Can Black People Go 5 Minutes Without Music? (15 years later)

Written more than 15 years ago, “Can Black People Go 5 Minutes Without Music?” remains one of my most popular Blog posts.

It is also one of my most popular conversations on AALBC that is not on this discussion forum: https://aalbc.com/blog/index.php/2006/07/09/can-black-people-go-5-minutes-without-music/#disqus_thread it got 31 comments in the past year.  Which is more than I got when I first made the blog post.

All of the traffic came from search and I'm not sure what is responsible for the increase.  Are Black people increasingly blasting music? Id does seems like some of the respondents are racist, but what would you expects with the subject line I chose...

I know here in Tulsa it is not uncommon for white folks to be blasting music from cars, in the park, on their bikes, or just walking down a trail. Usually it is a guy.  Women rarely do this: I wonder why?

I think the availability of these big-ass blue tooth speakers is part of the reason.  Fortunately I'm not in a situation where I'm constantly being assaulted by someone blasting music.

in a non-party situation (bar, club, auditorium, etc.), IMO, loud music is an opiate  that allows folks to drown out their own thoughts and problems.  Loud music also keeps folks from having to maintain a constructive dialog among themselves. 😎

• Thanks 1

I don't mind people listening to music; but all that rocking and ducking and head bouncing and throwing your hands in every direction that so many younger folks do in public is EMBARRASSING.

You drive down the street and see a young brutha with a bushy head of hair, a wild look in his eyes, and a crazy grin on his face RAPPING to himself and tossing his hands around like a fool.

How many other youth do you see doing this besides AfroAmerican youth?

I was in a restaurant the other day getting some take-out and didn't even want to sit on the customers bench because it was a young couple sitting on it...BOTH of them looked like they were over 300 pounds.
Both of them had pants on too small for them and the dude had half his ass and crack snuggled up against the couch.
And BOTH of them were bouncing and rocking to whatever the hell they were listening to.

First HE started listening and acted a fool bouncing and rocking and working his hands...then took one ear-piece from his crusty ear and gave it to HER and then SHE started bouncing and rocking from side to side.
Every 30 seconds or so they would grunt out a lyric or two to whatever they were listening to.

They both were keeping rhythm together.....I'll give them that much.
Bouncing, rocking, and acting a fool  at the same time with the same moves.

I didn't want to get close to them.
I didn't even want to SMELL them.

It's as if most youth have no more sense of shame or awareness.
When I was a teen SOME young people didn't have this, but today it seems as if MOST people under 40 don't have this and will do anything that pops into their mind anywhere no matter who's looking.

By the way ProfD....she was in PAJAMA BOTTOMS, lol.

14 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't mind people listening to music; but all that rocking and ducking and head bouncing and throwing your hands in every direction that so many younger folks do in public is EMBARRASSING.

I was in a restaurant the other day getting some take-out and didn't even want to sit on the customers bench because it was a young couple sitting on it...BOTH of them looked like they were over 300 pounds.

I didn't want to get close to them.
I didn't even want to SMELL them.

It's as if most youth have no more sense of shame or awareness.

When I was a teen SOME young people didn't have this, but today it seems as if MOST people under 40 don't have this and will do anything that pops into their mind anywhere no matter who's looking.

By the way ProfD....she was in PAJAMA BOTTOMS, lol.

Unfortunately, a by-product of us getting older is a selective form of amnesia.  As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. 

The times are different and the players have changed but younger folks have been doing some type of dysfunctional sh8t for a long time. 

Granted, the violence, lack of shame and self-respect seems to have increased.  Again, it's just been a slow decline.

But, I vividly remember my peers being just as ignorant and uncouth.  They are the proud parents and/or grandparents of the current generation.

So, I"m as equally heavy handed in preaching to my peers who's offspring are ignorant, spoiled, selfish and don't give a f8ck about life. 

My message is always the same to our people...we have do better in terms of accountability  if we expect to replace the sysem of white supremacy with a system of justice and correctness.

Pioneer, you know that weighing in it at 300 lbs and breaking a drug law (azz Crack possession), those two crash dummies and especially the pajama bottoms definitely stank😁😎

41 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

ProfD

Had the entire restaurant lobby smelling like rotten cheese and burnt rubber with a whiff of dank indo smoke.

Yeah bro, that level of pungent toxicity would have led me to reconsider my food order in that establishment.😁 😎

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Not a chance...I LOVE my corned beef sandwiches...lol

I'm not gonna let a pair of buffalo butts run ME up out the spot.

Understood. A man's gotta do what he must for a favorite sammich.😁

Hopefully,  the mask mandate is still in effect in Michigan so that while you could smell a quarter ton o'fun, maybe that pungent toxicity didn’t get into your lungs.

I'm not much a bread eater. So, when I cook corned beef, it's usually with cabbage. 😎