Black Authors and the Newbery List

Guest Jared Crossley

Guest Jared Crossley

Hi, I left this comment on the list, but I wasn't sure if it would be seen there, so I am copying here. 

This Newbery resource is really great! Thank you for compiling this information here. I did want to just point out what I believe is one omission though. It appears that this list doesn't have the book The Hundred Penny Box by Sharon Bell Mathis. This book received a Newbery Honor in 1976, and Sharon Bell Mathis is an African American author. Otherwise, great resource. Thanks!

Hi Jared,

I noticed your comment and updated the website accordingly -- thanks again for your diligence in ensuring the oversite was corrected!

Click for a larger image of The Hundred Penny Box

The Hundred Penny Box
by Sharon Bell Mathis, Illustrated by Leo & Diane Dillon

Book Description:
Michael loves his great-great-aunt Dew, even if she can’t always remember his name. He especially loves to spend time with her and her beloved hundred penny box, listening to stories about each of the hundred years of her life. Michael’s mother wants to throw out the battered old box that holds the pennies, but Michael understands that the box itself is as important to Aunt Dew as the memories it contains. Winner of a Newbery Honor, this beautiful story will be available in a collector’s edition featuring heavy interior stock embossing and silver ink on the cover, and a thread-sewn binding for added durability. A timeless story of the relationship between a boy and his elderly relative, this new edition is one that families young and old will treasure for years to come.

• Like 1