AALBC Endowment....

At over 20 years old......AALBC is literally an INSTITUTION right now.
A Black Literary institution.

I HAVE said over the years that AALBC should receive an ENDOWMENT.
Sort of like colleges and universities receive from various agencies like governments, corporations, and even their successful alumni.

I think those of us who've benefited from AALBC whether from Troy selling our books, giving our literature free reviews, giving our poetry a place to be read, or just giving us a platform to speak....should  show appreciation.

I've said often that if I were wealthy I ABSOLUTELY would be sending in funds to not only expand and promote this site but I really want to see atleast one AALBC  PHYSICAL BUILDING where people can hold events, purchase books, and warehouse books and other material.

image.jpeg.bdc816504b53af1bc5fcd943861ef79c.jpeg

Some of you may or may not believe this but it could actually expand to end up a major Black institution like Morehouse or Howard over the next 20  or 30 years with proper support and funding. 

• Like 2

I haven't been around here that long but I'll definitely invest in the site and promote it. 

All money ain't good. Some endowments come with strings or expectations attached.

Get the wrong paymaster and end up with this as an ad:

image.png.987ea71fbbcebf6d40e1982ce4d3e838.png

Not to worry. My crystal ball tells me AALBC will be just  fine over time.😎

ProfD

You're right.

That's why it's important for former students and other Black institutions need to support HBCUs themselves instead of expecting ONLY the federal government or McDonalds to do all of the heavy lifting to keep these institutions going.

This is one of the reasons I have so much respect for Bill and Camille Cosby despite his personally sins.
They gave so many MILLIONS of dollars to various Black colleges.
He did what most Black people with money should be doing.

Whoever pays the Piper calls the tunes.
If we don't want half of the young men in Morehouse or Howard walking around in high-heels and miniskirts...we better make sure WE are the primary benefactors of these institutions and not White financiers.

16 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

This is one of the reasons I have so much respect for Bill and Camille Cosby... They gave so many MILLIONS of dollars to various Black colleges.

Whoever pays the Piper calls the tunes.
If we don't want half of the young men in Morehouse or Howard walking around in high-heels and miniskirts...we better make sure WE are the primary benefactors of these institutions and not White financiers.

Absolutely. The Cosbys definitely payed it forward with HBCUs.

I *hate* the way those same institutions tried to distance themselves from Bill when sh8t hit the fan. 

White folks go down fighting on behalf of their benefactor regardless of whether they're good or bad.

Gil Scott-Heron sang  We Almost Lost Detroit:

Well, it might be too late for Morehouse which is located in Atlanta.

I'm hearing ATL has become the national headquarters of the black alphabet soup community.😁😎

ProfD

Oh man, Atlanta is the gay Black capital....lol.

It's the San Francisco of Black America...lol.

I remember going to Atlanta about 10 or 15 years ago and checking into a hotel room and saw a RAINBOW PAGES.

At first I thought it was just a artistic and colorful print of the Yellow Pages.  I started thumbing through it looking for restaurants and kept seeing "Lesbian this" and "Gay that" and "rainbow friendly".....

It didn't take me long to find out what was going on.

Then I got a job at a restaurant and nearly HALF of the dudes there were gay, and ALL of the male waiters were.

You can't get on a train or get a cup of coffee without some dude with a twinkle in his eye standing over in a far corner staring at you and "inviting" you over to get to know him.

Fighting for Survival: Three Ways Feminine Black Gay Men Are Forced To  Navigate Life | AZ Magazine

"Excuuuuse me.
Could you come over here for a minute?
I have something SSSPECIAL to tell you.
It won't take but a second....I promissse."

I'm not sure exactly what happened to that city, but the rainbow runs right through it.

I wonder if it may be a....not a curse....but some type of punishment put on the children of the Black people who ran away from other cities.

11 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

Oh man, Atlanta is the gay Black capital....lol.

It's the San Francisco of Black America...lol.

I'm not sure exactly what happened to that city, but the rainbow runs right through it.

I wonder if it may be a....not a curse....but some type of punishment put on the children of the Black people who ran away from other cities.

Yeah, I don't know when ATL developed that lisp. I didn't notice it when I visited down there back in the early 2000s.

I've been told there's a certain part of the city with all types of brothas on the alphabet soup stroll.  We talking about football player, Suge Knight and Deebo looking n8gglets.  A sad state of affairs.

Well, the silver lining or pot of gold at the end of that rainbow is that there is a plethora of lonely, thirsty, AfroAmerican women in ATL. 

If i was a younger man, I would charter a bus to go down there and pick up those damsels in distress and bring them back to my house. 😁😎

• Haha 1

ProfD

If i was a younger man, I would charter a bus to go down there and pick up those damsels in distress and bring them back to my house.

Problem is.....half of the "women" you pick up might not even be real women.
And you won't find out until it's TOO LATE...lol.

Fuck around and pick up Lil Nas X and have HIM chasing you around the house....lol

I actually learned quite a lot about the homo/bisexual community in general during my brief residence in Atlanta.

One of the things I found out was like you said, a man doesn't necessarily have to talk with a lisp and look feminine to be gay.
There's a lot of very muscular masculine dudes who are as gay as  picnic basket.

Sexual preference is different than gender and your "operating system".

Same with women.
You have women who are very feminine and petite...but are Lesbian.
You also have women who are butch and Tomboyish....but LOVE them some Vitamin "D"...lol.

Speaking of which......
I also used to live in Charlotte North Carolina.
And just like Atlanta was a capital for gay Black men; Charlotte seemed to be the capital for Lesbian Black women!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

ProfD

If i was a younger man, I would charter a bus to go down there and pick up those damsels in distress and bring them back to my house.

Problem is.....half of the "women" you pick up might not even be real women.
And you won't find out until it's TOO LATE...lol.

Fuck around and pick up Lil Nas X and have HIM chasing you around the house....lol

Hilarious. But, nah bro, I'm a hood n8gga who stays on code.  I'd do a strip search physical before anyone could step foot on the bus. Let some nutz hang and watch the left hook and cane swing.  Singapore style. 😁😎

• Haha 2

I'm not letting THIS one go so easy.

AALBC is an INSTITUTION in the Black community now.

image.png.cb031aad49bea0f211eb2f78961288a1.png

🧑‍🎓

And those who have benefited from that institution have a responsibility to help maintain and EXPAND it.

This is actually bigger than Troy Johnson....in my opinion.

Just like Fisk, Morehouse, and Howard are bigger than those who founded them.

These fine institutions grew to be bigger than the mere business of the indidivuals who founded them, but have become a cornerstone of Black American Academic culture.

Speaking of Howard.....
I was reading about how the students at Howard are protesting the shitty living conditions in their on-campus dorms.
Seems to me that many of these HBCUs are relying entirely too much on tuition and government funding for their mantenance and not enough of the Alumni are giving money back like Mr and Mrs Cosby have done.

AfroAmericans have a RESPONSIBILITY to support our own!
If we don't....who will?

This is AfroAmerican History.

AfroAmerican Legacy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

AALBC is an INSTITUTION in the Black community now.

This is AfroAmerican History.

AfroAmerican Legacy

************************************************************************************

I think it's a great idea but I think in order to receive an endowment one 

would need to be a non-profit, and an actual institution like a university 

or a foundation.  Not a business.

But I certainly agree that what Troy has done here is PHENOMENAL and 

he should be commended in every possible way.

WE LOVE YOU TROY!!!  ❤️

************************************************************************************

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 10:50 PM, Pioneer1 said:

I really want to see atleast one AALBC  PHYSICAL BUILDING where people can hold events, purchase books, and warehouse books and other material.

That is probably my problem I think too small.

13 hours ago, Mzuri said:

WE LOVE YOU TROY!!!  ❤️

I love y’all too that is why every newsletter ends with “peace and love.” None of this would be possible without y’all.

I watched the skit with Jamie Foxx dressed up as a woman. I did not find it funny at all. I never did like the Wanda character…

Jamie Foxx, I would later learn is super talented. The role of Wanda was actually beneath him, but in this wacky culture of ours, roles like that launch careers. Jamie has a new memoir out.

Jamie foxx new book

• Like 1

Troy

That is probably my problem I think too small.

Perhaps you're so focused on day to day operations you don't have time to sit around imagining what "could" be.
I have a HUGE (Donald Trump said "Yuge") and very vivid imagination...lol.

I have mixed feelings on the Wanda character.

I like it for what it is....
Which was a Black comedy show that knew it's Black audience would find humor in such a masculine/muscular man like Jamie...a man who was so obviously NOT feminine....portraying a woman.

Perhaps that's the the "humor" in most cross dressing skits.

But if it were a White comedy show like SNL or Mad Tv who had a Black man dressing up like a Wanda...I'd take offense to it.
Why?

Because I wouldn't be sure if it was an attempt at pure comedy or an attempt to humiliate and psychologically castrate Black men.

Mzuri

I think it's a great idea but I think in order to receive an endowment one 
would need to be a non-profit, and an actual institution like a university 
or a foundation.  Not a business.

Really?
I'm not too educated on the matter so perhaps you're right.

I know SOME are state owned, but I thought most colleges and universities WERE businesses.
They weren't owned by the government.
Perhaps they had 501C3 status or something that puts them in a different category all together.

At any rate....

When I say "endowment" I'm not talking STICTLY government money.
Don't get me wrong: I would like for someone to set up a plan where AALBC would get money from either the Federal, State, or Local government!
Ofcourse Troy would have to look into it to make sure there were no strings attached (and there usually are) that would affect how he operates his business.  
However..........

When I say "endowment", I'm really speaking of Black people and businesses who have benefited from this site.
-Those who have had their intellectual property promoted.
-Those who have had their poetry given a platform.
-Those who have gotten free reviews.
-As well as those who haven't, but just want to see more Black success in this society .

I think THEY should actually be giving some of THEIR money to maintain and expand this institution!

Now ofcourse if you're  BROKE and living in your grandma's basement with a stack of comic-books in the corner....you probably don't have the money to give.  But those who are successful authors and poets who have benefitted CAN share some of those earnings to help maintain and expand this site and turn it into a major institution.

Say you're an author who makes over $100,000 a year....

You mean to tell me you can't VOLUNTARILY send in 2 or 3 grand every year or even every quarter to maintain the largest and oldest Black literary site?

But if a bunch of White kids come to you asking you to donate to the "Clean-up-the-Environment Foundation" and promises you a seat and the annual luncheon just to sit around a bunch of White folks and grin at corny jokes......

The world is so unsafe': Environmental activists pledge not to have kids |  CBC News

"Climate Change is worse than slavery!
Air Pollution is worse than the holocaust!"

....you're writing ALL TYPES of checks for them.

Silly Negroes giving money to rich White folks with nothing better to do than yell and scream nonsense, who don't even need it.

image.jpeg.f15642fb22cd516466827a5576a10c64.jpeg

"Ooooooo  I'm gonna do a GOOD deed!
White Jesus will be so proud of me!"

• Like 1

Everything is about scale. Not all businesses require a physical location which generally means more overhead and operating costs.

However, that doesn't preclude an endowment by way of each and everyone making a charitable contribution to AALBC and spreading the word of its existence. 

The internet created a paradigm shift in the way businesses set up and operate. It's definitely a win for smaller businesses. 

Post pandemic, the future will be less buildings and more shared spaces (hoteling) and remote work.  

Again, AALBC will be a fine institution as long as we the people continue to put our proverbial 2 cents in it. Of course, that has to be adjusted for inflation. 😁😎

• Like 1

ProfD

Everything is about scale. Not all businesses require a physical location which generally means more overhead and operating costs.

True

But this so-called "modern" business environment is giving too many AfroAmericans an excuse to be be lazy and stagnant.

I've ran into so many Black folks who are claiming to be "business owners" and "entrepreneurs" passing out cards and shit.
But their businesses are online.
Little pop-ups here and there.

Don't get me wrong there is need for an online presence.
But what we need MORE of is solid brick-n-mortar businesses.

A place to lay your head and wash your rusty ass when you come to town for business.
A Black hotel will give you that.
But some "online" crypto-currency crap won't.

The internet created a paradigm shift in the way businesses set up and operate. It's definitely a win for smaller businesses. 

The internet...yes.
Social media in specific...I'm not so sure.
Jury's still out.

I remember when facebook came out some many Black businesses SWITCHED OVER from having an actual website to just getting a facebook page.
Sheer laziness and lack of forward thinking.

Why would you give up your independent website just to sell your wares under someone else's domain/roof?

Now at one of my main soul food restaurants if you want to take a look at their menu you have to sign up for facebook and become a member.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Our people need to stop seeking what they THINK are the easiest ways so much.

Post pandemic, the future will be less buildings and more shared spaces (hoteling) and remote work.  

I think that's what Troy's doing right now.

Working in some creepy ass building with nothing but funny acting White folks who all stop talking and stare at their laptops as soon as HE walks through the door....lol.

What Type of Work Environment Do You Prefer?

"Hey there T......"

We gotta get that brother a BUILDING with a top floor and penthouse office...lol.

• Like 1

Pioneer, rest assured that a lazy and stagnant business won't last very long. 😁

Most business cards aren't worth the paper on which they're printed. I toss a lot of them into the garbage can. 😁

Whether it's brick and mortar or an online business, there are costs associated with running it. 

Opening a McDonald's franchise used to require about $100k in start-up money. It's probably closer to a half a million now. 

Granted, nobody's gonna open a food service business online but instead of looking for a brick and mortar building, some folks will start with a food truck. They can do pretty well showing up in busy work areas around lunch time. Same food. Different delivery model. 

Again, it goes back to vision and scale. When the business requires moving into a building the owner(s) will know. 😎

• Like 1

ProfD

When the business requires moving into a building the owner(s) will know.

Like when they run out of room in their grandmother's basement for storing boxes of t-shirts or mix-tapes?

Or when she starts upping the rent money to deal with the inconveniences of having to move 10 boxes every night just to do her laundry?

image.jpeg.e732eb35cbcc85e4bc4155d5b8d24f26.jpeg

"DeMonte!
Gitcho ass down here and move
this shit outta the waaaaay!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Which was a Black comedy show that knew it's Black audience would find humor in such a masculine/muscular man like Jamie...a man who was so obviously NOT feminine....portraying a woman.

I just thing the Wanda character is crass and not very funny.  Was the intent to show how it feels to a guy when an unattractive women is attracted to you?  What make it funny?

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I think THEY should actually be giving some of THEIR money to maintain and expand this institution!

I do too.  But they can simply patronize the site too.  Every day I have to explain to an author that, as a bookseller, telling me your book is available on Amazon does not interest me. 

Just this week I was on an almost 100% Black zoom conference commemorating a Black owned business.  There were several established Black booksellers on the call to.  But every time a Black author talked about buying a book they mentioned Amazon -- I'm not talking about young ignorant authors either.  I'm talking about supposedly conscious Black writers.  Again they are completely clueless on this sort of think.  Their default is anything but a Black business.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

When the web started this was true, but today that is no longer the case.  The web, for most people, is really just a few sites.

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I remember when facebook came out some many Black businesses SWITCHED OVER from having an actual website to just getting a facebook page.
Sheer laziness and lack of forward thinking.

Why would you give up your independent website just to sell your wares under someone else's domain/roof?

Now at one of my main soul food restaurants if you want to take a look at their menu you have to sign up for facebook and become a member.
Absolutely ridiculous.

This makes my point to @ProfD  Facebook famously told businesses that you have to pay to reach your contacts.  I appreciated their honestly, but I took a few years to build 20K fans and Facebook simply took the information and charged me for it.  It was not long afterwards that I stopped meaningfully participating on the platform.

I've already shared with you how Facebook regularly rejects innocuous books on their website.  They have banned numerous romance titles from their website:

facebook bans romance.jpg

I regular research Black author and Black business information for many, Facebook is their primary web presence, for most of the others there Facebook presence is actually superior.  Plus Google serves up one's Facebook page before their official website.  Another reason I ditched Facebook because it was beating my website on searches for my name!

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

This is a big deal. I benefited a great deal with my office space in Tulsa.  I'm working with someone to establish our own coworking space in Tulsa as well. I'm actually in Florida right now, looking for office space (shared).  

• Like 1

Troy

Was the intent to show how it feels to a guy when an unattractive women is attracted to you?  What make it funny?

I wasn't in the head of the writers who wrote it but, like most comedy skits where men dress up like women...it was funny to ME because of the blaring contrasts.

When it comes to cross dressing comedy, they almost always use MASCULINE men to do it instead of men who could actually pass for women if they tried..lol.

It's for this reason you'd probably never see someone like Pharrell dressed up in drag for comedy.

image.jpeg.769ed1b905cfe5c5041517f8ab2d2713.jpeg

This contrast...the obvious ridiculousness of it...is the humor.

This is a big deal. I benefited a great deal with my office space in Tulsa.  I'm working with someone to establish our own coworking space in Tulsa as well. I'm actually in Florida right now, looking for office space (shared).  

Silly question but....🤔

What exactly can you do in these public co-working spaces that can't be done in the comfort of your own home if you cleared out a room and dedicated it to office work?

Is it a psychological thing?

Does being too close to home (actually at home) relaxes you too much and takes you out of a business/work frame of mind?

I ask, because I've passed by DOZENS of these "shared work space" buildings and although I haven't been in one...they keep their doors locked....what I SEE when I look in them are a bunch of people sitting at tables tapping away on computers and getting up from time to time to little mini-kitchens to grab some coffee or tea and going back to their little space.

Hell, they can do that at their local library.

A couple thousand for a decent desk, fax machine, printer, ect...is probably worth it for a home office.

PLUS you don't have to worry about Covid...lol.

13 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

What exactly can you do in these public co-working spaces that can't be done in the comfort of your own home if you cleared out a room and dedicated it to office work?

Is it a psychological thing?

The physical interaction with other people. 

• My Tulsa office, for example, introduced me to the world of venture capital.  I may be able to take advantage of this would could be substantial for AALBC.
  • I have had people come to my office and buys book from me on the spot.  
  • The text messaging service I use is from a startup that was right next to me in the office
  • There is a company that sells web development and SEO to HVAC companies and I learned quite a bit from the owner.
  • I have started learning about Crypto currency through folks in the office

I could go on, but none of those would have happened in my home office.

I have worked in Libraries, cafes, Starbucks, and B&N's but this pales in comparison to a proper desk in a coworking space or home office.

I work as hard from from any location.  Right now I'm on my patio in Florida (photo below). This time of year it is great, work space, but without other people you are constrained.  I have largely worked in isolation for virtually all of AALBC's existence and that, in hindsight, has stunted the site's growth. Incorporating the ideas of others makes you better.

Troy at works

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

3 hours ago, Troy said:

I work as hard from any location.  

@Pioneer1

I would only use that type of office space if I needed to meet with clients, 

and then it would be those shared executive offices.  I can’t imagine working

around a bunch of random people during pandemic.

@Troy

Thank you for sharing your lifestyles of the rich and famous pix of you and the 

flamingo/sand hill cranes with the rest of us peons who reside in hovels.  

Now, if you will please define the class of people who think that website

development is hard work.  

JK, I am glad that you are able to spend the winter in temperate climes. 

And BTW, with 26,500 web pages, I think yours is one of the largest

authority sites in the world.

image.gif.b05fef28d3e6760b4f9376c41adcdba5.gif

Mzuri

I would only use that type of office space if I needed to meet with clients, 
and then it would be those shared executive offices.  I can’t imagine working
around a bunch of random people during pandemic.

Exactly.

I wouldn't want everybody meeting at my home.  I'd schedule a time and place to meet.
But for routine work...nah...I'd rather be at home with the flamingos and sand-hill cranes during a global Pandemic...lol.

JK, I am glad that you are able to spend the winter in temperate climes. 

Yeah....
And that's about the ONLY time Florida IS "temperate"...lol...in the winter.
The rest of the year that place is as hot as a sauna.

We Are The Ones: "Foreign White Substance" on Steam Room Floor Spurs  Lawsuit Against Manhattan Gym

Two men waiting at a 
bus stop in Florida

Troy

What part of Florida?

I think I see Brian Laundrie out in the distance!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mzuri said:

Now, if you will please define the class of people who think that website

development is hard work.  

That wouldn’t be a determination of one’s class. 

keep in mind i started building sites almost from the moment that HTML was introduced to the public and I’ve been working on this site for over 24 years. I also greatly enjoy the activity. So it might look hard to someone who does not share the experience.

Also, there is a lot that I don’t know about web development, which is why i don’t build sites for others I’m optimized for AALBC.

My time in the coworking space, with other people, has helped the website — despite the pandemic.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mzuri said:

26,500 web pages

i forgot to ask was this just a random number you used to make a point, or did you get it from someplace?

i ask because the number would be very low the discussion Forums alone have more pages than that, and the main web site has way more than that too.

The reason the site is so large is because most of content is stored in a database and the webpages are created with queries. The fact AALBC was costumed designed this way it the site’s biggest distinguishing factor.

Interestingly (at least to me) I learned how to build a database driven site when i started teaching web design 5 years ago. I simply did not know how to do it before that and it really has made all the difference in the world. This is s feature of what is called Web 2.0

My biggest technical challenge will be to gear up for Web 3.0…

17 minutes ago, Troy said:

i forgot to ask was this just a random number you used to make a point, or did you get it from someplace?

I used Google advanced search and entered the domain

in the site or domain field.

I tried it again just now and it gave 29,000 results so it

seems like it is a random fluctuating number.

You're saying that your pages are dynamic, which would

explain why that is so.

I build my static HTML sites the old fashioned way, if I

have my content all ready I can setup a 20-page site in

about four hours. 

WordPress is great when the functionality of a plug-in

is required.

Troy is clearly in the Professional Class (Upper Middle Class), lol...though he's pretending that he's not.

What professionals call "hard work" isn't the same as what most poor and working class people call "hard work".

Most poor and working-class people are in the service industry and do a lot of PHYSICAL WORK like construction, warehouse, factory, and unloading trucks.
For them the work is PHYSICAL and based on a time clock.
Hard work for them is forcing them to work 2 hours over, or sweating and exerting themselves more than usual.

1,714 Tired Construction Workers Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free  Images - iStock

Hardwork for a professional like a teacher or lawyer or engineer is being forced to stay later than usual, do extra paper work, working an extra day out of the week...lol.

Any sweat you see on the forehead of someone of the Professional Class is usually due to the STRESS...not physical exertion, lol.

image.jpeg.fb8052fef2174e798a92eb5ec127a4fa.jpeg

"I have ticket to Phantom Of The
Opera tonight; and they spring 
THIS on me at the last minute?
It's so UNFAIR"