Why Black People Continue to Hold On To The One Drop Rule And Mixed People.

Guest anonymous50

Guest anonymous50

A lot of this is based off of state Representatives Ed Vaughn and Henry Stallings opinions back  in the '90s.

It increases black representation demographically and politically.  The more people who are considered black, the more unified the support of what is left of such causes like as equals rights, affirmative action, and voting rights since they are under attack by the Supreme Court and state Republican legislators across the country.

Many pro civil rights figures in the past have been light skinned such as State Representative Adam Clayton Powell Jr and Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall.  

Walter White, a man that could have  easily passed for white, was leader of the NAACP.  And of course, President Barack Obama was of mixed race descent.

A separate mixed race category would divide black families.  In many African American families, there are individuals who are dark skinned and those who are light skinned.  The ones that are fair skinned and more phenotypically mixed would want to leave the black category and join the mixed category. This would mean that there would possibly be sibling who would be of two different racial groups. Of course, this could still be the case in some interracial relationships where a white woman has a previous child by a white man and then has a child by a black man. The full white child is considered white and the mixed child is considered black.

Another reason why black would oppose a biracial classification is the fear that mixed black people would turn against the community. In America, the one drop rule forces mixed people to identify as black. But, this is not the case in other parts of the world. In South Africa, the mixed people(sometime known as the Cape Coloureds) are separated from the full blacks.  They try to identify as much as possible with their white ancestry. Many of them don't particularly care for tribal black people. In fact, during apartheid, some of them supported the National Party!! If American mulattoes did this many of them would be voting for Republicans. A similar situation exists on the island of Hispaniola(Haiti and The Dominican Republic).  There has always been tensions between these neighboring countries.  Most Haitians(except for the elites) are full black, very dark skinned, and associate very strongly with their African heritage. Dominicans, on the other hand, are mostly mulatto and identify with their colonial Spanish as well as other European influences. In Latin America(especially during the colonial years), if a mulatto or mestizo was light skinned, had a minimum of non European features as well as wealth and status, they were considered white..  They say that Haitians and even darker skinned Afro Dominicans are treated like second class citizens by Dominicans. The worst of their oppression came under the dictatorship of Rafael Trujillo, a name that still sends chills up many Dominican spines to this day. Under his regime, he encouraged European immigration to the DR to "whiten" the population.

Last, but not least, black men do not want to lose light skinned/mixed women. Most black men love mixed women.  We all know that a lot of high value black men, whether it be sports figures, entertainers, musicians, businessmen, politicians, etc are married to or dating light skinned women. The reason for this is that in Eurocentric American culture, light skin(since it is closer to white) is associated with status and achievement.  Dark skin is associated with poverty and struggle. In other words, light skinned or biracial women are black men's trophies. The slang terms for them are "high yellows," "redbones," "exxoticals."  If these women are no longer traditionally considered black, they won't feel obligated to be with a black man  and seek wealthier or higher quality men of other races.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Guest anonymous first thanks for posting!  You sound relatively young I'd guess late 20s early 30s.   The reason I say this is based on comments like this one: 

12 hours ago, Guest anonymous50 said:

Last, but not least, black men do not want to lose light skinned/mixed women. Most black men love mixed women.

I can understand why you might say this given the number of high profile Black men who marry "light skinned/mixed women," but to assume all men desire this based upon that is flawed.  I suspect more Black men marry women because of a variety of other characteristics like compatibility.

My main reason for saying this your opening statement about Black people "holding on" to the one-drop rule.  We don't hold on to anything we do not define this rule.  It was a rule white people created and imposed upon the rest of us to ensure white "racial" purity and to keep all Black people down -- no matter what they looked like.

I suspect most people, whose ancestors have been in this country for more than a couple hundred years, have some Black ancestry. We know most the the so called Black people who have been here that long have some white (European ancestry), which would make most us "mixed race." 

@Pioneer1 this is yet another reason we need to dispense with the artificial construct of "race." The ideas of a "mixed race" category and the "one-drop" rule are simply dumb at best and malicious at worse. 

Nothing about the European's creation of racial hierarchies based upon phenotypical characteristics, and America ingraining it into our culture, has ever benefited anyone -- other than white people -- and only a minority of them benefit.

• Like 1

I can say a lot on this subject but to be honest..........🙄

I'm getting up in age and I really don't care to waste a whole lot of words addressing an issue like this in detail for someone who will drop a post or two and you never hear from them again.

Troy

I don't ascribe to the "one drop" rule.

It's a stupid rule devised by the British to allow more people to be enslaved and keep the White race "pure" in the U.S.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, Pioneer1 said:

I can say a lot on this subject but to be honest..........🙄

I'm getting up in age and I really don't care to waste a whole lot of words addressing an issue like this in detail for someone who will drop a post or two and you never hear from them again.

Troy

I don't ascribe to the "one drop" rule.

It's a stupid rule devised by the British to allow more people to be enslaved and keep the White race "pure" in the U.S.

I agree.  Sign up and stop being anonymous since you can still be 

anonymous after you sign up.

@Pioneer1  You can still share your enlightened thoughts with 

the rest of us even if this anonymous person books up and never 

returns.

As to the one drop rule, why does it only apply to Blackness, why 

can't the one drop rule apply to whiteness, like if my great-great-

grandmother were white, why couldn't I be considered as a white

person?

Halle Berry believes in the one drop rule.  She is mulatto, had a

baby with a white man, the baby is a quadroon, but Halle says 

the child is Black. 

But if Halle wanted a Black child, why didn't she get impregnated

by a Black man instead of whitey?  She doesn't even make sense.  

• Thanks 1

Mzuri

You can still share your enlightened thoughts with 
the rest of us even if this anonymous person books up and never 
returns.

Comments like THAT make posting worthwhile...lol

As to the one drop rule, why does it only apply to Blackness, why 
can't the one drop rule apply to whiteness, like if my great-great-grandmother were white, why couldn't I be considered as a white person?

Actually in Spanish and Arab nations...IT DOES.

In British colonized nations like the U.S., Canada, and Jamaica...any Black ancestry got you labled Black...and any Native American ancestry got you labled Native American.
Which is why you have so many White looking people who STILL identity as Black or Native American in America through out history.

However in Spanish nations like Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Peru..if you had ANY Spanish ancestry..it got you labeled Spanish no matter how Black or Indian you looked.  
You no longer got labeld Negro or Indio...but Hispanic.

You weren't TREATED the same as the White Spaniard, but officially you were considered Spanish because of your Spanish ancestry.  Especially if that Spanish ancestor was a male.

This is one of the reasons a lot of Black Latinos don't identify with us as Black Americans.  Many consider themselves Spanish.
It's not necessarily their fault but the system they were raised in.

Halle Berry believes in the one drop rule.  She is mulatto, had a
baby with a white man, the baby is a quadroon, but Halle says 
the child is Black. 

Which I don't agree with.

Drake is the same way.
He is mixed himself and has a child with a White woman and is probably gonna call that child Black.

There children should be referred to as as QUADROONS (1/4 Black and 3/4 White)....not Black

See, this is what happened to many of the Native Americans.  
They're REAL Native ancestry kept getting drowned out by White blood to the point many of them are actually White with only 1/16th Native ancestry.

If you are only PART Black...in the words of Joe Biden...YOU AIN'T BLACK...in my opinion.

Plus don't leave out the NATIVE AMERICAN most AfroAmericans have in them to various degrees.

This is why I use the term "AfroAmerican".
It's an ethnic term that encompasses our various colors and combinations despite how we look..as long as you have African ancestry.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:15 PM, Guest anonymous50 said:

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I think this issue of the one-drop rule is based upon much deeper roots and goes much farther back in time.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:56 PM, Pioneer1 said:

yes. I agree.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:56 PM, Mzuri said:

But if Halle wanted a Black child, why didn't she get impregnated

by a Black man instead of whitey?  She doesn't even make sense.  

Ha! For real!

Race was a totally necessary construct under the system of white supremacy.  Otherwise, keeping track of human capital would be more problematic.

A huge component of maintaining power and control is keeping track of numbers which in the context of this thread is groups of people.

However, if/when we accept that there are only  two race of people...white and non-white, things will become a lot more clear. 😎