Ears over Eyes

As a musician, this is near and dear to me. I've always felt that music has the power to heal the world. Prince was a genius. 

Lately, I've been binge listening to the late brotha Gil Scott-Heron:

Despite his personal struggles, amazing how prophetic this poet was with his pen, voice and musicianship. 

I'm a keyboard player, so brotha Brian Jackson's work with Gil was sublime. 😎

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cynique said:

Really starting to appreciate what a great alternative to words music can be.  

************************************************************************************

Mr. Prince was good for the ears and the eyes.  

prince50.jpg.be39a621907a93a177dab081b3e3fcfe.jpg

************************************************************************************

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mzuri said:

Mr. Prince was good for the ears and the eyes.  

Image-wise Prince was an anomaly. He was a beautiful, heterosexual dude who flirted with androgeny. I'd imagine he indirectly inspired girly boys to be free to express themselves. 

But, by all accounts  Prince was totally secure in his manhood. The high-heeled boots and blouses he wore did not define him. 

Nonetheless, Prince was a phenomenal talent. He's definitely among an elite class of documented musicians to have shown up on the planet. 😎

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Image-wise Prince was an anomaly. He was a beautiful, heterosexual dude who flirted with androgeny. I'd imagine he indirectly inspired girly boys to be free to express themselves. 

But, by all accounts  Prince was totally secure in his manhood. The high-heeled boots and blouses he wore did not define him. 

Nonetheless, Prince was a phenomenal talent. He's definitely among an elite class of documented musicians to have shown up on the planet. 😎

Mr. Prince was gorgeous to look at but he was too small for me.  

I like Mandingo warrior types, 6 feet, 250+ lbs, and dark.

ProfD

I agree with your assessment that he "flirted" with androgyny. 
He was heterosexual but he acted so feminine in his demeanor that a lot of people assumed he was gay.

Cynique & Mzuri

I can respect Prince as a talented artist, but as far as him being sexy....I must ask you two ladies....what was so sexy about that man?

Mzuri you mentioned you like a particular skin tone.
My issue with Prince isn't his skin tone, but his overall physique, demeanor, and his hair.

I remember back in the 80s where it was a thing between who was the best artist...between Michael Jackson and Prince.

Why in the WORLD would a heterosexual woman find a man who ACT like a woman, attractive?

Minister Farrakhan broke it down excellently in the first few minutes of this clip when it criticized Prince:

How many Asian women are jumping up and down clapping for Asian men who act like women?
How many Latina women are clapping and peeing on themselves for Latino men who act like women?

Hell...how many White women do you see doing this??

The ONLY women deranged enough to find men skipping around  on stage in "frilly things" attractive is a few of the AfroAmerican women who have been conditioned NOT to seek masculinity in their men but "prettiness".

There's a lot to be said about the state of our community when a petite "pretty" man is considered attractive by so many of our women.

• Thanks 1

@ProfDYes, Prince was a true wunderkind - the likes of whom will not come this way again.  I am familiar with spoken-word poet and social activist, Gil Scott Heron, from way back; another tortured genius who left us too soon.  Did you, by any chance, watch the recently aired "Lovecraft Country"  on HBO?  One of Gil's cuts, "Whitey on the Moon", was featured on the soundtrack of this miniseries.  What is your music genre?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cynique said:

@ProfDYes, Prince was a true wunderkind - the likes of whom will not come this way again.  I am familiar with spoken-word poet and social activist, Gil Scott Heron, from way back; another tortured genius who left us too soon.  Did you, by any chance, watch the recently aired "Lovecraft Country"  on HBO?  One of Gil's cuts, "Whitey on the Moon", was featured on the soundtrack of this miniseries.  What is your music genre?

I've heard of "Lovecraft Country" but never watched it.

However, Im glad to read that Gil & Brian's music still lives. Hard to believe those cats were late teens/early 20s when they created their best work. 

The music I play would sound like funky Jazz to the average listener but in DC we call it Go-Go music.

As a music listener, it's a little bit of everything because when I'm in composer mode, inspiration can come from any sound(s). 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Cynique & Mzuri

I can respect Prince as a talented artist, but as far as him being sexy....I must ask you two ladies....what was so sexy about that man?

Mzuri you mentioned you like a particular skin tone.
My issue with Prince isn't his skin tone, but his overall physique, demeanor, and his hair.

I said he was gorgeous to look at and that he was too small for me.  

I never even said he was sexy.  

But he had that swagger, the way he wore his clothes, his hats, and

his cute little high-heeled shoes.

Why are you so jealous?  

Just BOTHERED!!!

prince39.gif.478b278d3e2d858fb7743cbe82a112a9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delano said:

Prince may have been bi during his early years. 

Pardon my comedic mind but that reads like he was gay "a little bit" or once upon a time.😁

Of course, I have no proof whatsoever but despite the way he "looked", I don't believe that dude had a temporary or permanent membership in the alphabet soup crew. 😎

Prince is really the effeminate "sexually ambiguous man" the music industry DESIGNATED to take the place of Little Richard after he got older and less influential.

image.jpeg.f8a091b9c573f2a59aff1c62ec1a1012.jpeg  The Artist Forever Known As Prince : Black Box

Yeah...the players might change...but the game is still the same.

Mzuri

Why are you so jealous? 

Because I'm a man.

If we didn't take a keen interest in who YALL were interested in and get jealous from time to time....any Tom, Dick, or PRINCE could come skipping up into the house and snatch you away and we wouldn't care. 

Male jealousy is the DRIVE that motivates and stimulates.

Male jealousy sparks ambition and is often leads to invention.

😴 What a boring and undeveloped world this would be if men never got jealous of eachother...lol

4 hours ago, Mzuri said:

I like Mandingo warrior types, 6 feet, 250+ lbs, and dark.

Why do you think that is?

Old school Farrakhan. I wonder if he would be so harsh today? I think he got it wrong though. Women appreciated Prince’s music more than his looks. In fact, it did not matter what Prince looked like.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Male jealousy sparks ambition and is often leads to invention.

What have you invented Jealous Edison?

13 minutes ago, Troy said:

Prince’s music more than his looks. In fact, it did not matter what Prince looked like

I heard a panel discussion about Prince that Toure hosted. One of the panelist said Prince begs from a position of strength.

Power has always been attractive.

Not true. Tyka Nelson said Prince felt short changed because his brother was handsome and tall. Which was a line in the Song Lady Cab Driver. So she asked him would he rather be handsome and tall or play music. She said he never brought it up again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Troy said:

Why do you think that is?

Old school Farrakhan. I wonder if he would be so harsh today? I think he got it wrong though. Women appreciated Prince’s music more than his looks. In fact, it did not matter what Prince looked like.

Why?

I'm 5'4" and I like my man to be bigger than me.

I haven't given it much thought but don't we all have a type.

That we prefer?

I never said anything about Prince being "sexy". This was something  that pioneer implied so that so he could try to make a point that had no merit. Let the record show that I liked Prince's music but he was not my romantic fantasy; more like a rebellious son with a Napoleonic complex.

When it comes to "types", people like who they like, and there's no accounting for taste...   

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:26 PM, Mzuri said:

I’m 5'4" and I like my man to be bigger than me.

That response was not what I expected. You wrote, “Mandingo warrior types, 6 feet, 250+ lbs, and dark.“ At 5’4”, Most men are bigger that you. Your type would seemingly exclude the youthful Denzel Washington and Marvin Gaye.

But as Cinque’s wrote, people have the types they like, and it all good to me, But I think I’m more along the line of Del’s response, “Woman.” Let’s start there then go to on to personality… Cause it don’t matter how fine a sister of she if is kray-kray.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Troy said:

That response was not what I expected. You wrote, “

Mandingo warrior types, 6 feet, 250+ lbs, and dark.“ At 5’4”, Most men are bigger that you. Your type would seemingly exclude the youthful Denzel Washington and Marvin Gaye.

But as Cinque’s wrote, people have the types they like, and it all good to me, But I think I’m more along the line of Del’s response, “Woman.” Let’s start there then go to on to personality… Cause it don’t matter how fine a sister of she if is kray-kray.

@Troy

You would think that most men are taller than me.  Prince was 5'3" so he wasn't. 

When I'm dressed and out and about, I'm normally wearing 3-4 inch heels so then 

I'm 5'7" to 5'8" and I have met lots of men who aren't very tall at all.  You probably

don't even pay attention to people's height and BTW the average height of a

U.S. male is 5'9"

Obviously personality is an important factor.  Who wants to be with someone who 

isn't kind and considerate.  If I were on the prowl, there are numerous factors that

I'd take into consideration and that would come first.  

Please don't try to tell us that you would accept any woman as long as she's fine

and not crazy.  I'll bet you have a list of criteria as long as your arm.  And I know 

that you have your choice of women.  

rose27.gif.a4a001c2c0d589c432809313651978cf.gif