AALBC Newsletter - New Books, Events, Win a Free Book, and More - 6/18/2019

one-night-in-georgia

Set in the summer of 1968, One Night in Georgia, is a provocative and devastating novel of individual lives caught in the grips of violent history—a timely and poignant story that reverberates with the power of Alice Walker’s Meridian and Ntozake Shange’s Betsey Browne.

Recommended Reads

evil-never-sleeps

Evil Never Sleeps: Tales of Light and Darkness by Robert Fleming

“A compelling collection of unsettling tales, evil as a butterfly knife to the throat. Fleming’s daring visions resonate long after you’ve turned the final page.” —Brandon Massey, author of Dark Corner

Evil Never Sleeps is a stunning collection of chilling tales, portraying dark, nightmarish scenarios, blending fact and fiction, myth and history, magic and mystery. Fleming s writing is a bizarre mix of Kobo Abe, Edgar Allan Poe, Lovecraft, Joyce Carol Oates, Baldwin, and Ray Bradbury. Writing at a grotesque, bewitching tilt, Fleming bares the soul and psyche of his characters, and he spares us nothing. The stories collected here are riveting and haunting. More ►

the-source-of-self-regard

The Source of Self-Regard: Selected Essays, Speeches, and Meditations by Toni Morrison

“Morrison’s discussion spans decades; however, the reason for the discussions remain consistent to elucidate repression, control, the origins of racism, the effects of globalism, private and public space, the future, masculinity, language usage, population, the goals of war, race and raced, being foreign, and motherhood; and these mentioned issues are not comprehensive of all discussions in the text, each reader will interpret their own topics and issues from the writing.” Read the rest of Tony Lindsay’s Review ►

to-his-claim

His to Claim by Brenda Jackson

It could be his toughest mission yet: win back his wife. When navy SEAL and honorary Westmoreland Mac McRoy returns home, he discovers his wife has left. Teri has retreated to the Wyoming ranch they’d planned to visit together, and is resentful when he follows. She doesn’t want a second honeymoon; she wants a marriage Mac doesn’t take for granted. But life-or-death circumstances are about to put their love to the ultimate test. More ►

AALBC bestselling author, Brenda Jackson has written over 100 novels (59 are on AALBC), and is one of the America’s most successful romance novelists.

the-fund

The Fund by Kevin P. Chavous

In this stunning, action-packed follow up to The Plan, someone is killing the homeless in America’s largest cities. Whoever it is has the technology and access to stay one step ahead of the police. Do the killings relate to a proposed urban renewal fund being debated in Congress, designed, in part, to help the homeless? Or could this be a new copycat Plan? Or something else? Frustrated and stymied, the FBI asks Jackson Lowery and his team to find out who is behind the killings, leading them on a high stakes, nail-biting game of cat and mouse with a psychotic killer fueled by torture and murder. Read the first chapter.

an-american-marriage

“That’s your fate as a black man. Carried by six or judged by twelve.”

Tayari Jones:

–Years ago, when I was riding a bus in Atlanta, I sat next to a little boy was about eleven years old. He was scribbling “6 or 12” on the cover of his notebook. Curiosity got the best of me and I asked him to explain. It was a heartbreaking moment. I have often wondered what became of him. Who put this idea in his head so that he already felt his fate was sealed. I pray that life has shown him something different, but you never know.” More ►

Book Events

Rainbow-Book-Club-VI-news

Video – Rainbow Book Club VI Discussion of Barracoon

AALBC’s Troy Johnson Joined the Rainbow Book Club VI’s meeting, in St. Thomas USVI, on June 1, 2019, to discuss the book Barracoon: The Story of the Last “Black Cargo” by Zora Neale Hurston and Deborah G. Plant. It was a very interesting conversation, as members hail from Amsterdam, London, St. Thomas, South Carolina, and Jamaica. Learn more about the club and watch video excerpts from the discussion ►.

bpp2019banner-news

Photos from the Black Pack Party 2019

The 2019 celebration was sponsored by Kwame Alexander and Versify Books. The Black Pack Party, organized by AALBC, Linda Duggins, and One Book One Bronx, is an annual gathering of publishing industry professionals. It is held during Book Expo America. See all the photos from this year’s celebration.

Save the Date: The 2020 Black Pack Party will be held May 27, 2020 at the Frying Pan on the Hudson River in New York City.

Book Giveaway – After Life: My Journey from Incarceration to Freedom

after-life

Win a Free Copy of, After Life: My Journey from Incarceration to Freedom by Alice Marie Johnson

Three books will be mailed to three lucky entrants. To enter, simply click the “Click to Enter Contest” button below and you’ll be entered automatically. Three entries will be randomly selected on Monday, June 24th. You’ll be notified, via email, if your entry is one of the winners.

Books will only be mailed to addresses in the continental United States. This contest is limited to AALBC eNewsletter subscribers. Winners agree to have their name (first initial and last name) and city mentioned on AALBC.com. Read more about After Life ►

troy-120

Hello Troy,
If you are near Austin Texas this Saturday, June 22nd, please visit the Austin African American Book Festival and say hello. I’ll be discussing self-publishing, marketing, and distribution.

Please don’t forget; Independent book websites, like AALBC, thrive with your patronage and support. When you discover something of value on AALBC be sure to share the information with others. If you value what we do, purchase your subscription to this newsletter. If you have already paid for an annual subscription, thank you on behalf of AALBC and the writers whose work you are helping to support.

Peace and Love,
Troy Johnson
Founder & Webmaster, AALBC.com

This email is sponsored by Amistad

news-letter-banner

Our newsletter may be read on your Kindle ebook reader or via RSS. Consider sponsoring our eNewsletter or a dedicated mailing.

★ AALBC.com eNewsletter – June 18, 2019 - Issue #272