Lee Daniels' TV Show 'Our Kind of People'

Re: https://www.theroot.com/our-kind-of-people-is-a-treasure-trove-of-good-writing-1847768924

IMO, regarding Lee Daniels' TV series on Fox called Our Kind of People, the series sucks.  It's contrived erratic dialogue that drives the convoluted story line and disjointed interaction between skin color-sensitive upper-crusters and wannabees, appears to make them all come across as phony unrealistic achievers. Nearly the entire cast looks like it was assembled to mimic a geographically incorrect fake Redbone-fluid high society, burdened by the insecurity of their own existence and racial identity.  Being or being perceived or classified as black, looks like it is preventing nearly the entire cast from being themselves. In closing, as it stands right now, the show is a bust and it's not worth the time it takes to literally open one's eyes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nels said:

IMO, regarding Lee Daniels' TV series on Fox called Our Kind of People, the series sucks. 

In closing, as it stands right now, the show is a bust and it's not worth the time it takes to literally open one's eyes.

Interesting perspective.  The show is not something I would watch but I know folks who are tuned in and enjoying it. 

Based on your description of the show, i'm not surprised that some black folks would dig it.  Escapism under the guise of entertainment. 😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nels said:

In closing, as it stands right now, the show is a bust and it's not worth the time it takes to literally open one's eyes.

************************************************************************************

@nels

Thank you for this.

I have seen the commercials for this show and it did not interest

me, but I still had the feeling that I might have been missing out

on something good.  

The latest promo looks like a couple of women are competing for

the same man.  How lame can you get.

Lee Daniels and the rest of his ilk are just churning out garbage,

trying to get paid, instead of giving Black people some much

needed quality entertainment. 

All the Tyler Perry shows have storylines that have been done 

before, as well.

Most of this stuff is a snooze fest. 

image.gif.b05fef28d3e6760b4f9376c41adcdba5.gif

************************************************************************************

1 hour ago, Mzuri said:

before, as well.

These n8gglets have something in common as members of the alphabet soup community.  They are heavily backed by big money.

As a result, they are given the green light to produce high fructose corn syrup content aimed at black folks that is nothing more than ocular diabetes. 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mzuri said:

@nels

Thank you for this.

I have seen the commercials for this show and it did not interest

me, but I still had the feeling that I might have been missing out

on something good.  

The latest promo looks like a couple of women are competing for

the same man.  How lame can you get.

before, as well.

image.gif.b05fef28d3e6760b4f9376c41adcdba5.gif

Understood, Mzuri. Yes, I was expecting more too, but was very disappointed to see the same tired playbook repeat itself. Lee Daniels, Tyler Perry, Spike Lee and the rest of them have the capacity to step out of the mold and exercise bold black intellect. Instead, they fall back to the position of feeding eager-to-learn hungry black minds with minstrel-like performances and insulting visual and emotional caricatures and actions that further dehumanize the potential value that black America has to offer and has previously delivered.

As a supplemental reference, black Hollywood is chronically being used and manipulated by an entertainment industry oligarchy that could care less about the challenges of a still struggling black America, or any other group for that matter. Sadly, black Hollywood itself, seems to consist mostly of people who wouldn’t be caught dead shaking the hand of the average Joe or Jane - - - e.g., having lunch with you would definitely be out of the question.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

n8gglets

"n8gglets"... You ought to trademark that. On spot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, this week, I managed to watch an episode of this show.  It does contain the typical escapism i.e. blacks folks doing white people sh8t.

Sure enough, the alphabet soup community has managed to infuse themselves in it too.  Beautiful young black sistas who are being cast...a, b, c, d, e, f, g.... 

Again, I'm not surprised considering who's behind the show.  Sad.  😎

• Like 1

Oh no...more brainwashing and promoting the agenda.

But at some point I'm going to have to look at the Negroes who are willing to do this for a pay check.

Most of them claim to be Christian and the Bible THEY believe in clearly condemns not only homosexuality but I believe it also condemns men dressing up like women.
I know it condemns feminine acting men.

So Black people are going to have to decide where do they get their morality from..........the religions they preach, or Caucasians.

• Like 1

When I heard "Our Kind Of People" I thought of the late author Lawrence Otis Graham who did a book on the Black Upper class and it's various sectors:

image.jpeg.b6d073eb9c4bc0e3682b7ebae4bceeca.jpeg

I don't know too many "Upper class" Black people...not personally.

I know a few who I've worked with politically and socially but not in intimate settings like dating, going to country clubs, and social functions.

13 minutes ago, Cynique said:

I want some good ol trashy melodrama to amuse me. 

Netflix is probably the best place to start. Between the search engine and  categorization of programming and recommended viewing  based on habits, it will provide a list of content matching the criteria.😎

3 minutes ago, ProfD said:

s probably the best place to start. Between the search engine and  categorization of programming and recommended viewing  based on habits, it will provide a list of content matching the criteria.

@ProfDWhy go through all that trouble when all i have to do is  watch "Our Kind of People"????

17 minutes ago, Cynique said:

@ProfDWhy go through all that trouble when all i have to do is  watch "Our Kind of People"????

Surely, no need for Netflix if that particular TV show ticks all of the boxes.I just provided an alternative if it doesn't.😎

12 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Surely, no need for Netflix if that particular TV show ticks all of the boxes.I just provided an alternative if it doesn't.

@ProfDTalk about "unsolicited advice". Not to worry. "Our Kind of People" will be added to my diversified watch list. 

13 hours ago, Delano said:

@Cynique check out American Gods

This one looks like it may be interesting Del.  I will definitely check it out.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't know too many "Upper class" Black people.

I'm not sure there are any "upper class" Black people in America it is more than a function of wealth.    

But in terms of wealth relative to the Black masses like me -- there are plenty of upper class Black folks. I've had a brush with a few.  None of whom I could call a friend. It is if we could not be friends, as I can't "roll" with them since I can't afford to do what they do or go where they go. Plus they have to be careful about who they open up to since people would try to take advantage of them.

There are not many opportunities for Black people of different classes to mingle.  This is an issue that has gotten worse since integration (I believe).

I did not know that Lawrence Otis Graham died until I read Pioneer's post. He was younger than I am now when he passed.  A quick search did not reveal the cause of his untimely death.

Troy

I'm not sure there are any "upper class" Black people in America it is more than a function of wealth. 

Well you have 3 upper classes:

Aristocrat (wealthy)
Rich
Professional 

You definitely have Black people in the Rich and Professional classes.
Byron Allen and Oprah are clear examples.

Aristocracy....I'm not to sure.
Usually you don't hear about them and you don't see their faces on television or in magazines.

You don't know who they are unless they WANT you to know!

But in terms of wealth relative to the Black masses like me -- there are plenty of upper class Black folks. I've had a brush with a few.  None of whom I could call a friend. It is if we could not be friends, as I can't "roll" with them since I can't afford to do what they do or go where they go.

😆Stop clowning Negro...YOU'RE part of the Upper Classes yourself, lol.

You're clearly part of the Professional Class.
You and Mel.
I'm not sure about Cynique or Del.

I don't know about your finances but your education and career field automatically puts you in that class atleast.

Your academic career and literary career puts you in close proximity with  plenty of other Upper Class Black folks.

Professors Launch Initiative to Push For More Black Male Teachers   image.jpeg.7d2e1f438c852b1cebfcb5d8bff469b0.jpeg

Plus they have to be careful about who they open up to since people would try to take advantage of them.

Some of those people might be me, lol.

Because if I had a rich friend I'd be trying to get all kinds of favors from him/her.

Not just seeking financial favors, but social and political connections as well.

However the favors I asked for wouldn't be the typical "mooching" type where you just lay around asking for money; they'd be more "strategic" where I'm constantly setting up business meetings or events for Black empowerment.

There are not many opportunities for Black people of different classes to mingle.  This is an issue that has gotten worse since integration (I believe).

Facts.

This has also lead to increased animosity between wealthy Black people and working class/poor Black people.
Not just the friction that comes from being less off, but because of integration - most wealthy Black folks have moved to Caucasian areas and have adopted much of THEIR cultural habits.
....which automatically sets them at odds with the more traditionally cultured poor and working class AfroAmericans.

There are some Black folks who let their kids kiss dogs now...lol
That was a DEFINITE "no no" in nearly all Black households when I was a kid, despite their income.
Letting dogs sleep in the same bed with them was UNHEARD OF in the old Black communities despite financial status.

A quick search did not reveal the cause of his untimely death.

He might have exposed too many secrets.

14 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

He might have exposed too many secrets.

That thought occurred to me.

The best a Black person can really do is upper middle class. A level I have never reached.  These folks have trust funs setup for their children -- i.e. they will never have to work a day in their lives and enjoy generational wealth.  They attend private schools. Their parents, grand parents, and even great grand parents are educated.  They enjoy legacy admission to Ivy league schools. 

A middle class person can not see a penny of income, for at least 6 months, and it will not impact their lifestyle one iota. They live in safe clean neighborhoods, go on a nice vacation every year, may have a 2nd home, money is not a source of stress. They will pass on wealth to their children.

A lower middle class person is essentially living paycheck to paycheck, but can consistently supply their basic requirements.  Extravagances like private college education and two week foreign vacation is out of reach. 

A lower class person struggles to meet living required living expenses like housing or food. These are the folks who get evicted and have homes foreclosed, they have cars reposed, have bad credit scores, and no saving, etc.  Too many people, in a country as wealthy as ours, are in this situation.

*These are Troy's definitions and like most things their is some overlap, for example, some lower class people will have good credit scores.

I've spent most of my life between lower middle and middle class.

• Thanks 1

Troy

I know you made it clear that these were YOUR definitions but I'd still like to banter with them for the sake of discussion.

The best a Black person can really do is upper middle class. A level I have never reached.  These folks have trust funs setup for their children -- i.e. they will never have to work a day in their lives and enjoy generational wealth.  They attend private schools. Their parents, grand parents, and even great grand parents are educated.  They enjoy legacy admission to Ivy league schools. 

The people you describe above are in the rich category in my opinion.
To me.."rich" starts at a worth of $15 million depending on age and other expenses.

These are successful large business owners and/or as you said recipients of generational wealth.
And if they're Black usually:
Entertainers.
Athletes.
Politicians who got paid off, lol.

A middle class person can not see a penny of income, for at least 6 months, and it will not impact their lifestyle one iota. They live in safe clean neighborhoods, go on a nice vacation every year, may have a 2nd home, money is not a source of stress. They will pass on wealth to their children.

Now THIS is what I call the "Professional Class" or "Upper Middle Class"
They still depend on income for a living.

At the higher end of it you have your doctors, high powered lawyers, professors, state politicians, average business owners, ect...

At the lower end will be computer programmers,  engineers, local politicians, teachers most lawyers, ect....

They have to work for a living to maintain their lifestyle but they're still better off than the average person financially.

Most have a college education with a Master's degree or higher.
Except for the business owners.

A lower middle class person is essentially living paycheck to paycheck, but can consistently supply their basic requirements.  Extravagances like private college education and two week foreign vacation is out of reach. 

I agree.
This is the LOWER middle class or what I call the WORKING CLASS.
This is the environment I grew up in btw...lol

Factory workers, postal workers nurses, cops, ect....
Most have little or no college education.

A lower class person struggles to meet living required living expenses like housing or food. These are the folks who get evicted and have homes foreclosed, they have cars reposed, have bad credit scores, and no saving, etc.  

Yeah
This is the POOR.

What's been happening for the past 40 years is a lot of people have been shifting from Working Class to POOR.

And then below these are the DESTITUTE

Homeless, living with friends and relatives, chronically institutionalized, ect...

Since 2008 millions have shifted from POOR to straight up DESTITUTE.

Sure we can horse trade on definitions.🙂

I would not put "Factory workers, postal workers nurses, cops,.." into lower middle class or working class because of a lack of college education. 

Education level is often confused with class.  Sure they are highly correlated, but not a condition of one's class.  In fact the people you mentioned, nurses and the like, in an earlier era were the foundation of the Black middle class.

8 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

To me.."rich" starts at a worth of $15 million depending on age and other expenses.

Well keep in mind there is also a mentality associated with class. $15 million can be easily, and quickly, squandered by someone with a low class mentality. Many lottery millionaires and professional athletes have ended up bankrupted for this reason.

There are plenty of people who grew up poor but become middle and even upper middle class because of their mentality.  Of course they probably have to work harder than anyone else -- especially if they are Black.

My lower class mentality, as it impacted financial decisions has impact me my entire life.  I can see the same impact in others with my background. 

4 hours ago, Cynique said:

@ Del: is this show on anything other than You Tube? Actually it looks like the same ol same ol.  I want some good ol trashy melodrama to amuse me. 

Yes i believe it is on Hulu. On the surface it is a story about the war between Gods of the Old World and the New. It has magic, sex and the main character is a person of colour. It is not trashy. I happen to also like the Book. 

2 hours ago, Troy said:

This one looks like it may be interesting Del.  I will definitely check it out.

I tend to be attracted to difference.

@Troy you strike me as Professional but you have working class sensibility. I remember the 80's was the rise of the Yuppies and the Buppies. So while you have the education and a business you don't have the mindset. I have had the opportunity to meet the entire spectrum. There isn't really that much difference, just what an individual consumes. The category that may become more interesting in the future are the people with a spiritual focus and ownership.

15 minutes ago, Delano said:

I have had the opportunity to meet the entire spectrum. There isn't really that much difference, just what an individual consumes.

When you write "consumes" what do you mean?  Information?

15 minutes ago, Delano said:

The category that may become more interesting in the future are the people with a spiritual focus and ownership.

Now there is an idea.  That class would transcend race, wealth, education, and income.  No one would go hungry or unseen.  People can be their true selves.  Imagine.

25 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

If you have a patio with pelicans dancing around in your back yard....YOU SIR...are in the Upper Middle Class, lol

Pelicans Sandhill Cranes are a function of living in Florida not class. 😉

LOL!  These guys are pretty quite.  They only do that when threatened. Yeah they do sound like the Teradactyls from the Jonny Quest cartoon.   I feed them, and they will eat right out your hand.  I've see hawks pluck fish out of the water and carry they away to a tree. There are an amazing array of birds.  I saw a bird (I have no idea what kind of bird).  Fly into the pond, stay under longer than I could how my breath and come out some distance away and fly off!  Now I knew fish could fly, but I never knew birds could swim!

There are alligators in the water, fox, deer, rabbit, turtles, snakes, armadillos, etc all viewable from my patio.  It is like Wild Kingdom up in here

The shot below is from earlier this year.

eagle.jpg

@TroyMaybe you are looking in all the wrong places. As you know, money and class don't necessarily go hand in hand. Class tends to keep a low profile.   i wouldn't consider the Obamas high class. they are "noveau riche" although in Chicago's Hyde Park district where they have a residence, there is a smattering of black "old money".   BTW, have you ever been to Martha's Vineyard?

@Del Have you ever watched "Power"?  It and American Gods sound  like they might have the same appeal?

3 hours ago, Cynique said:

@Del Have you ever watched "Power"?  It and American Gods sound  like they might have the same appeal?

I think  I watched a few minutes. I commend 50 Cents he wants to be an actor and he is getting better. He produces a few shows and then has a small part in it. I don't know, but I am thinking probably not. There's  gay sex and there's a few sexual scenes I don't have a name for what happens. Did I mention there's some scenes with copious amounts of bloodshed.

The Obamas are rich.
Actually part of the Rich Class.

They aren't Aristocratic but still rich.

Most Aristocrats don't run for office.  
They CONTROL those who do, lol

The Koch brothers are an example of Aristocrats.

Elon Musk and Bill Gates are more public examples.

When it comes to traditional "class" in the United States.
Education and social status are still huge factors, not just money.

A poor high school drop out from the hood who hits the lottery and wins $25 million, is STILL not considered in the same "class" as Highschool teacher with a Masters Degree who only earns $75,000 a year.

Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson Rakes In Millions By Tweeting… |  StraightFromTheA.com - Atlanta Entertainment Industry News & Gossip  Stream Jimmy Wopo - Real Nigga (feat. Filthy Phil) by Trapnhardo & Wopo |  Listen online for free on SoundCloud

"Nicca I'm so rich......I can use these Benjamins for toilet paper!"

There's a reason for that......

Troy

There are alligators in the water, fox, deer, rabbit, turtles, snakes, armadillos, etc all viewable from my patio.  It is like Wild Kingdom up in here

And don't forget Brian Laundrie is/was among them rabbits and turtles....lol

15 hours ago, Cynique said:

i wouldn't consider the Obamas high class. they are "noveau riche" although in Chicago's Hyde Park district where they have a residence, there is a smattering of black "old money". 

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

The Obamas are rich.
Actually part of the Rich Class.

They aren't Aristocratic but still rich.

Well it's official.  Pioneer has regurgitated his approval of my assessment.  Sorry, Michele and Barack, you don't make the cut but give it a couple of more generations if your daughters don't marry fortune hunters who squander their inherited money.

They may be "dating" Black right now, but for some reason I think both Sasha and Malia will end up marrying White dudes.

Malia and Sasha Obama Appear in Michelle's "Becoming" Netflix Doc

If this were the 80s or 90s...I'd say no.
They'd get with some wealthy Black men who were also political and of prestige.

But today......
With so much dysfunction in the AfroAmerican community and so many AfroAmerican men running around in skirts and dresses and sexually confused???
Nah.
Brad and Jared are just WAITING around the corner for the perfect opportunity to introduce themselves and pull that wealth and power back into the AngloSaxon  American community.

Two Guys Pictures | Download Free Images on Unsplash

"Hey....uhh....brown sugar cakes!
You got what WE want...and we got what YOU need.
So uh....let's get it rockin' n rollin....sometime.....maybe!"

16 hours ago, Cynique said:

Class tends to keep a low profile.   i wouldn't consider the Obamas high class. they are "noveau riche" although in Chicago's Hyde Park district where they have a residence, there is a smattering of black "old money".   BTW, have you ever been to Martha's Vineyard?

i agree with all of the above. Perhaps in a few generation the Obama descendants make become upper class, but i doubt it.

Yes, I’ve been to Martha’s Vineyard. What striving Negro hasn’t?

@Pioneer1 i don’t know who

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Brian Laundrie

I don’t know who he is.

Troy 

The entire case was and still is VERY uninteresting to me.

What came as a surprise to me was how so many Black people on social media who have platforms were talking about it.

At first they said it was just another missing White girl case that the national media was sensationalizing.  But then even THEY themselves started focusing more on the story and engaging in the same things they were criticizing the national media over.

I remember you saying your move to Oklahoma was temporary.
So you're back in Florida for a while now, huh?

Did you even meet that smiling woman with the big dog they pictured in the advertisement to get you to move into that complex?

This wasn't her or the dog, but she looks similar...lol

Silence about my race kept my family apart. Could a rescue dog bring us  together? | Family | The Guardian