Plenty of People Sign Up, but Few Participate in These Forums

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

@Delano: I can dig that.  Very Zen...all about spaces and pauses...the impact and subtleness of silence...the sound of one hand clapping...reading between the lines,  The power of silence is a discipline i'm learning late in life.   it figures that you and Mel are on the same wave length.  i forgot that you 2 pronounced yourselves to be gemini twins. Mel and Del.   

At some point during Rona I decided to listen more to the stars. The first two readings it told me stop talking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Hello all.  I just discovered this forum a couple weeks ago. Very cool space brotha Troy has created👍

In that time, I've read through some of the topics to get a "lay of the land" especially among the most active participants. 😁

I'm glad to see the exchange of dialog; opinions and ideas shared here.   Hopefully, I can add my 2 cents as well. 😎

************************************************************************************

picgifs-welcome-2-216694.gif

@ProfD I am glad that you are here!!!

************************************************************************************

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

Hello all.  I just discovered this forum a couple weeks ago. Very cool space brotha Troy has created👍

In that time, I've read through some of the topics to get a "lay of the land" especially among the most active participants. 😁

I'm glad to see the exchange of dialog; opinions and ideas shared here.   Hopefully, I can add my 2 cents as well. 😎

Welcome aboard.  i'm curious about your screen name. You respire with professionalism. Is being a professor your profession?  There may be times when we will disagree on a subject but let me just say, what a pleasure it is to read the way you write, especially your smooth concise style and your grasp of what's relevant. What a breath of fresh air you have the promise to be!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ProfD said:

You have already become one of the most active participants. Charmed to have met you.

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

Welcome aboard.  i'm curious about your screen name. You respire with professionalism. Is being a professor your profession?  

Ever since I was a wee lad, family and friends have called me professor D (PD). I've always had some knowledge of and/or an opinion about everything. 😁

The PD thing has stuck with me through adulthood and even as a musician.

By profession, I'm civil servant (federal gov't). Whenever I decide to retire, I'll open a sports bar where I'll be able to talk about everything, cook and play music.

Thanks for the welcome all.  I'm not a social media guy. This is an awesome spot. Glad I found it. 😎

• Like 1

@Pioneer1

image.jpeg.ab9df54b6e70e7864f50ac2ce55b9131.jpeg

picgifs-omg-7143650.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nels said:

Sometimes people don't want to engage because they feel they'll be censored or attacked for thinking independent of the pack.

Troy/mods rarely censor and most of us are independent thinkers so that should not be 

an issue here.

15 hours ago, nels said:

Sometimes people don't want to engage because they feel they'll be censored or attacked for thinking independent of the pack.

That is usually the case in social media, but not AS much on most message boards....and definitely not the case here.

10 or 15 years ago I thought the message boards were too heavily censored and the moderators were on power trips.....but they PALE in comparison to the censorship and abuse of power that occurs in social media.  Not just from the owners of the platform, but even to the moderators of chat rooms.
As soon as they get a moderators-wrench in their hands....some people become DICTATORS and want to tell people what to say, when to say it, how to say it, and block them if they step out of line.

....which let's me know how they'd run a COUNTRY if they ever got into a position of power.

Cheers And Selfies With Kim Jong-Un Are Why We Can't Have Nice Things  [VIDEO] - Victory Girls Blog

@nels as @Mzuri wrote there is no group think and filter bubbles here. The opinions are as varied as the number of participants. 

If you want your world view consistently supported go to Facebook. If you can tolerate differing opinions stick around. 

Sometimes someone will write something and give me reason to rethink and even change an previously held opinion.

It is also cool when i can get a good laugh.

23 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

That is usually the case in social media, but not AS much on most message boards....and definitely not the case here.

yeah, but it is not so much the moderation that gets me. Is the algorithms that determine what you see which is the real problem. Purportedly they are used to serve you the contact you are most likely to appreciate, but the reality is they are designed to show you the content that is optimized to deliver the most advertisements. Any benefit or enjoyment we derive is purely incidental.

Imagine if @Cynique never saw @Pioneer1’s posts and @Delano only saw @Mel Hopkins and cyniques’s posts, and no one ever saw mine, and we all saw everything Trump and his detractors posted. That is not ideal, but that is social media today.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

Imagine if @Cynique never saw @Pioneer1’s posts and @Delano only saw @Mel Hopkins and cyniques’s posts, and no one ever saw mine, and we all saw everything Trump and his detractors posted. That is not ideal, but that is social media today.

People don’t even need to be on social media for that to happen.

I was talking to a friend a couple of weeks ago and he said he only

watches CNN.  When I told him he needs to change the channel 

every once in awhile the first thing he said was he’s not watching 

Fox.  It was like talking to your grandmother who only watches

CBS on the antenna television. 

You can actually get news from Fox and the other channels that I

watch, but every time I check CNN they’re still covering Trump or

some other propaganda, like that is all people are interested in.

I don’t know about other people but I am interested in getting some

actual news like the train wreck or the economy and maybe a little 

weather.  Not what the China controlled media wants me to know.

It’s like the people have been brainwashed and this should not be 

happening with all the access to information we have now.

Mzuri

To be honest with you I've been disappointed with CNN since 2016...especially with all of the coverage they gave Trump during his run for the Presidency and during it.

I'm convinced that CNN is the main reason he got in office, with all of the coverage they gave him.

And even when he was IN office, although most of the coverage of Trump was negative....it still was coverage.  And all CNN did with so much negative coverage of Trump was energize and strengthen his base.

Now that Trump is out of office (I guess...lol) CNN has turned to a NEW boogie-man to focus on...the un-vaxxed.  They have been pushing so much propaganda concerning this Pandemic that they are no more credible than Fox News at this point.  I can't believe half of what they say.

As I told ProfD.....
It's getting to the point that so many lies and mind-games are being played to manipulate people that the ONLY way for Black people to find out the truth is for us to actually go and find out the truth for ourselves and report it accurately.
We can't trust Fox, CNN, CBS, or any other mainstream source.

If there's anything good about social media, it allows amateurs to record and pass along live events as they actually happen.
Atleast if you see a video of an event being tweeted....you can pretty much be sure that it actually happened.
But you better catch it BEFORE they take it down or it gets into the editing room of one of the major news outlets!
Once THEY get ahold of the video and the story...it's over.
You won't recognize it.

Champaign News Anchor Dave Benton Passes Away | Illinois Public Media News  | Illinois Public Media

"And now an update on the school shooting we reported to you last week.
WCIA reported that 53 students were killed and 76 seriously injured when
3 students opened fire on their high school last Tuesday.
Well we've received some new information to pass along....
As it turns out, only 2 students were actually killed, 9 were wounded, and only
one suspect was taken into custody.
Oh..and it wasn't at a school, but at a nearby funeral home.
Oh..and the 2 students killed, were already dead.

In other news.....
Scientists have discovered that  25 feet of social distancing with a mask on seems
to work better than 6 feet without a mask in preventing the spread of the virus. 
German researchers made this discovery while-------"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Man, I've always wanted to know who in the h8ll cuts Lil Kim's (pictured above) hair.😁😎

That fool looks like he cuts his own hair, doesn’t he? That silly style looks like a 

chili-bowl haircut soldiers used to give each other back in the day.  He probably 

cannot get a barber since they all know he would execute them if they mess up.  

Or he killed them all, already. And he probably can’t trust anybody with a razor. 

Being a dictator isn’t easy.

image.gif.6330195c93856f2a04a2702b33c128c1.gif

55 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Mzuri

To be honest with you I've been disappointed with CNN since 2016...especially with all of the coverage they gave Trump during his run for the Presidency and during it.

I'm convinced that CNN is the main reason he got in office, with all of the coverage they gave him.

And even when he was IN office, although most of the coverage of Trump was negative....it still was coverage.  And all CNN did with so much negative coverage of Trump was energize and strengthen his base.

Now that Trump is out of office (I guess...lol) CNN has turned to a NEW boogie-man to focus on...the un-vaxxed.  They have been pushing so much propaganda concerning this Pandemic that they are no more credible than Fox News at this point.  I can't believe half of what they say.

As I told ProfD.....
It's getting to the point that so many lies and mind-games are being played to manipulate people that the ONLY way for Black people to find out the truth is for us to actually go and find out the truth for ourselves and report it accurately.
We can't trust Fox, CNN, CBS, or any other mainstream source.

I used to keep my television on CNN just about 24/7 because I like to stay informed

about the news but I lost interest when the fairies announced that they were gay.  

It didn’t make me any difference, and I don’t care about people’s private lives, it 

just seemed odd that they felt the need to tell people what they already knew.

I’m not sure if I posted these links before, I have so much going on lately my mind

is gone sometimes.  BTW The NP is a reliable news source.

China’s Bot Army Incited ‘Racial Injustice’ Protests In America, CNN Admits

REVEALED: Chinese Communists Subsidized Trips For Western Journalists for Over 25 Years – CNN, NPR, WaPo, NYT, Reuters, ABC, NBC & More

REVEALED: China’s State Propaganda Group Boasts Control Over Western Think Tanks, ‘Election Integrity’ Groups, And Even Joe Biden’s National Security Team

There’s more.

image.gif.8a5f4fb7d85e38949ad3d171dc1246b5.gif

I torture myself in that CNN is still the main news channel I watch. It's a guilty indulgence since I don’t watch reality crap like Love & Hip-Hop (pick a city). 

I can count on CNN to continue talking about Agent Orange, January 6th, pandemic, vax, dysfunctional politicians and the missing now dead white woman and still missing boyfriend dude. 

However, in my quest to stay informed, I check in with Black News channel, FOX, MSNBC, OAN, Newsmax, BBC, etc. I also read various news publications. 

Having ONE source of news doesn't provide a complete picture of how white supremacy is sustained. They use everything to spin narratives in oder to keep people dazed and confused. 

Anybody who's ever written a paper above grade school knows that it requires using multiple sources. News should be the same way.

As mentioned at the top of this thread, few people have the bandwidth to read and think for themselves. If *they* said it, then it must be true.

That reminds me of folks who go to church religiously but their Bible looks brand new. Don't get me started on that one source of information. 😁😎

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I torture myself in that CNN is still the main news channel I watch. It's a guilty indulgence since I don’t watch reality crap like Love & Hip-Hop (pick a city). 

I can count on CNN to continue talking about Agent Orange, January 6th, pandemic, vax, dysfunctional politicians and the missing now dead white woman and still missing boyfriend dude. 

I think it’s fine to watch CNN if it’s entertaining and as long as people are aware

that they aren’t getting real news from there.

I get my news from various sources as well.  I like aggregates like Drudge and

GoogleNews, and online sources such as Daily Mail, Sky, Reuters, AP, and others. 

On TV I like KTLA, NewsMax, RAV (War Room), Fox, C-SPAN, etc.

I love the Diamond and Silk Show, Smackdown with Darryl Scott, Ringside Politics, 

and if any of them start droning on about anything, I change the channel or delete

the recording.  

I find it ironic that one has to go to foreign news sources in order to find out what 

is really going on in the U.S.A.

picgifs-flowers-211918.gif

Mzuri

I find it ironic that one has to go to foreign news sources in order to find out what 
is really going on in the U.S.A.

I recognized this as a kid growing up in Detroit where we could get Canadian television stations on the antenna back in the day, lol.

While nudity is STILL not allowed on U.S. broadcast television to this very day; they were showing nudity on Canadian television as far back as the 70s.
And if you lived close enough to the Canadian border in places like Detroit you'd also get news on the CBC (Canada's government channel) that you couldn't get on American stations.

They generally showed news UNCENSORED and you got more of the truth than you got from U.S. news.

Ofcourse that was in the days when most of the televisions had the 2 nobs and the rabbit ears you could twirl around to pick up signals.

All the kids would be scattered across the floor watching the t.V. and the older people would be sitting on the couches making them get up and change the channels, lol.

Cable and digital put an end to most of that.

When I went to Europe I noticed the same thing.
More nudity on their television stations, less violence, and more uncensored news.

• Like 1