seemed to have been a very innocuous figure in this famous family.  Never honored nor given a lot of attention.  This family was wracked by tragedy.  King's  oldest daughter, Yolanda, died  suddenly at 52 years old. And i believe his brother drowned.  None of these events which occurred after his death, ever garnered a lot of press coverage. Strange.  

• Like 1

I did remember hearing about someone closely connected to DMLK who drowned in their swimming pool but I wasn't exactly sure WHO it was so I decided not to mention it.
I thought it might have been Ralph Abernathy...but wasn't sure.

I kept thinking of Rodney King....since HE also drowned in his own pool, but I knew it wasn't him.

2 hours ago, Cynique said:

i always thought it was peculiar that so little attention was given to this truly tragic event.  She seemed to have been a very innocuous figure in this famous family.  Never honored nor given a lot of attention. 

Yes, this is what I don't understand -- why? Surely there is a reason.

I've updated my poll's stats.  People I have asked in the real world (all of whom I know are college educated, including myself and the person who told me): 0 knew and 6 did not know. 

@Mzuri, I too have visited the church and tomb.  I even heard Papa King and Coretta speak in person. 

Troy

Pappa King????   Lol....sounds like a pizza and burger joint combined.

Yes, this is what I don't understand -- why? Surely there is a reason.

Probably for the same reason the mainstream media doesn't talk about ML's brother being drowned or his young niece dying...
The family was being targeted and many in the media are complicit.

Neely Fuller Jr. said that "White Supremacy" is a gangster organization.

Most colleges available to the average person in the U.S. don't EDUCATE people...they merely TRAIN them.

In most cases...unless you take certain classes in philosophy...they don't teach people how to THINK for themselves or think critically and analytically.  They just prepare people for entry level work in a specific FIELD, how to meet deadlines, and how to follow instructions.

If you want to know true history...especially Black history...you usually have to do your own research like Henry Louis Gates; or pal around with some older people and ask them a bunch of questions.

Old Black folks are some of the BEST sources of history...if you can get them to talk about it....because they were around to see it themselves and are under no obligation to cover it up and lie about it.

image.jpeg.0f77d765f7a6a10b930158c71ced3553.jpeg

"They lyin'.....that ain't what happened.
I was there.  I saw it.
They wuz already handcuffed and on the ground
when they started beating and shooting 'em."

On 9/6/2021 at 10:49 AM, Cynique said:

None of these events which occurred after his death, ever garnered a lot of press coverage. Strange.  

I agree.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, Cynique said:

just recently King's 20 year old niece dropped dead while jogging. 

WOW!

On 9/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, Pioneer1 said:

they don't teach people how to THINK for themselves or think critically and analytically.  They just prepare people for entry level work in a specific FIELD, how to meet deadlines, and how to follow instructions.

True.